Possible to port WMC from Win10 Preview builds to Final?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
ajhieb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ajhieb » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:36 am

According the folks over on MDL, If you're trying it on a new install of Win10 that isn't activated, the CC activation won;t work either. You need to activate Win10 first.

If Win10 is activated, it's anybody's guess what else could be causing the problem (but it likely isn't the built in CC Key) From what I've read over there people are succesfully activating their CC install with the latest version of the packaged installer. (copy-once material still isn't ironed out yet)

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:01 pm

The newer installers (v4 and up), are fine not needing the cablecard key **IF** you are activated (you used to be able to run WMC as an Admistrator before setting up live tv). There is a v5 up ad listing.

Still issues.
1. DRM cablecard, no go, Causes havoc right now. If your using a cablecard with Non-DRM channels, it works fine.
2. Extenders are not working, I personally have not tested them but, others are saying this.

If your getting the "Display error" message when you try to play back ANY live TV in a WIndow, Install the Windows DVD player, it installs the codecs and seems to address this issue. You can install it free from here.

Follow the directions here..
https://matthill.eu/tutorials/install-w ... layer-free

Still a work-in-progress, If you are working, and have LiveTV/Guide working, I would stick with what you have. Don't upgrade till there is a major milestone. I have been uninstalling, cleaning up the old install and reinstalling to find, as it might be a smoother install, it does not solve any major issues at this point. Some days I have been doing this 2x a day.

My big thing is DRM cablecard channels playing back, This is one that is tied into Microsoft's DRM subsystem and WMP, I am not sure if this will work or they will ever get it working. If someone can figure a way to by pass this, it would of been done years ago, so people could play content on other tvs(or using commercial skip on recorded shows). I am not holding my breath on this one sad to say.

Unless someone does know how to get the DRM subsystem moved to a different machine.... ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:09 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Unless someone does know how to get the DRM subsystem moved to a different machine.... ?
If that were possible, you would be defeating DRM as you could play copy once on any machine.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:30 pm

STC wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Unless someone does know how to get the DRM subsystem moved to a different machine.... ?
If that were possible, you would be defeating DRM as you could play copy once on any machine.
Exactly, this is why I don't have a lot of hope that we'll get DRM channels working on cablecards with WMC on WIndows 10....

I guess in theory, if they are able to rip all the components needed for DRM cablecards from a Windows 8.1 WIM and install it on Windows 10 including all registry files. It might be possible, MIGHT.

The only problem is, the people who are the experts on this, who are heading up this project and creating the builds, are NOT from the US, so they don't have this problem. Nor can the test on their local machine. That puts in a major complexity on this.

Is there place that explains the DRM subsystem for cablecards ? Something that just shows how it works, I know MS publishes stuff like this time to time and this might help to provide them this type of info ??? Maybe for Windows embedded(it should give the idea on what is needed to be installed to use cablecards) ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Interesting find today.... As for DRM protected cablecard channels. So, I removed all codecs, so I was getting a Display error that drivers were not installed in WMC (running WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v5) when trying to play live TV. Something MOST of us have been dealing with.

and I ran a sfc /scannow

After it saying it fixed some files and a reboot. My 1 protected channel is playing back WITHOUT getting a protected content error, the ONLY problem is that It's claiming weak signal and it will play then break up... or go to No signal. It's hardly watchable but, it's a step in the right direction....One time opening it, it said it needed a PlayReady update (that failed) but, by closing WMC and opening it, it played back.

It appears this might of addressed the DRM issue but, there is something else going on why it's losing signal on these channels, the system is a fairly new i7 5820 with 16gb DDR4 OC memory running on a 500gb SSD and the video is a gtx970 OC. It's not system performance. No problems like this on ANY other channel.

This even happened when I installed the Windows 10 DVD player....SO, if you have that only installed, it might be fine with it..

I hope this is a step in the right direction, wondering if this works for anyone else....(again, I was just watching it, and after 1 min it started breaking up and went to no signal, so not really usable)

Funny thing, is I have heard of this issue before on WMC 7 machines, just forget what the fix is on it....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

JediDwight

Post by JediDwight » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:09 pm

As far as WMC DRM details, I had this post from Richard1980 bookmarked. It's a good overview. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... c62#p86838
I think there may be another post somewhere on TGB with a little more detail.

Magrat

Post by Magrat » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 pm

You guys might want to take a look at: forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:06 am

Magrat wrote:You guys might want to take a look at: forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives
Thanks for the heads up, most of us are well aware of the progress being made on this front. I know at least few of us have been watching/participating in this conversation since the start. : )

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks for this! Without reading all 150ish pages of that thread, what is the current status of them getting it working?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:19 pm

cybrsage wrote:Thanks for this! Without reading all 150ish pages of that thread, what is the current status of them getting it working?
All, you have to read is the last 10 pages or so of that thread to know what is going on. It's working, Guide works but, some people need some tweaking (host file edits), Live TV plays back but, might need codecs (one thing that they have not gotten right yet), Protected DRM channels from cablecard because of a 3rd party codec don't play back and Extenders do not work as of now. SOME 3rd party apps work, others are questionable. The version of WMC being used in Windows 10, is pulled from 8.1

So, if your not using a cablecard, or you are with No protected channels/content, it works good.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:41 pm

David if you want to produce a status topic I will make it a locked announcement that we can edit with updates when required.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 pm

STC wrote:David if you want to produce a status topic I will make it a locked announcement that we can edit with updates when required.
Oh, OK, If I get time tonight, I will create a thread with details, directions and current status with links to the threads over at MDL (as those posts are updated with the newest versions when they appear). It works good but, even guide can be a little funky to get working, so I can provide some tips to help out.

I think this would be the best bet, as people coming here for the first time looking for WMC 10 and wanting to install it, this could save them trying to look over 20 threads to find the newest detail and have all the basics in one spot...

Sound good ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Yes. Create a new topic or a post on this topic when you can and I will sort it.

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:59 pm

@DavidinCT & STC a Status Topic would be great. I have just come across these topics and wasn't sure where to start.

tricolis

Post by tricolis » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:13 pm

Has anyone got the EPG working. I tired it on windows 10 and it could not find the cable. and it was giving me a download error. I have cox cable and it was saying error that it has anyone else gotten this one before. and how to fix the guide

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:10 pm

tricolis wrote:Has anyone got the EPG working. I tired it on windows 10 and it could not find the cable. and it was giving me a download error. I have cox cable and it was saying error that it has anyone else gotten this one before. and how to fix the guide
EPG works fine, do a search for other guide...you must be running v6 or higher....(guide didn't work on v5 or earlier)

Give me another day or so been really busy and just need about an hour to get the links together and write everything out..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

tricolis

Post by tricolis » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:36 am

This is what i get. i am sending a pic
Attachments
111843d1441674479t-guide-issue.jpg

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:06 am

tricolis wrote:This is what i get. i am sending a pic
Did you edit the hosts file per the instructions included with the software download?

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:42 pm

tricolis wrote:This is what i get. i am sending a pic
backup to the EULA
window MC
remove host edits if you added them
open an elevated CMD and tpye "ipconfig /flushdns"
then next through septup again
may need to repeat a couple times, as it sometimes gets a corrupt xml and bombs out.

worked for me on a couple machines that kept erroring out

tricolis

Post by tricolis » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Yes i did. I did everything it told me to do it in. And thats what kept coming up. I did all these steps

If you have Guide data download problems (specially US residents):

1.Open notepad (right click> run as administrator)

2.Open host file ( File>open> c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

3.Add this to the end of the file-
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

and place one of the below ip addresses depending on your location in the US
west coast or east coast
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
central or southern us
65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com

ex. If you lived on the east coast you would add this to the bottom of the file:
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

4.Save the file (file>save)

5.Open CMD command prompt (file>search for cmd>right click>run as administrator)

6.Type: ipconfig /flushdns
If you type it correctly it should say: "successfully flushed the dns resolver cache."

7.Close Windows Media Center if it is open

8.Start>type "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome"

9.Delete file "mcepg2-0" and folder "mcepg2-0" this will force you to set up live tv from scratch in WMC (or delete anything named m***.db and the corresponding folder)

10.Open windows media center and go through the Live TV setup and you should now be able to download guide data

so now i am lost with it.