Tuners not found (Win10, TV4-PCI, 13.6.3.1088)

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
BasiliskPie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuners not found (Win10, TV4-PCI, 13.6.3.1088)

Post by BasiliskPie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 pm

This morning my desktop ran Win8.1 & WMC w/o problems. After verifying WMC installed on my laptop and played TV files, I loaded Win10 expecting no problems because others seemed to have installed WMC successfully. No such luck for me.

System:
AMD 1055T + 16GB + AMD video card.
Win10 (just updated) -- Release 10.0.10586
WMC port 13.6.3.1088 (Could not get system to run WMC with later release)
Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI (s/w de-installed and re-installed after Win10)
InfiniTV diagnostics: "Reset Network Settings" "failed to reset". All else, including Channel test, were successful.

Per Subject, every WMC function accessing tuners fails.

Device Mgr indicates Ceton devices/drivers are fine.

MS [cable device manager (or whatever it's called)] isn't on system (nor in WMC release), so I couldn't try that. (Solitary downloadable copy was Suspicious.)

Other posts indicated some tool under "Extras" was useful (was it cable device mgr?). Never found -anything- under Extras that was useful.

I'm at a loss. WMC plays previously recorded TV, but can't connect to tuners. Perfect timing: I'm heading away for two weeks... sigh.

Tx for any help!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:09 pm

Are you using Version WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12.7z ? (v12) after you extract v12 to your install folder read Readme.txt and Workaround.txt Some of the common gotcha's are explained there.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602

Start reading, and when you get to one of my posts, download DCA, PlayReady, and LAV from my Signature. I think DCA (Digital Cable Advisor) is the one you are missing now. You will likely need the other two further on. I usually install all three, plus the tuner drivers, before even running WMC.

Win8.1 to Win10 is not a normal Upgrade, as we consider an upgrade to be. This type of upgrade completely wipes out your previous stuff. It shouldn't even be called an upgrade.

BasiliskPie

Post by BasiliskPie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:47 am

Thanks! Amidst packing, I've tried your links and steps - after uninstalling and removing all WMC files I'd accumulated in my numerous efforts.

I've compounded my problems amidst all that: I tried installing your linked DCA and it refused with some complaint. I then told it to uninstall and tried the install again. Ugh: I apparently uninstalled a W10 DCA, and the linked one would not install saying it was for a different Win version.

Searched for a W10 DCA to install or a repair method and hit nothing. Too busy getting ready for trip, now. Will have to defer this for 2 weeks.

FWIW, the linked WMC installed w/ no errors, but failed to create a Service and wouldn't run the User interface.

So it goes!

PS: your Workarounds file was considerably different than the one I'd previously read. Sounded like just the thing... if things hadn't fallen apart.

aseries

Post by aseries » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:30 pm

I have a new system I put together mainly to experiment with Windows 10. One of the first items was WMC. I installed the WMC on W10 software back in January and it all ran perfectly. I am on the W10 Fast circle and somewhere along the way one of the new builds lost something that allowed WMC to function with my configuration. I use an HDHOMERUN device to pick up COMCAST cable and feed it to my network. Since then WMC setup can not find any tuners despite all efforts. Maybe I am suspicious but my guess is that MS has deliberately inserted some code to disable a critical service or interface. The HDHOMERUN native software works just fine so it has to be something that targets WMC.