Possible to port WMC from Win10 Preview builds to Final?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
bheav

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bheav » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:33 pm

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 pm

bheav wrote:Hello, would this help?

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... nal/page12
Thanks,

He has it showing but, he is using a virtual machine to use it. Something that could cause other issues and performance issues with HD video (choppy videos, mouths not matching up with the audio, etc). You would need a really high end system to take advantage of that. Might be an option for one my machines *IF* we don't find a workaround but, this is not ideal in any means.

What we need is for WMC to run NATIVE on Windows 10 and it would offer the best performance. WIndows 10 has Hyper-V built in, if it can be scripted out right, it could work but, again for the higher end PC specs, again it would not be ideal.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

GnatGoSplat

Post by GnatGoSplat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Someone who can read assembly could probably attempt to patch out the kernel checks.

Yeah, I dumped the 10130 packages into the same folder on 10147, even tried renaming the files replacing 10130 with 10147, but couldn't figure out how it knows what files to include. Dism log doesn't show it even seeing them. It may be getting the list of package files from a .cat file, which are probably signed and resistant to modification.

I'm curious what would happen if build 10130 with WMC is updated. Using an ISO to update it obviously wouldn't work as that refreshes all files and would remove WMC, but I wonder what would happen to an update via Windows Update. Even though 10130 with WMC is seen as "Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center", it still receives Windows 10 updates correctly via Windows Updates. I guess we will find out when a new build without WMC gets released to the Fast Ring.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:24 pm

If I get some time tonight, I will try it again, It's failed many attempts to install. I was kind of holding tight, as I am captured all the files from each build with WMC files in it. As there will be changes in each build that could block this, I am waiting to see when the RTM hits and see if it can be imported in...

I am starting to think any work done now might be worthless till RTM hits (26 days from now), as there will be a lot of changes in it...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

tricolis

Post by tricolis » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Has anyone found a way to bring windows media center over to windows 10 yet? I would like to upgrade to win10 but if i cant take it i wont do it. I uses it for everything.

Thanks

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Since Microsoft isn't going to support WMC - and part of their push for Windows 10 is to get users to update their Windows more frequently (I believe "Home" users may not even be able to control Windows Updates), even if someone can get WMC to install on Windows 10 once, there's no guarantee that will continue to work with future Windows 10 updates.

Realistically, if WMC is important, then keep one system running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 - and use that for WMC. While I have WMC installed on multiple computers, one of the PCs is the main Home Theater PC and the others typically only run WMC to get the same UI and playback the non-DRM protected recorded programs. Assuming .wtv files can be played on Windows 10, then at some point I'll likely update all but my HTPC with the "free" Windows 10 upgrade (within the first year) - and hope that SD's DVR project can come up with a suitable WMC replacement.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:24 pm

tricolis wrote:Has anyone found a way to bring windows media center over to windows 10 yet? I would like to upgrade to win10 but if i cant take it i wont do it. I uses it for everything.

Thanks
Not yet, we are kind of in a holding pattern until RTM. Then it will be game on!

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:28 pm

The supposed RTM build is out, build 10240. It has a cute build number so it must be it!

tricolis

Post by tricolis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:20 am

well right now u can get a leaked copy of windows 10 build 10130 that i got off a torrent site. I just dont know how to make it activate. it says windows 8.1 pro with media center but it has the windows 10 stuff in it. that is why i was bring it up. Thanks

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:33 am

Any news on this front from people who've had a chance to play with the rolled out version of Windows 10? I'll be hopefully installing it on one of my machines this weekend.

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:57 am

I'm going to continue to follow this project. I use my HTPC for gaming in addition to WMC so I would love to port WMC to Windows 10. I will offer help if and when I can.

I am much better at Linux/Android code...
XDA user: Wetzel402

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:57 pm

tricolis wrote:well right now u can get a leaked copy of windows 10 build 10130 that i got off a torrent site. I just dont know how to make it activate. it says windows 8.1 pro with media center but it has the windows 10 stuff in it. that is why i was bring it up. Thanks
Right, 10130 had the files, 10147 was the first build with out them. So in 10240, there is no eHome/WMC files. I have been checking build by build. As for activation, If you search the net a little, this is not the place to talk about it but, there is a item called Microsoft Toolkit, just bing/google it to find out more.

I went build by build with it and captured the WMC files into cab files, but, I cant install them due to a version mismatch, Looking into it more. If anyone with the skills can help, feel free to post here.

Once we get it installed (if possible, at this point) the eshell.exe will need to be patched (I will need someone for this one), as when WMC runs, it does a check on the kernel to see if it's authorized to run. with Windows 10, it will get a clear no and will not run. I attempted manual move to another VM and I got this clear response (this was back on 100074). You can see more a few pages back.

Still want to get this running and would love if anyone with the skill would like to help
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:51 am

Just a thought - I've been seeing Vista users install TV pack 2008 to fix the Rovi guide issue and I've read that the update basically changes it to a Win7 version of WMC.

Has anyone tried to install the TV pack in Win10? More than likely it won't work, but it might give some insight to the install process and you never know...

A thread on the TV pack is here http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 810#p61810

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:50 am

dkrom wrote:Just a thought - I've been seeing Vista users install TV pack 2008 to fix the Rovi guide issue and I've read that the update basically changes it to a Win7 version of WMC.

Has anyone tried to install the TV pack in Win10? More than likely it won't work, but it might give some insight to the install process and you never know...

A thread on the TV pack is here http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 810#p61810
That would not work at all, it will give an error that it does not apply to this version., Never mind the TV pack does not install WMC fully, it just updates a lot of files. I still have a copy from my Beta testing days....

but, crap I will attempt everything but, I would say a 99% chance it will fail.

But, man, it would be nice if we could get the Windows 7 version of Windows Media Center installed on Windows 10, that would be cool. (I have a capture of it as well as 10 betas) but, TV pack is the vista version, no I would not want to roll back that far :/
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:20 pm

So, the discussion over at My Digital life is starting to heat up a little, getting more and more devs involved with this, so with someone with the right skills this could happen... Feel free to look over this thread (more towards the end) and if you can help out in any way, it would be welcomed.

I still want to see a WIndows Media Center option in Windows 10.... and this might be the ONLY way so help If you can !!!

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ternatives
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:15 pm

It's looking successful ! This is HUGE NEWS, Nothing on release yet, not everything is working YET and still some bugs but, Someone got Windows Media Center RUNNING on Windows 10....

The interface is working and loading (the biggest issue) right now, it's just playing a video, live TV or scheduling shows does not work at this point but, it's MAJOR progress.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1130070
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:27 pm

In other "cool" news.. there is this option as well. Introducing EMBY TV now fully integrated with EMBY and no plugin required. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/ ... ta-305713/ now if we can just get a DVR option...
newfiend~

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Can they integrate with SD's DVR project?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:19 pm

newfiend wrote:In other "cool" news.. there is this option as well. Introducing EMBY TV now fully integrated with EMBY and no plugin required. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/ ... ta-305713/ now if we can just get a DVR option...
newfiend~
HDR tuners only ? I have Ceton tuners, so I guess it's WMC for me...

If they had a DVR option that worked with cablecards, and a cheap extender option, I might give a dual boot to try it...

With that being said, this thread is about porting WMC to windows 10 :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic here.. I also have Ceton tuners so your not alone there. I'm glad you guys are making headway on porting WMC to Windows 10. Let me know if you're successful!