Dual Boot Questions/problems

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
xenobill

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dual Boot Questions/problems

Post by xenobill » Tue May 03, 2016 2:48 am

I started toying around with a second copy of windows 7 on my PC and upgraded it to 10 a couple of months back. Last night I had nothing recording on the main windows 7 boot and decided to try out the WMC windows 10 hack on the other boot and got it to work no problems, besides the guide being way wrong. Before i went to sleep booted back to 7 because I needed to record the Cavs game and 12 monkeys. They didn't record because of the time changed, which I *think is fixed by setting 10 to UTC and fixing the clock in the BIOS.

Anyway, at first 12 monkeys and all of my protected recordings where giving me drm errors until I went back and corrected the timing issues. Now only 12 monkeys won't let me play it, saying it was recorded on another computer (it wasn't). No big deal I'll catch the recording later as it appears everything is working normally. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on if I fixed the error properly and why just that recording is giving me the drm error. Originally I tried the old dualboot windows and linux/mac regedit and it did nothing. Thanks in advance.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Ant time I ever had to change the clock in the BIOS..... It meant the MB battery is dead. Also, if battery is dead, and you cold boot, your BIOS settings can revert to DEFAULT. Default can change your computer hardware list and result in DRM ERRORS in the OS.

You likely need to replace the battery, then set up your BIOS again, with the same tweaks you had before the battery dead/cold boot, then your DRM recordings will work again.

xenobill

Post by xenobill » Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 am

Thanks, I hope that's not the issue with the battery, MB is about a year. I booted between 10 and 7 about 4 times last night I didn't see a recurrence. I accepted a 25 minute update the night it happened on windows 10, plus all the other stuff with the WMC hack I downloaded. Will check the BIOS settings when all the recordings are done tonight. Appreciate it.

Space

Post by Space » Thu May 05, 2016 3:15 am

As far as I know, with modern computers, the motherboard battery is only used if you turn off the computer at the power supply or unplug it. At other times (computer on or soft-off) the battery isn't used.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:32 am

Space wrote:As far as I know, with modern computers, the motherboard battery is only used if you turn off the computer at the power supply or unplug it. At other times (computer on or soft-off) the battery isn't used.
I agree. You just described a Cold Boot.... and if..... your battery is dead, your Bios reverts to default. all your tweaks are gone..... and now you have different computer....that screws your DRM.

xenobill

Post by xenobill » Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 am

Figured I post that I checked the bios settings, they where ok. Unplugged the machine over night and everything was fine after the cold boot as described. The only thing I can think is that unchecking the "let windows set time automatically" in the 10 boot fixed this. Hopefully this helps someone. Thanks.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Tue May 10, 2016 9:24 am

xenobill wrote:They didn't record because of the time changed
If you are switching between two different Windows installations on the same system, you need to be careful about the change to and from Daylight Saving Time.

I have several Windows installations in different partitions on the same system. The one current when Daylight Saving Time starts/ends changes the system time (correct). But the next time that I boot one of the other Windows installations, that OS thinks that the switch to/from DST is overdue, and so changes to/from DST again (so the system time is now one hour in error). My systems are not connected to the internet all of the time, so the clock remains incorrect for some time, unless I correct it manually.

One solution would be to disable automatic switching to/from DST, but I boot the alternative Windows installations so rarely that I have left auto DST-switching enabled, and simply remember to check the system time following a DST change.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK