WMC Windows 10 "No TV tuners found" HDHomeRun

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
BGChicago

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Windows 10 "No TV tuners found" HDHomeRun

Post by BGChicago » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Hello folks,
Just upgraded to Win10 and installed the WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0. Then I installed HDHomeRun drivers. The quick view didn't work initially (only audio) so I also installed Windows8 codec pack. Quick view now works, windows media player is also capable of streaming live channels. However, WMC doesn't find TV tuners. So far I've tried turning off firewall completely, and following these steps:
Windows Media Center reports No tuners found when trying to complete TV setup - HDHomeRun PRIMEBack to top

Open HDHomeRun Setup and verify that the tuners are found and that no UPnP error is received.
Open Control Panel, select View network status and tasks, and make sure the network is listed as Home/Private network.
Click on Change advanced sharing settings.
Verify that Turn on network discovery is selected, and click Save Changes if needed.
Open Computer Management (right click on Computer, choose Manage) and click on Services in the left column.
Verify that the SSDP Discovery Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Verify that the HDHomeRun Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Verify that the Windows Media Center Receiver Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Close the Services Management window.
Open Command Prompt as Administrator (Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator).
Run:

c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery
The command must be typed exactly as shown. Anything that is already present in the command prompt window should be ignored. Just type in the above command. This should list the HDHomeRun PRIME tuners.
Reopen Windows Media Center and access the TV setup wizard again.
c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery doesn't list anything. WMC searches for tuners for about a minute and throws the error. My network is good, Cat6, Gigabit all around, 24 port Cisco switch.

I also noticed when uset the HDHomerun setup, it goes to scan for devices and scans forever. However if I cancels the scanning process, it shows the tuners right a way. Have anyone successfully installed Win 10 WMC with HDHomeRun ?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Do you have 2 green lights "on" at the front of the Prime?

If the left light is red you have no network.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:03 am

can you see the tuner when you run (arp -a) (netstat) or (resmon)

http://www.askvg.com/review-windows-10- ... t-console/

BGChicago

Post by BGChicago » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:07 am

Crash2009 wrote:Do you have 2 green lights "on" at the front of the Prime?

If the left light is red you have no network.
Crash2009 wrote:can you see the tuner when you run (arp -a) (netstat) or (resmon)

http://www.askvg.com/review-windows-10- ... t-console/
I should have mentioned it - tuner works fine on 2 more stations. And yes, it is visible in arp of coarse. 100% it's not the network infrastructure, nor the tuner, unless the latest firmware is messed up somehow.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:57 am

Does the tuner work properly with any of your "other workstations" different OS 7, 8,?

BGChicago

Post by BGChicago » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:37 am

Crash2009 wrote:Does the tuner work properly with any of your "other workstations" different OS 7, 8,?
Yes it does, one Win7 and one 8.1. Also another 7 embedded (on which machine I have very deep no guide data issue but that is a different problem).

I have a feeling that something is wrong with this Windows 10 and the MC. All initials steps are very slow - takes me like 5 minutes to go through initial setup. 1 minutes just to enter in "settings>TV".

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:42 am

M$ couldn't make it work, maybe that's why they dumped it.

I still haven't even started yet, but I am leaning toward Emby and Schedules direct with 10.

BGChicago

Post by BGChicago » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Crash2009 wrote:M$ couldn't make it work, maybe that's why they dumped it.

I still haven't even started yet, but I am leaning toward Emby and Schedules direct with 10.
Can any of those solutions record OTA TV with EPG (guide) with meta data (guest names, episode name, etc) ?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:10 pm

BGChicago wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:M$ couldn't make it work, maybe that's why they dumped it.

Can any of those solutions record OTA TV with EPG (guide) with meta data (guest names, episode name, etc) ?
Yes, I believe all of that is no problem. I shelved the project 6 months ago. I am still running it the "old way" (Win7>WMC>WMC_Server>EmbyServer>HTML5 Clients) Not sure what the latest scoop is, but last march a guy named Jose was working on a plug-in named Emby TV. The plug-in was supposed to eliminate the need for Win7>WMC>WMC_Server and enable the ability to import the tuners directly into EmbyServer. Schedules Direct (a Guide Service) was used as an alternative to WMC's Rovi and its predecessor (how quickly we forget). HDHR Prime was the only tuner (at the time) that they had worked with.

I shelved it to work on some other stuff, deal with a few emergency's, and do some travelling. I will be taking it off the shelf again, although I'm not sure when.

https://github.com/jose-pr/HomeRunTV

https://emby.media/about/

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:23 am

There has been some success recently with WMC in 10

Just thought I'd let you know

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 027#p99027

BGChicago

Post by BGChicago » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Problem was resolved with _v10 of media center pack and most importantly a trick to bypass a bug with HDHomeRun software:
Set the computer to sleep then wake it up, and set up live TV. For whatever reason it worked like a charm. Credit goes to mwpeterson from MDL forum.