Setting up WMC on Win10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:54 am

That is a good Heads Up for the next person.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:30 am

Covale wrote:Ok, I finally have it working - sort of... I did as you suggested and ran the v8 uninstall, then for good measure I ran the v12 uninstall because the shortcut to WMC was still in the all programs. Rebooted and installed unstalled Playready and rebooted again. Then installed v11, per your recommendation. Ran the TV setup, found the tuners on my Windows 7 PC in the living room (this is the office PC) and I was finally able to watch TV, just not premium channels like HBO and Showtime. I was getting an error "Display Driver Error. The video playback device does not support playback of protected content.", so I researched that.
I don't remember how to fix Display Driver Error permanently. The workaround is maximize, then restore down BLIND. You cant see the restore down button but click on where it should be. The Reset PlayReady you found was for Win7 and for an entirely different problem.

1) I did reset Win10 a time or 2. After a reset I install DCA, PlayReady, LAV, and the Tuner Drivers. then boot. This prepares the O/S for the injection of WMC.

2) Using Windows Explorer...Navigate to the WMC Install folder, then right click TestRights and run as Admin, then, in the DOS window that TestRights opens for you...navigate in DOS to the WMC install folder and type installer. boot and wait a long time. I went for a nap and came back an hour later.

3) Startup WMC and run Setup/Custom and Configure all 5 or 6 steps.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:16 am

Sometimes this error can appear if you have more than one "Display adapter" in Device manager. Each one needs to be HDCP compliant or you may get that error even on the compliant device. It can even happen if you have virtual adapters such as the one installed by VNC (in which case uninstalling VNC fixes it).

Another thing that can cause this is a bad/faulty HDMI port or HDMI cable. I from time to time get this problem and disconnecting the cable from my TV and reconnecting fixes it (I believe due to a loose HDMI connector).

Covale

Post by Covale » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Crash2009 wrote:1) I did reset Win10 a time or 2. After a reset I install DCA, PlayReady, LAV, and the Tuner Drivers. then boot. This prepares the O/S for the injection of WMC.
I think that could be my problem. I did not install the LAV filters, are they necessary if I am only using WMC to watch TV? Also, in the Extras, DCA does not exist, and actually there are no extras or any option to download any extras. I completely forgot about this step. I found a few posts that talk about running the following:
From: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... itpromedia

cd c:\Windows\ehome
start /wait mcupdate -u –nogc

I'll try this when I get home tonight.

Covale

Post by Covale » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Space wrote:Sometimes this error can appear if you have more than one "Display adapter" in Device manager. Each one needs to be HDCP compliant or you may get that error even on the compliant device. It can even happen if you have virtual adapters such as the one installed by VNC (in which case uninstalling VNC fixes it).

Another thing that can cause this is a bad/faulty HDMI port or HDMI cable. I from time to time get this problem and disconnecting the cable from my TV and reconnecting fixes it (I believe due to a loose HDMI connector).
I actually have 2 display adapters in this box, but they are both identical R9 290 cards crossfired and using the latest drivers from ATI. I need the extra GPU power because I am running 4 displays where one is a 4K HDTV. All cables are new/high quality.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:29 pm

Covale wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:1) I did reset Win10 a time or 2. After a reset I install DCA, PlayReady, LAV, and the Tuner Drivers. then boot. This prepares the O/S for the injection of WMC.
1) I did not install the LAV filters, are they necessary if I am only using WMC to watch TV?

2) Also, in the Extras, DCA does not exist, and actually there are no extras or any option to download any extras.
1) I think LAV or Shark007 was suggested in the readme or workaround in version 2.1 (v2.1) or version 10 (v10) if you get "Decoder Error". Necessary or not, I have installed LAV as insurance of eliminating the error before it pops up.

2) Again.....I believe DCA and PlayReady have been REMOVED from the OS. They need to be put back in to the OS so WMC can find them. Download and install the stand alone version of DCA and PlayReady from the link in my signature. Forget about WMC for a moment... install DCA, PlayReady, LAV, and the Tuner Drivers in Win10.

download DCA, click install.
download PlayReady, click install.
download LAV, click install
download your tuner drivers, click install. I have only installed this Win10/WMC with a HDHR-3CC. When you install the HDHR Software, make sure to select the WMC option. If it is some "other tuner" you are on your own.

Boot, login, and go for lunch. a 1 hour absence is plenty.

3) After you come back from your 1 hour absence.....

Open up WMC and run Setup/CUSTOM.
This will force you to configure all the setup steps, including monitor setup.

I am unable to support a 4 monitor setup. To get this running correctly, just use one monitor. 4 monitors is going to be an experimental process of its own. Probably need a whole new thread for that one.

By the way, WMC does not work with DisplayPort.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:28 pm

You forgot to copy one of the links.

Covale

Post by Covale » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Crash2009 wrote:You forgot to copy one of the links.
The link in your sig at MDL for DCA was a dead domain:
http://www.nkonecny.com/blog/2012/01/06 ... e-advisor/

However, I was able to load a cached version through google. Here are those links for Digital Cable Advisor direct downloads:

For x64 systems:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... up_x64.msi

For x86 systems:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... up_x86.msi

Covale

Post by Covale » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Well, I finally figured it out. Turned out I had a bad/cheap DVI cable on one of my 4 monitors. I know I read this suggestion in the beginning, but my ignorance or audacity prevented me from checking the cables.

This entire process just reminds me of what it means to force people to use strict password requirements. While this will prevent the 1% from unauthorized access of a system, it also hinders the other 99% from accessing something they have a right to. This DCA bs is the same thing. If someone wants to pirate a program, they are going to find a way. All this does is keep the other 99% from accessing services they pay for.

It also makes me wish they still did public flogging. Whoever came up with DCA should be flogged while broadcast on HBO - but then I probably wouldn't have access to watch it. (>ლ)

Space

Post by Space » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:12 pm

I know where you're coming from, I had a similar problem and tried all kinds of software fixes until finally in the end it turned out to be a flaky HDMI port. Everything seemed to work except for DRM content, sometimes.

I wish someone had suggested the cable/port to me before I went through all the install/uninstall of drivers disk image reverting, etc. So whenever I see someone with this problem I always try to mention the cable or port may be the issue so they can avoid all the hair pulling I went through...

Glad you got it working!

Covale

Post by Covale » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Well, almost working. It appears that Playready is not ready to play with Eyefinity. I think the problem I now has less with the cables and more to do with ATI drivers. Any time I have a screen that is larger than normal, such as 2 or 3 monitors combined to a display value of 3840x1200 or 5760x1200 it complains about the resolution being to great for WMC then complains that the video drivers cannot play protected content. It was a constant battle before I gave up and just took over the TV in the living room to watch Game of Thrones.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:12 pm

DavidCT worked on a HexEdit related to resolution being to great for WMC.

Look him up in User Control Panel.

aseries

Post by aseries » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Here is the version of WMC on W10 I HAVE JUST INSTALLED: WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v8 using an HDHOMERUN with a COMCAST Mcard. I run a dedicated WIndows 7 WMC server and a Windows 10 PC for WMC on W10 testing.
Additional Information:

1. Windows 7 WMC server remote access: try using the Freeware Team Viewer. I seem to be able to have full control of the WMC window from any PC. I used it to control my recording schedule on my WMC server in MN while I was in FL for 2 months.

2. SILICONDUST HDHOMERUN DVR: I have been using it off and on for a month or so and it does work but not with the sophistication of WMC. It is actually a Windows 10 App and it is NOT free. I have it now because I signed up for the Kickstarter crowd funding campaign. Go here: ( https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 89&t=19442 ).

3.WMC on W10 Hack: I have been experimenting with WMC on Windows 10 for a few months using a PC I built for that purpose. DO NOT sign up for the RAPID UPDATE CIRCLE. When MS installs a new build it WILL wipe out your "ehome" files just as if it was a W7 to W10 upgrade. I had to download the Windows 10 install image from Microsoft and do a clean install with the license key from the W7 to W10 upgrade. After I properly setup my network and firewall and installed HDHOMERUN drivers the WMC hack installed perfectly, Digital Cable Advisor, PlayReady, channel guide, everything so far. If you intend to do this it may be necessary to avoid all W10 upgrades after the WMC hack is installed.

4. Controlling Windows 10 Updates: Use GWX Control Panel ( http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ )
**A clean Windows 10 installation seems to be the key to success with the WMC on W10 hack. It's possible that any Windows 10 Update could cause problems.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Sat May 28, 2016 8:18 pm

My Experience with installing WMC on Windows 10

When I heard W10 would not support WMC, I initially decided to stay on W7 for as long as possible. But as the Free W10 upgrade is about to end, I decided to Clone my Windows 7 drive anyway and do the Upgrade on it, so I could move to Windows 10 in the future.

Doing some research, I found out about the people on the My Digital Life forum who ported the windows 8.1 Media Center to Windows 10. I first feared it would be too much work and maintenance to try and make it work (especially with the Ceton tuner), but I decided I had nothing to lose in giving it a try on the W10 drive.

It turned out to be extremely easy (for my setup)

I posted my experience with the W10 upgrade (which includes a tip for My Movies users) and the WMC install, in the thread below, and I will update it as I find tweaks to the install.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1232935

I do recommend to clone your windows 7 drive and do the W10 upgrade and MC install on the new drive. This allows you to easily go back to W7 if needed, you can even leave both drives in and setup dual boot so you can choose which OS to start with.