MCE Remote "Green Button" not working Win10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
tzr916

HTPC Specs: Show details

MCE Remote "Green Button" not working Win10

Post by tzr916 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:53 pm

I made the switch to J River. The J River server is on a Win7 machine. In J River there is an option to disable WMC which I have done. On the J River Server machine (Win7), the Green Button works to launch J River.

I have several J River Clients that are all Win10. The SAME Green Button with the SAME remotes do NOTHING at all on the Win10 machines.

Tried showkey.exe to capture Green Button, but nothing comes up.

Any registry tweaks to re-assign Green Button? Or other fix?

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:01 pm

I've heard on the MDL forum that pressing the button twice gets it to work, but that is with WMC running on Win10. So not sure if it will help you or not.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:34 pm

tzr916 wrote:Any registry tweaks to re-assign Green Button? Or other fix?
I have an Ortek VRC-1100 remote control. It works with WMC, but is slightly unusual in that it does not appear as a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver". Instead it appears as a keyboard, and it sends WMC keyboard shortcuts. This remote has a START button (aka the GREEN button), and it does indeed start WMC. So what keystroke is it sending?

For the START button, the Ortek sends WIN_ALT_ENTER. Now it is possible to trap this combination using AutoHotKey, and I have done this in order to get the Ortek START button to start MediaPortal in place of WMC. However, the question is: does a standard WMC RC6 remote control send WIN_ALT_ENTER for the GREEN button? I don't know, but you might want to try the following to see if it works for you.

(1) Download and install AutoHotKey. I use version 1.0.48.05 on 32-bit Vista, but a newer version is available. Does AutoHotKey work on Windows 10? I don't know.

(2) Create the following AutoHotKey script; call it "start_jriver.ahk":

Code: Select all

#!enter::
; Change path in next line to the location where "JRiver.exe" resides.
Run, "C:\Program Files\JRiver\JRiver.exe"
Return
(3) Using "Windows Explorer", navigate to the folder where "start_jriver.ahk" is stored and double-click it. AutoHotKey will start and run the script. A green box containing an "H" will appear in the "System Tray" towards the right-hand end of the Task Bar.

(4) Test the remote by pressing the GREEN button to see if it starts JRiver.

(5) To stop the AutoHotKey script when testing is finished, right-click the green "H" in the "System Tray" and left-click "Exit".

(6) If the script works correctly, copy it to your "Startup" folder. It will then run whenever you reboot your system.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:56 pm

I have a Rosewill MCE that has Green Button. Tried showkey.exe and it does not produce any keyboard combo for the Green Button. I will try auto hot key. Yet, once Jriver is running, pressing Green Button does work as a sort of "home" button. Also, if the JRiver "Server Service" is running in the taskbar, the Green Button will indeed launch the program. But the Server Service does not run on the Cient machines, which is where I really need this to work.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:40 pm

tzr916 wrote:I have a Rosewill MCE that has Green Button. Tried showkey.exe and it does not produce any keyboard combo for the Green Button.
If your Rosewill uses RC6 signalling protocol (i.e. is a true WMC-compatible remote), it is quite possible that the START button transmits something other than a keystroke. If so, I don't think that AutoHotKey will be able to trap it.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:25 pm

I am using a Rosewill RHRC-11002

The Green Button, on the remote included with the package, opens WMC in full screen, in Win10_WMCv12

Press once....wait a second or two....Press again.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:19 am

I chased the exact same problem with my gyration remote for months. My solution ended up being an even ghost general HID plugin. Within the plugin, there were seven separate gyration remotes listed, and each mapped to particular buttons. I had to disable them one at a time and find which one mapped to the green button. You pc likely does not see these key presses