Ceton Echo With Ported WMC in Win10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:23 pm

I suppose the first questions that come to my mind are....

1) 32 or 64 bit?
CPU=
Win7=
Win8.1=

2) Are 7 and 8.1 on the same physical drive? If not which drive contains the bootloader?

I would rather not get into this here. Could we move to the thread you have set up for this?

Gimme a link.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I suppose the first questions that come to my mind are....

1) 32 or 64 bit?
CPU=
Win7=
Win8.1=

2) Are 7 and 8.1 on the same physical drive? If not which drive contains the bootloader?

I would rather not get into this here. Could we move to the thread you have set up for this?

Gimme a link.
1. Both x64 (7 and 8.1)

2. Yes, I just replaced a 120gb SSD (brand new one) and they both have about 52gb partitions.

The boot loader is on the SSD but, I don't use it. So , I set in the system what OS I want to boot into. When I want to go to the other OS, I go back into system, advanced settings and boot, then change it there.

So, when the computer boots it does not ask a OS...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:19 am

DavidinCT wrote: 1. Both x64 (7 and 8.1)

2. Yes, I just replaced a 120gb SSD (brand new one) and they both have about 52gb partitions.

The boot loader is on the SSD but, I don't use it. So , I set in the system what OS I want to boot into. When I want to go to the other OS, I go back into system, advanced settings and boot, then change it there.

So, when the computer boots it does not ask a OS...
I can understand that, but what I was getting at is.....when you change from W7 to W8.1 in system/advanced settings, Are your two operating systems booting from a w7 or a w8.1 boot partition? In other words... Who was installed first W7 or W8.1 ?

Do other people that have this volume control problem also dual boot anything? I seem to remember reading (and experiencing) that 8.1 likes to be the boss. Homegroup for one, needs to be installed in 8.1 first then the 7's can join. And two, the MasterBrowser's of 7 and 8.1 will fight to the death (usually they both die).

Just suggesting something like the above might be happening in yours, causing the volume thing to annoy you. But I think I remember you saying you had the volume problem before 8.1 was introduced.

Here is a thought, throw in another SSD and boot 10 only. Disconnect the Sata Cable of 7 and 8.1
Try fresh10 and see if you get the same volume problem.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:59 pm

8.1 does not have the problem. 10 does not have the problem (think I have said this a few times). I use BCDEDIT (backed it up and restore if I reinstall a OS from scratch), I have wiped out 7 and 8.1 with no issues. It just works with out a problem and I can just forget about a OS and you would never know it was there. Right now 8.1 is my stable one, 7 is just a basic 7 sp1 with only drivers and some select updates installed.

8 and 10 break some older WMC programs, causes problems with my OLD LPT VFD display. Would prefer to stick with 7 due to these facts. WMC 7 is faster and can be really tweaked better than 8.1.

Extenders (360s)do not work on 10, so 10 is not an option at this point.

and the thread about the volume issue is here...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 659#p97542
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:05 pm

DavidinCT wrote:8.1 does not have the problem. 10 does not have the problem
Graznok The Great, has a nice little gift for you today.

The Crystal Ball tells me there is a HEX Lesson in your future.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Crash2009 wrote:

I went in there and called him a god....In my little world right now, there is no other way to put it (been spending the last 2 weekends on trying to find this combo). I'll build my 7 partition as normal.

Now how do I hex ? OMG ! THis could be epic !

and then I will apply the Patch for RDP and WIndows 7 WMC will be everything I ever needed...as WMC goes...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:58 am

DavidinCT wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:

I went in there and called him a god....In my little world right now, there is no other way to put it (been spending the last 2 weekends on trying to find this combo). I'll build my 7 partition as normal.

Now how do I hex ? OMG ! THis could be epic !

and then I will apply the Patch for RDP and WIndows 7 WMC will be everything I ever needed...as WMC goes...
Fake it till you make it. What he means with the arrows is Change this to that.

As you can see its pretty easy to Hex, as long as you know what to edit.

I need a copy of ehshell from win8

Do you have a copy of ehshell.dll 6.1.7601.19061
Attachments
HexEdit003.jpg
HexEdit002.jpg
HexEdit001.jpg

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:09 am

Crash2009 wrote:
Do you have a copy of ehshell.dll 6.1.7601.19061
Yes... The copy that T-S download has one...

I hexed it... and it works :) No more Volume popups !!! YEA !!!

I might have to trash my 8.1 install now, I don't see a need for it (Unless there is a way to use 8.1 apps with a remote as WMC plugins)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:04 am

RDP from Win10 to Win7 non-DRM is working, DRM-channels need an adjustment.
Attachments
RDP_PatchProject034.jpeg
RDP_PatchProject033.jpeg
RDP_PatchProject032.jpeg

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Crash2009 wrote:RDP from Win10 to Win7 non-DRM is working, DRM-channels need an adjustment.
I got the same error on NON-DRM channels when playing back. Even local channels that are NOT DRMed. Recorded shows were an issue.

Funny thing, After installing this patch, I cant connect an extender (360) anyone else having this issue ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:11 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:RDP from Win10 to Win7 non-DRM is working, DRM-channels need an adjustment.
I got the same error on NON-DRM channels when playing back. Even local channels that are NOT DRMed. Recorded shows were an issue.

Funny thing, After installing this patch, I cant connect an extender (360) anyone else having this issue ?
Is your working or not? Which error are you talking about Subscription or Display?

I really wouldn't expect an RDP Patch to magically make an extender work. There is a whole bunch more before that'll happen. Have you noticed that the remote works a little bit in RDP.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:07 am

Crash2009 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

Is your working or not? Which error are you talking about Subscription or Display?

I really wouldn't expect an RDP Patch to magically make an extender work. There is a whole bunch more before that'll happen. Have you noticed that the remote works a little bit in RDP.
This was the RDP patch under Windows 7 Sp1, The 360 Extender is no longer working (will setup but, no connection, and firewall is disabled)

I get the Display error on ALL live TV. Recorded TV plays back fine though. I battled with my 360 extender, Had no issues before...I have rebuilt a CLEAN Windows 7 SP1 with only drivers , then imaged it, been trying things over and over, every time restoring it so I have a clean test to work with, One time, I did setup the extender and it had no issues connecting after this patch, it does not connect.

I will test again tonight, My goal is to uninstall the last update and reboot, then reinstall, that should restore the original files, connect the extender, if no problems, then I will re-apply the patch.

Wish we could get WMC over RDP to work full screen, it would get better performance in RDC. As performance on video is so, so even over gigabit network.. Wi-Fi or 4G is a dream at this point.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:39 am

I don't even know what I did to make Live TV work, and I got close to Live DRM.... Subscription Required, rather than No Video in RDP, or Display Driver error. I started out installing it manually, then noticed the 1-click-install. So it was sort of one mess on top of another, then beat it up till it worked.

I do remember installing that KB that you gave me, and uninstalling it once I got the ehshell. and then I ran the 1-click, disabled some services and processes, a bunch of boots between everything. I installed LAV, Uninstalled the KB, patched ehshell and the other one myself. removed TS's from the BIN and put in my own. Ran 1-click in the TestRights window, Ran 1-click with a right-click as admin. Then I thought I would add in some LAV64. and just for an added "Wild shot" I setup WMC on the host through the RDP Session.....The logic was "RDP has opened some doors for you, spread your wings and FLY!" Well, the "Old Girl Tried" but she fell flat on her face.

Eventually I got to Display Driver error.....I knew what to do with that Maximize then Minimize BLIND.

As you can see, it was a messy install, but it played Live TV and almost did Live DRM.

The monitors on the 2 test machines don't help matters My Win10 (laptop) test machine is 1368 X 768 and the win7 box has a dual head Quadro with two antique monitors connected one is 1280 X 1024 (recommended) and the other is 1024 X 768 (recommended), the only common setting they have is 1024 X 768. So, to level the "playing field" I am going to have to shuffle some hardware around without messing with my HTPC and the HDMI Matrix. And I am not breaking that up for ANYTHING.

Might have to go shopping and find a couple 1080's

Eventually I will come up with a set of 1,2,3 instructions, but at this point my notes are an unorganized mess.

By the way, I already did 4G RDP.

I do get audio in Full Screen.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Your using WIndows 7 for your testing on the patch, or Windows 10 ?

If your using 7 and have an extender, is it working after this RDP patch ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:33 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Your using WIndows 7 for your testing on the patch, or Windows 10 ?

If your using 7 and have an extender, is it working after this RDP patch ?
I have 2 test machines, Win10 WMCv12, and Win7. Both have the applicable patches to enable RDP.

I completed the Win10 RDP Project a week ago and it is working as well as can be expected. I have been waiting for someone else to confirm they get the same thing as me, before I pick that one up again. Post 57 ^^^^^

I started the Win7 RDP Project recently (within the last couple days) same time as you.

There is no extender installed on my Test Win7, and there wont be, until I get this RDP thing installed properly. Why confuse the issue by throwing an extender into the mix?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:46 pm

Crash2009 wrote:There is no extender installed on my Test Win7, and there wont be, until I get this RDP thing installed properly. Why confuse the issue by throwing an extender into the mix?
The topic on this subject is about Extenders :) I am trying to LOCK down my 7 HTPC and trash 8.1....

After the RDP patch, I dont even think the Ceton Echo will work. It sets up but, fails on connection, with 360's

Man, so freaking close on 7, Volume menu disabled and new edits for "high res" errors disabled but, dam exenders....Cant win can I ? :(

Didn't mean to turn your Ceton Echo project into a discussion on my Windows 7 HTPC, sorry about that.

Here is food for though on that, As Ceton Echos are BASED on RDP, I wonder if there is a way to pull parts of 7's RDP and drop it into 10 (by hexing) that MIGHT get the Echo working on 10....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:16 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:There is no extender installed on my Test Win7, and there wont be, until I get this RDP thing installed properly. Why confuse the issue by throwing an extender into the mix?
The topic on this subject is about Extenders :) I am trying to LOCK down my 7 HTPC and trash 8.1....

After the RDP patch, I dont even think the Ceton Echo will work. It sets up but, fails on connection, with 360's

Man, so freaking close on 7, Volume menu disabled and new edits for "high res" errors disabled but, dam exenders....Cant win can I ? :(

Didn't mean to turn your Ceton Echo project into a discussion on my Windows 7 HTPC, sorry about that.

Here is food for though on that, As Ceton Echos are BASED on RDP, I wonder if there is a way to pull parts of 7's RDP and drop it into 10 (by hexing) that MIGHT get the Echo working on 10....
I am hoping eventually, some day to be discussing the original title of this Thread "Ceton Echo With Ported WMC in Win 10". I ran into a dead end with that, and during the exploration of the subject, it appeared that RDP was one of the roadblocks. Hence "We are where we are today" I don't mind exploring the Win7 RDP option as it might hold some "keys" to the success of Extenders in Win10.

A few days ago when I invited you to be NEXT, I thought you might have noticed, that I was looking for confirmation of RDP in Win10. But that's OK, I agree that Win7 needs to be explored also. However, I don't see why you need to fiddle with Win7. Win7 is not broken.....Win10 is.

Here is the original invitation..... http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1203580

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

I am hoping eventually, some day to be discussing the original title of this Thread "Ceton Echo With Ported WMC in Win 10". I ran into a dead end with that, and during the exploration of the subject, it appeared that RDP was one of the roadblocks. Hence "We are where we are today" I don't mind exploring the Win7 RDP option as it might hold some "keys" to the success of Extenders in Win10.

A few days ago when I invited you to be NEXT, I thought you might have noticed, that I was looking for confirmation of RDP in Win10. But that's OK, I agree that Win7 needs to be explored also. However, I don't see why you need to fiddle with Win7. Win7 is not broken.....Win10 is.

Here is the original invitation..... http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1203580
It's all one of those catch 22 things before I can test Windows 10 WMC/v12 over RDP. I need Windows 7 up SOLID. I have a PCI-E Ceton tuner(6), that I use Tuner sharing (one hack listed here). Once I enable tuner sharing, I can no longer dual boot with 8.1 (tuner no longer works under 8.1 if I share it under 7), so till 7 is stable, I cant disable 8.1.

So, if you ask, what this has to do with anything ? On my Windows 10 machine, I dont have a cablecard or a tuner installed in (gaming/office machine) and what I use is a shared tuner from the HTPC. So, I need 7 up and running 100% (Extenders and on the HTPC) before I can test RDP under 10. See my problem ?

What I am saying here, RDP patch broke Extenders under 7. So I am at limbo till that is fixed. On the record, the With live TV under 7 RDP, I got the driver display issue on every channel. Recorded TV played back with out an issue. I disconnected one time (while video was playing but, with the driver display) and re-connected, video played till I closed WMC and re-opened it, and ended up with the display issue again.

I did test it and I am, but, the WHOLE project is stuck on the 360 extender issue under 7.... I might rebuild (well dump down my clean image) and try again before patching... Maybe it will work AFTER it's already setup....

Now if the RDP project under 7 works 100% and WMC can run fulll screen (under a different session), I wont need to do tuner sharing...but, this dam extender... sigh It's always something, isn't it ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:46 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Now if the RDP project under 7 works 100% and WMC can run fulll screen (under a different session), I wont need to do tuner sharing...but, this dam extender... sigh It's always something, isn't it ?

I guess its my turn to suggest "You" buy some new hardware. Get yourself a Prime to test your Win10. I bought a 20 dollar laptop and a 60 dollar prime. If one of the experiments blows up, it doesn't effect any of my everyday stuff.

To be honest, I would never even consider using any of my production stuff for experimental purposes.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Now if the RDP project under 7 works 100% and WMC can run fulll screen (under a different session), I wont need to do tuner sharing...but, this dam extender... sigh It's always something, isn't it ?

I guess its my turn to suggest "You" buy some new hardware. Get yourself a Prime to test your Win10. I bought a 20 dollar laptop and a 60 dollar prime. If one of the experiments blows up, it doesn't effect any of my everyday stuff.

To be honest, I would never even consider using any of my production stuff for experimental purposes.
I have extra tuners and computers but, due to Comcast killing off clear QAM, I am not going to pay for another cablecard. So dedicated test box might be an issue. Once I share tuners (W7 stable), I'll build a test box with w10 or W7, I did have Windows 10 v10 running with Ceton shared tuners in the past, it does work.

The nice thing about the shared tuner feature, I can pick how many tuners I wnat to share, and use them across a few PCs as long as I dont run out (norm share one, just dont use more than 1 computer at a time)

I should have time to rebuild to test extenders (I honestly think the RDP patch broke it) tonight, so more news tomorrow or later tonight.

If the RDP mod broke it, I guess I could live with out it (for now) but, the remove of the volume pop up and the "res is too high" messages are CRITCAL for my W7 HTPC...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave