HD Home Run Prime vs Ceton Infinitv Eth6??

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
SpencerC

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD Home Run Prime vs Ceton Infinitv Eth6??

Post by SpencerC » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Hello all,

I've installed the ported version of WMC for Windows 10 and it works great! My current tuner is the Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB and Ceton didn't make drivers for it. I've installed the beta drivers for Windows 8 and their site says that it doesn't work for the InfiniTV 4 USB. The driver actually partially works. It works in the sense that I can watch TV, record, and do all other WMC functions. The problem with the driver is that it just stops working when I am not using WMC. I have to delete it from the device manager and do a scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. Then everything starts working again. This doesn't bode well for recordings that are scheduled when you are not actively using the computer.

So accepting the fact that I need a new tuner, has anyone here used the HD Home Run Prime or Ceton Infinitv Eth 6 on Windows 10 with the ported WMC? Have you had issues with either? Which one should I go with? I just want one that works and I don't have to mess with it. 3 tuners is sufficient for me, but I would prefer 6.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:40 pm

SpencerC wrote:Hello all,

I've installed the ported version of WMC for Windows 10 and it works great! My current tuner is the Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB and Ceton didn't make drivers for it. I've installed the beta drivers for Windows 8 and their site says that it doesn't work for the InfiniTV 4 USB. The driver actually partially works. It works in the sense that I can watch TV, record, and do all other WMC functions. The problem with the driver is that it just stops working when I am not using WMC. I have to delete it from the device manager and do a scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. Then everything starts working again. This doesn't bode well for recordings that are scheduled when you are not actively using the computer.

So accepting the fact that I need a new tuner, has anyone here used the HD Home Run Prime or Ceton Infinitv Eth 6 on Windows 10 with the ported WMC? Have you had issues with either? Which one should I go with? I just want one that works and I don't have to mess with it. 3 tuners is sufficient for me, but I would prefer 6.

I don't remember ever seeing a comparison of the two tuners. However, here is (what I believe) to be the best thread of each tuner.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=89&t=342

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ceton+beta

Eth6 needs a Gig network with a pretty health switch, that has a better than average buffer, because of the math involved. Each HD stream is around 15 mbps for a total of 90 mbps. Double that at the HTPC for 6 streams in and 6 out to the devices for 180. Most consumer grade switches puke when you throw this much video at them. So I think you can see that you need a GIG switch. Weather or not your gig switch is sufficient will be for you to figure out. Also you need a fairly good GIG NIC on the HTPC. Once again your problem.....Just a friendly heads up.

HDHR the network problems are cut in half due to only 3 tuners. Total out of tuner is 45mbps. Total in/out of HTPC is 90 mbps. Point is you can get away with a 100mbps network or consumer grade switch.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:24 pm

I got a lot of use out of my ETH6, but cannot recommend it. Has a few issues - heat, reliability and support. It really needs an external fan to function properly. And it requires monthly reboots due to a memory leak. It will simply reboot itself, but when it does, WMC can no longer connect until WMC itself is restarted. Since you never know when this will occur, you will miss recordings. Ceton seems to have lost interested in the ETH, as they have with their other products. The memory leak has been around for a long time, and there are no signs it will ever be fixed. Another slightly annoying issue is the very slow channel changes. Often takes 10 seconds to tune a channel. Long story short, get a couple of Primes.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:14 am

Crash2009 wrote:
SpencerC wrote:Hello all,

I don't remember ever seeing a comparison of the two tuners. However, here is (what I believe) to be the best thread of each tuner.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=89&t=342

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ceton+beta

Eth6 needs a Gig network with a pretty health switch, that has a better than average buffer, because of the math involved. Each HD stream is around 15 mbps for a total of 90 mbps. Double that at the HTPC for 6 streams in and 6 out to the devices for 180. Most consumer grade switches puke when you throw this much video at them. So I think you can see that you need a GIG switch. Weather or not your gig switch is sufficient will be for you to figure out. Also you need a fairly good GIG NIC on the HTPC. Once again your problem.....Just a friendly heads up.

HDHR the network problems are cut in half due to only 3 tuners. Total out of tuner is 45mbps. Total in/out of HTPC is 90 mbps. Point is you can get away with a 100mbps network or consumer grade switch.
Great info, thanks Crash
Last edited by SpencerC on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:15 am

mdavej wrote:I got a lot of use out of my ETH6, but cannot recommend it. Has a few issues - heat, reliability and support. It really needs an external fan to function properly. And it requires monthly reboots due to a memory leak. It will simply reboot itself, but when it does, WMC can no longer connect until WMC itself is restarted. Since you never know when this will occur, you will miss recordings. Ceton seems to have lost interested in the ETH, as they have with their other products. The memory leak has been around for a long time, and there are no signs it will ever be fixed. Another slightly annoying issue is the very slow channel changes. Often takes 10 seconds to tune a channel. Long story short, get a couple of Primes.
Thanks for the feedback. I've already been recommended the prime and with your response that will probably be the direction I go.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:28 pm

mdavej wrote:I got a lot of use out of my ETH6, but cannot recommend it. Has a few issues - heat, reliability and support. It really needs an external fan to function properly. And it requires monthly reboots due to a memory leak. It will simply reboot itself, but when it does, WMC can no longer connect until WMC itself is restarted. Since you never know when this will occur, you will miss recordings. Ceton seems to have lost interested in the ETH, as they have with their other products. The memory leak has been around for a long time, and there are no signs it will ever be fixed. Another slightly annoying issue is the very slow channel changes. Often takes 10 seconds to tune a channel. Long story short, get a couple of Primes.

+1 on all of this. I won't recommend Ceton to anyone.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:31 pm

If we find one broken egg in the dozen we just bought, do we throw the entire dozen in the trash?

I respect Ceton for trying to give us what we asked for.

My Infini4 PCIe has been 100% reliable for 34,944 hours.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:06 pm

My PCIe card was 100% reliable too. But this thread is about the ETH6. If you buy dozens and dozens, every single one will be broken. I'm disappointed that Ceton won't fix the memory leak, which is likely very easy to do.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:39 pm

mdavej wrote:My PCIe card was 100% reliable too. But this thread is about the ETH6. If you buy dozens and dozens, every single one will be broken. I'm disappointed that Ceton won't fix the memory leak, which is likely very easy to do.
I meant to say the ETH6 is the broken egg.

My point was the OP was condemning the whole dozen for one broken egg.....

DarkKaplah

Post by DarkKaplah » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:33 pm

First off I have to disclose I've been using a Ceton Infinitv4 PCI-e unit since it was released. It's been a great card and Ceton support at the time was great. I've not had a reason to call ever since.

While my experience with Ceton has been positive I cannot recommend their products. Take a look at their website blog. For the most part the company seems to have lost steam ever since they found they could not introduce Android to the Echo device in 2013. It feels like the company was really storming ahead right up until Microsoft removed WMC from Windows Embedded which effectively killed Ceton's DVR product the Q.

I would only consider a Ceton product at this point if you make off with a steal of a price. Considering I've seen HDHomerun Prime devices on woot in the $79-ish range I'd have to get a Infinitv 6eth for under that. The HDHomeRun has better support in other mediacenter products such as Media Portal AND they are building their own DVR Product. Going forward it will be more future proof. I've had issue finding an option going forward for my old Infinitv 4. Mediacenter may work for now and may continue to get guide data for a while yet, but the writing is on the wall unless Microsoft releases the code or sells it to another company. If you're just starting off you may as well invest in hardware that will be as future proof as possible. Silicondust is very active in what they are doing. Ceton... seems to have just petered out.

bigjohns97

Post by bigjohns97 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Longtime ceton pcie 4 user here who recently switched over to an hdhomerun and i couldn't be happier, you get so many more options to the channels and they are looking to build a replacement for media center when it finally is put to rest.

No way i would recommend a ceton anymore SD HDHR all the way

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:17 am

+1 on HDhomerun Prime due to DVR development. Android client is decent too. Use win7/8.1 if you plan on using WMC reliably.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:29 pm

smassey22180 wrote:

+1 on all of this. I won't recommend Ceton to anyone.
Interesting...I had a Ceton 4 PCI-e and it was Great, never an issue. Even swapped it between PCs and upgraded my HTPC 2 times with it, Never an issue. I upgraded to a 6 PCIe and had it about a year, had one issue (it appears to be software issue, not hardware), and otherwise, bullet proof. VERY HAPPY WITH BOTH PRODUCTS, I still have my 4 PCEe card, keeping incase I want to go to 10 tuners over 6....(not worth a lot these days)

Heat is an issue on the 6 but, as long as you have good fan in your PC, it's not an issue for most people (dont croud it between other cards in the PCIe version)

As I did cusom HTPC's for a few years, and I used Ceton products all the time, issues were very rare (time to time but, not common), and support had a under 24 hour turn around time.

For all the bashing people do about the proudcts, I am one who is very happy with Ceton products.

On the otherside, I had a HDhomerun for years (still have the dual tuner QAM/OTA tuner), their support is over all really good, Never an issue, rock solid device. When I had my device and the power cord went belly up, I was long out of warranty, they sent me a brand new one for free with no issues.

Over all, you cant go bad anyway you go, there always will be issues time to time but, they are good products and very solid products.
mdavej wrote:My PCIe card was 100% reliable too. But this thread is about the ETH6. If you buy dozens and dozens, every single one will be broken. I'm disappointed that Ceton won't fix the memory leak, which is likely very easy to do.
Ah, never had a ETH6, only PCIe cards.... the ETH6 offers tuner pooling to share on other PC's with WMC (even Windows 10 with the hacked version) Nice feature...

Never knew there was that many issues with them.

I like the PCIe cards because it keeps everything in one box and not other devices hiding behind my entertainment rack.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012