WMC on Win 10 with DRM channels?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
andy_d

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Win 10 with DRM channels?

Post by andy_d » Sun May 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Just wondering how successful it has been for people who have used v12 from mydigitallife. I want to switch over to Windows 10 before it is no longer free to upgrade this summer but I'm a bit hesitant to make the move.

I know with earlier versions there were issues with getting drm protected channels to work properly. I'm wondering if this was sorted out? Like is it possible to watch and record those channels

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun May 01, 2016 3:52 pm

andy_d wrote:Just wondering how successful it has been for people who have used v12 from mydigitallife. I want to switch over to Windows 10 before it is no longer free to upgrade this summer but I'm a bit hesitant to make the move.

I know with earlier versions there were issues with getting drm protected channels to work properly. I'm wondering if this was sorted out? Like is it possible to watch and record those channels
I 2nd that. My concerns are mainly extenders (we have Hbo but I can view on HBO GO if need be). I have 2 xboxes and a ceton echo. I can live without the echo. Also, I worry Microsoft may eventually figure out a way to shut down the hack (even without update).

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Sun May 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Well, my hope is that this WMC hack is a temp fix and that HDHomerun will deliver on the DVR they promised last year. They have been dragging their feet when it comes to DRM channels. It's probably not an easy thing to solve but they have done very little to communicate on the status

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun May 01, 2016 4:54 pm

OK, you do need to spend some time on the MDL forum and do a little reading.

As for your questions. DRM channels do work on v12, Extenders do not work out of the box but, if you read, say the last 20 or so pages on MDL, there is directions to get Extenders working and a few people have reported that 360's work perfect with it (if your on Windows 7, remember 8+ you cant use 3rd party extenders ONLY the 360).

My suggestion, Find a good solid backup program. Backup your whole OS drive. Take the Windows 10 upgrade, install v12 (make sure you install v12), get the extenders working and TEST fully. If you have a problem, Restore your past OS and as you took the upgrade your Key should have both OS's on that one Key, so later you SHOULD be able to upgrade again at a later point(this has NOT been 100% confirmed yet).

Now that I got WMC 7 working so flawless (perfect, no other way to say it), I was dual booting with Windows 8.1 with WMC (no menu so it would boot directly to the OS with no pop up), I am going to remove 8.1 and put on W7 home premium I have to take the "10" upgrade on and leave it alone.

So my OS works but, I will have a legal copy of 10 ready to go when it's ready.....or I feel there is a NEED to move to 10, On a dedicated HTPC, I am not sure about that.

andy_d wrote:Well, my hope is that this WMC hack is a temp fix and that HDHomerun will deliver on the DVR they promised last year. They have been dragging their feet when it comes to DRM channels. It's probably not an easy thing to solve but they have done very little to communicate on the status
I have been watching that, the interface is a joke and it's what they are promoting. If it comes to light like that, forget it, even if it's a different option. If they allow it to be plugged into 3rd party options, it might be something to look at.

Also, guide data is like $30 a year on it...WMC is still free, and if you want 3rd party guide data, there is a Pay option for that too...

Sad to say, HDHomerun has been a joke, would of preferred Jriver's option get it, if they were first I bet they would of gotten it...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

aaronc1976

Post by aaronc1976 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:44 am

I have v12 installed on my machine. It was clean install of Windows 10 on a fresh build. Every time I try and watch a DRM channel, I get a "Service is Scrambled" message from WMC. Is there something I am not doing correctly?

go45cvi

Post by go45cvi » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Was able to get DRM working on W10 (at least for the moment). Here are the steps I took since I could not find a comprehensive post on the awful MDL thread. This was after an upgrade from W8.1 Pro with WMC on a ZBOX IQ-01 with Intel HD4600 which is my secondary HTPC (too cautious to do the main yet). After the upgrade I uninstalled DCA, Playready, Shark007; not sure that was necessary. Since I can only have 3 links you'll have to google for 7zip, Shark007/LAV.

0. Goes without saying, but save a backup BEFORE you get started

1. Download 7zip

2. Install WMC 12.7 follow the links from the 1st post, need to register to see links (download through the browser not mega adware): http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ternatives

3. Download and install DCA 64bit http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... up_x64.msi

4. Download and install Playready 64bit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5445

5. Download and install LAV or Shark007 (use 7zip on the installer to get rid of adware)

6. Install Ceton/HRP drivers (have not tested ceton)

7. Install ALL Windows updates

8. Activate Digital Cable in WMC

9. TV Setup in WMC

I have not tried extenders yet, will update if I can get my X360 working or any issues crop up (cross fingers).
Still looking for a replacement for WMC that isn't $1000 Tivo

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi. A few questions...

1) What did you use for HDHomerun drivers? The service needed isn't in the latest

2) Is there a 12.7 version or do you mean 12?

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:54 pm

I've answered my own questions...

1) I had to install the old drivers first

2) There is only 12

I don't think you need 3 and 4 since WMC will have you install

Why did you do #5 though?

toxicman

Post by toxicman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:07 am

I've not been able to get DRM working despite following these directions. Using wmc12.7 and followed the directions to the tee. Have an hdhomerun prime. The other strange behavior I get it when I first launch wmc and go to live tv, it won't play, tosses an error about monitor support for hdcp. I have to minimize wmc and then expand it again and it works.

Been spending way too much time troubleshooting to no avail.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:56 pm

WMC does not work well if any of your monitors are using DP. It has been this way since WIN7.

breezytm

Post by breezytm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:42 am

If anyone having issue detecting hdhomerun prime in windows 10 media center, use an older version of the software. I can't help but to wonder why an older version work but any version with the HDHR dvr feature does not.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdo ... /0/1?tsf=0

go45cvi

Post by go45cvi » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:47 am

I got it working on another w7 pc. Shark was not necessary. I had to dl thr latest hr drivers but no issue. Word is the anniversary update may break it. Cross fingers.
Still looking for a replacement for WMC that isn't $1000 Tivo