Possible to port WMC from Win10 Preview builds to Final?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
RyC

Posts: 693
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re: Possible to port WMC from Win10 Preview builds to Final?

#21

Post by RyC » Thu May 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Not sure if this is any help, but Microsoft provides installers for the N versions of Windows 7/8 that don't come with media features preinstalled. The Windows 7 installer installs the media features including WMC it seems, but the Windows 8 installer includes everything but WMC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968211
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2703761

I have no idea if you could get anything out of the installers, but it does seem like Microsoft uncoupled WMC and all the media features from Windows for the N editions with a way to install it later (looks like it was for EU regulatory requirements), so maybe there is a way to shove it back into 10 :P

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#22

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 08, 2015 12:37 am

RyC wrote:Not sure if this is any help, but Microsoft provides installers for the N versions of Windows 7/8 that don't come with media features preinstalled. The Windows 7 installer installs the media features including WMC it seems, but the Windows 8 installer includes everything but WMC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968211
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2703761

I have no idea if you could get anything out of the installers, but it does seem like Microsoft uncoupled WMC and all the media features from Windows for the N editions with a way to install it later (looks like it was for EU regulatory requirements), so maybe there is a way to shove it back into 10 :P
Thanks but, Nah, they wont even install :(

I even used the Expand key to extract the update and manually install it using DISM and of course it failed. The system does not detect it as a WIndows Media Center version and they are hard coded for 7 or 8. That would be the problem, If I could extract it and take all the files and put them in their correct place/register the DLLS, I might be able to get someplace with them.

They are all done by MANIFEST files and each file in it is a number that is converted to the file name on install. It would take while to install and not sure if it would even do anything here :(

Very high chance that it was just a registry setting somewhere and WMC was setup on Windows update.. To be honest with you, I WISH it was that easy...

I've already got about4-5 hours into this and hit a brick wall.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#23

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 08, 2015 12:44 am

ricktendo wrote:CRAP! manifest on Win8/8.1/10 are all compressed or encrypted by default (Aunt Mel tool not working,) but you could get a look at the reg keys in the ehome manifest from Win7

In order for this to succeed (IMO) we need to be able to use Aunt Mel's tool to grab the Feature and make ourselves a CAB to later integrate into the final Win10 without it... Then we can see what needs to be patched in order for it to run without a WMC sku/serial
Do you know how to really use this tool with out me re-writing the wheel ? If you can give me some steps, I will try it on Win 10, maybe we'll get lucky.

I'd try to give it a shot, the MANIFEST files are not encrypted or compressed, I was able to open them in notepad fine, I did read there was some changes in format in 8, so this could be why the software might not be updated for Windows 8+
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#24

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 08, 2015 1:52 pm

At this point, I honestly think I have enough installed to get WMC interface running, I might have some software based issues (that would need to be addressed one by one). The problem is the security issue, I cant run it. This error message..

Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information contact your system administrator.

I think this is due to the key and kernel licensing issue. I am not sure how to by pass this. I have google'd /Bingged up to the hill, as this error has been seen before in Vista, 7 and 8, I have applied every fix, every permission setting and I still cant get it to run.

I cant move on to the next step till I can find a hack or by pass for this error, any idea or this project will have to go on hold till I find a work-around.

As my logic here goes, copying the data from a working machine would only go so far and COULD work( I see results), hacking the manifest to install, although SHOULD work, it will change the system and would force back to 8.1 with WMC, then kick off activation again (right now on my WMC w10 test box, my valid 8.1/WMC key does not work at all).

SO with knowing this, does anyone have another method or work-a-round to try to get WMC into Windows 10 ?

I've spent a lot of hours into this so far, with almost no results at this point.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

User avatar
STC

Posts: 6808
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:58 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#25

Post by STC » Fri May 08, 2015 4:20 pm

It should be considered that if it can be done those wanting to use W10 as a regular OS as well as a WMC HTPC would always have to be in their guard with patch Thursday. You'd be constantly battling updates and patches that break (read: fix) things.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

ricktendo

Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#26

Post by ricktendo » Fri May 08, 2015 5:17 pm

DavidinCT wrote:At this point, I honestly think I have enough installed to get WMC interface running, I might have some software based issues (that would need to be addressed one by one). The problem is the security issue, I cant run it. This error message..

Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information contact your system administrator.

I think this is due to the key and kernel licensing issue. I am not sure how to by pass this. I have google'd /Bingged up to the hill, as this error has been seen before in Vista, 7 and 8, I have applied every fix, every permission setting and I still cant get it to run.

I cant move on to the next step till I can find a hack or by pass for this error, any idea or this project will have to go on hold till I find a work-around.

As my logic here goes, copying the data from a working machine would only go so far and COULD work( I see results), hacking the manifest to install, although SHOULD work, it will change the system and would force back to 8.1 with WMC, then kick off activation again (right now on my WMC w10 test box, my valid 8.1/WMC key does not work at all).

SO with knowing this, does anyone have another method or work-a-round to try to get WMC into Windows 10 ?

I've spent a lot of hours into this so far, with almost no results at this point.
If I recall correctly Rafael Rivera had instructions on how to decompile ehshell.exe from XP MCE and patch it to run on regular systems, I will send it via PM to you see if it helps any

ricktendo

Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#27

Post by ricktendo » Fri May 08, 2015 6:46 pm


User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#28

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 08, 2015 8:02 pm

ricktendo wrote:Found the page it was gotten from

http://www.aldatillian.be/www/VARIOUS/R ... Guide.html
Yea but, that was for XP MCE, Windows 7+ MCE was re-written from the ground up... that would even apply here. If you had one for WMC 7, yea it would be worth a try. As a WMC MVP and certified in WMC, trust me, there is nothing left in WMC 7+ as for code from 2005

I'm almost at the point of trashing this project, as I have hit a brick wall and I think I am hitting a kernel based issue.

After looking over the version of MCE in Windows 10, it IS the Windows 8 version with no changes at all. With this being said, I was interested to see if this was possible but, no one else seems to be interested in really attempting this and with the possible problems that could happen *IF* we could get it running in RTM, updates and other things will break it.

Then we have issues with Playready and other Keys that make WMC run and we might not even be able to use cablecards with it.

I really am leaning towards forgetting this project.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

ricktendo

Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#29

Post by ricktendo » Fri May 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Maybe somebody over on MDL can help

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... s-10-final

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#30

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 08, 2015 11:42 pm

ricktendo wrote:Maybe somebody over on MDL can help

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... s-10-final
Ok, I registered over there (thought I had an account), I saw your name with a 64 at the end of it, I assume that is you (Yea, I get it, Nintendo 64, I am a gamer as well).

At this point like I said, I hit a brick wall (this security issue) and everything I have tried has stuck me to this point. If I could by pass this security issue, I could move on to the next step but, no go so far. If some door does open, I will re-look at it. I will watch that thread. I'm an IT person and like to tinker (it's how I pick up new things), so it's got me very interested in what it takes to run it, so I am NOT out at this point.

From what I have seen in the last few days playing with it, looking over registry keys, seeing file by file what is in use, There is a LOT to WMC, not just a simple app that runs on Windows. It is extremely complex once you look under the hood of it. Trust me, I have learned a LOT.

I honestly feel there is not much to gain from it at this point accept getting to run Windows 10 under WMC, and if you use a HTPC as a dedicated machine (like I do), you wont even see Win 10 anyway. It IS the same version as 8 as far as I know.

If someone was to find a way to rip 7 or 8's WMC and put it in Windows 10, cool, not sure I would run it on my dedicated HTPC but, might on my Office machine/tablet, all depends if it kicks off Activation (still a HUGE issue for me in this project). If we were able to rip the one from Windows 10 (incase there is minor changes that I have not seen or noticed), it really would be worth a test on my dedicated machine.

Hope there is a progress...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#31

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 11, 2015 1:26 am

No progress anywhere, oh, well I guess this project is dead..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Sharks

Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:35 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#32

Post by Sharks » Mon May 11, 2015 3:30 am

: ( O well, it was worth a shot. If I get some free time I might try it with the full version of W10.

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#33

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Sharks wrote:: ( O well, it was worth a shot. If I get some free time I might try it with the full version of W10.
If you read through the progress, I noted what I tried, do you have any other ideas to try here ?

Still stuck at a security error, done everything I can to figure it out but, no luck at all. SO the copy method is a failure.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

richard1980

Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:15 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#34

Post by richard1980 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Try harder! If you don't come up with a solution by RTM, some of the users here will not be able to fulfill their "shiny" obsession, and as a result, the world will fall into an apocalyptic state.

mdavej

Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:52 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#35

Post by mdavej » Mon May 11, 2015 6:35 pm

Seriously though, I appreciate the effort so far and hope you can pull it off eventually. But I have yet to hear any good reasons why anyone would "upgrade" a perfectly good WMC system to Win 10. What feature of Win 10 is so compelling that it's worth losing WMC itself? From what I've seen, you sort of get the start menu back, which we've already had since the beginning with 3rd party apps, and it looks a little different. What other features trump WMC? Is it really just the "shiny" obsession as Richard says, or is there actually some logical reason that Win 10 and only Win 10 will satisfy your needs.

Ed 

Posts: 769
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 3:14 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#36

Post by Ed  » Mon May 11, 2015 6:38 pm

For those who game (and there are those who game with Steam Big Picture on their HTPC) DX12 is a substantial reason to upgrade.

User avatar
STC

Posts: 6808
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:58 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#37

Post by STC » Mon May 11, 2015 9:54 pm

For those who simply want to use their PC with the latest OS that also have it record a few shows, makes good sense too.

For the majority who just use a HTPC for DVR duty with (third party) extenders, Windows 7 works fine.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#38

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 11, 2015 10:13 pm

mdavej wrote:Seriously though, I appreciate the effort so far and hope you can pull it off eventually. But I have yet to hear any good reasons why anyone would "upgrade" a perfectly good WMC system to Win 10. What feature of Win 10 is so compelling that it's worth losing WMC itself? From what I've seen, you sort of get the start menu back, which we've already had since the beginning with 3rd party apps, and it looks a little different. What other features trump WMC? Is it really just the "shiny" obsession as Richard says, or is there actually some logical reason that Win 10 and only Win 10 will satisfy your needs.
Thanks but, for a reason for me, I use WMC on my gaming computer with shared tuners. I NEED to go to Windows 10 because DirectX 12 will not be supported on Windows 7 or 8.1... and very important to gaming.

So, with a shared tuner, I can watch live tv and shared recordings, I can watch all my recorded shows too...

How's that for a reason ? :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#39

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 11, 2015 11:22 pm

richard1980 wrote:Try harder! If you don't come up with a solution by RTM, some of the users here will not be able to fulfill their "shiny" obsession, and as a result, the world will fall into an apocalyptic state.
Look through this thread as a log, I will try harder, just give me some ideas to try...

Anyone ?

I setup VMs just for this, so, I can try anything on them and if they fail and wont boot anymore, 35 min I have a fresh new VM to try...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

dkrom

Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#40

Post by dkrom » Mon May 11, 2015 11:48 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
mdavej wrote:Seriously though, I appreciate the effort so far and hope you can pull it off eventually. But I have yet to hear any good reasons why anyone would "upgrade" a perfectly good WMC system to Win 10. What feature of Win 10 is so compelling that it's worth losing WMC itself? From what I've seen, you sort of get the start menu back, which we've already had since the beginning with 3rd party apps, and it looks a little different. What other features trump WMC? Is it really just the "shiny" obsession as Richard says, or is there actually some logical reason that Win 10 and only Win 10 will satisfy your needs.
Thanks but, for a reason for me, I use WMC on my gaming computer with shared tuners. I NEED to go to Windows 10 because DirectX 12 will not be supported on Windows 7 or 8.1... and very important to gaming.

So, with a shared tuner, I can watch live tv and shared recordings, I can watch all my recorded shows too...

How's that for a reason ? :)
What about running Win 7 or 8 in a VM for Media Center while running Win 10 as the main system? I was able to get MCE2005 running on a VM and it even connected to a tuner where I could watch recorded TV. Live TV wouldn't work since my tuner was too old for the machine I was testing it on.

Post Reply