Official: No WMC in Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri May 01, 2015 4:27 pm

I am stuck with version 7 no matter what since I need it for the echos. So no issue here.

But that web site sure looks convincing to me.

KevinRush

Post by KevinRush » Fri May 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Ed  wrote:
adam1991 wrote:All this in a forum where people say "they announced today they've stopped developing it, therefore I must uninstall it immediately because it's dead and therefore has exactly zero use to me from this moment on".
Some people absolutely feel that way.
Doesn't make sense to me, to feel that way. I'm adding to my whole house WMC (Ceton 4 PCIe) with a Ceton 6 ETH and another Xbox 360 extender in my new home with Cat 6 Ethernet throughout. I'm thinking about adding a HomeRun 2 and a Mohu antenna for OTA too. Someday, I will use something else, but for now, WMC is the best solution for me and I'll support it anyway I can.

Keep a good thought.
Best Wishes

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Fri May 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Overall it's getting hard to argue against the fact that signals are getting stronger for no WMC10. 2 MVPs now stating somewhat emphatically that it's gone. I get that these are not official statements but the way they've both stated it has made it sound like someone at MS thinks it's gone.

AS for the guide data, my operating assumption/hope has been that they'd rather not stop guide data until those 20/23 support dates as they are hoping WMC dies off due to attrition rather than it resulting from them pulling a core functionality from some of their strongest enthusiasts. So far, so good- you see people posting their goodbyes here from time to time.

REally, though, I'd be pretty ecstatic if I got another 8 years of guide data. I'd like to think I'll have something else in place by then anyway.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri May 01, 2015 6:17 pm

KevinRush wrote:Doesn't make sense to me, to feel that way.
It's almost like different people have different thoughts/feelings. Crazy :P
Embiggens wrote:Overall it's getting hard to argue against the fact that signals are getting stronger for no WMC10. 2 MVPs now stating somewhat emphatically that it's gone. I get that these are not official statements but the way they've both stated it has made it sound like someone at MS thinks it's gone.
I agree.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 01, 2015 6:30 pm

Shark007 wrote:What I like the best about this thread is that before I posted in it, the thread title was "Its Official: No WMC in Win 10"
At least the title had been editted to be truthful.
Take it with a grain of salt, why ? Here is some facts.

There is problems with it

1. It was written by a MVP (I was a MVP), they have limited information, they DO NOT WORK FOR MICROSOFT NOR know Microsoft's plans.
2. It applies to the Windows Insider Program, NOT THE RTM.

Those reasons ALONE should remove the "Official" tile from this subject. I would bet this is the top 20 questions asked and their response, with the Windows 10 Preview, it's known if you upgrade W7 or W 81. w/WMC, it will uninstall WMC. This is a FAQ, not an official response from Microsoft on this subject.

SO with these facts and that it does not apply to the RTM this is NOT official information about #WindowsMediaCenter in WIndows 10
Last edited by DavidinCT on Fri May 01, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:32 pm

"IT'S OFFICIAL, I HEARD IT ON THE INTERNET:..."

Don't you know? If it's on the internet, it MUST be true.

poit57

Post by poit57 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:42 pm

DavidinCT wrote: 2. It applies to the Windows Insider Program, NOT THE RTM.
This is the biggest thing that stood out to me from that wiki article. It says it applies to the Windows Insider Program/Windows 10 Technical Preview. WMC wasn't officially announced for Windows 8 until late in the preview cycle. There is still time for the official inclusion of WMC in Windows 10. Even if its not officially supported in the technical preview, I would think it would be a positive sign that WMC still exists in recent builds, as evidenced by Shark007's posts.

PlainEric

Post by PlainEric » Fri May 01, 2015 8:58 pm

adam1991 wrote:"IT'S OFFICIAL, I HEARD IT ON THE INTERNET:..."

Don't you know? If it's on the internet, it MUST be true.
That and rule 34 probably applies to this somewhere as well...
+++H0
"You don't become a failure until you're satisfied with being one. "

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sat May 02, 2015 1:07 pm

While we probably all still hold out hope there will be a miracle - and Microsoft announces not only that WMC will be available for Windows 10, but they've actually made some software improvements - if they were going to be doing that, there would likely have been some indication of this by now - since they are planning to release Windows 10 in a few months.

Realistically, the best we might get is the current WMC running on Windows 10, which extends the end-of-life support for the Windows 7-era WMC for another few years.

So whether or not WMC is in Windows 10, the only way we're going to see new capabilities - and fixes to some of the restrictions in the current WMC (such as the inability for me to use WMC on my laptop which has an internal DisplayPort monitor) - is if someone else (such as Silicondust or Ceton) takes on the challenge and provides a replacement for WMC - with full support for protected programs.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Sat May 02, 2015 3:24 pm

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat May 02, 2015 4:49 pm

I was just about to post that. :D

But, I suppose certain people will come in here and (disregarding Bott's history and reputation) say he's lying. :roll:

I swear, when Windows 10 comes out without WMC, some people are gonna be like "Guys Windows 10 is lying, it will be delivered via Windows Update any day now! Or SP1, yeah that's it, it will be in SP1!"

Lol, I probably shouldn't give them any ideas :lol:
Last edited by Ed  on Sat May 02, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sat May 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Well - I just decided to give 10 a try, and do an UPGRADE (i.e. in place vs. a clean) installation of the current preview build. And after doing all sorts of compatibility checking, it came back and said it HAD TO uninstall WMC since it wasn't compatible. I did take a screen shot (but it's on the other PC being upgraded). I'll add that when it's done. So, to me this is a confirmation of what Ed is saying!
ScreenHunter_01 May. 02 10.02.jpg
Last edited by sbaeder on Sat May 02, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat May 02, 2015 5:36 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/2/853614 ... killed-off it's official. Maybe they will backtrack but I would doubt it at this point.

STC

Post by STC » Sat May 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Ed  wrote:I swear, when Windows 10 comes out without WMC, some people are gonna be like "Guys Windows 10 is lying, it will be delivered via Windows Update any day now! Or SP1, yeah that's it, it will be in SP1!"

To be fair, it is not reporting the truth if you state 'official' when the information first came from a MVP's WiKi article. At the time you first posted it was not official.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Sat May 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Guide data can be provided third party.
Windows 7 or 8 is to be supported for at least 5 more years.

It's so long in the tooth, be thankful we've had it running for this long.

My HTPC will always be Windows 7 as I run extenders. It hasn't troubled me in the least.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat May 02, 2015 5:47 pm

STC wrote:
Ed  wrote:I swear, when Windows 10 comes out without WMC, some people are gonna be like "Guys Windows 10 is lying, it will be delivered via Windows Update any day now! Or SP1, yeah that's it, it will be in SP1!"

To be fair, it is not reporting the truth if you state 'official' when the information first came from a MVP's WiKi article. At the time you first posted it was not official.
And like I said, do you believe Microsoft would allow misinformation posted by an MVP to remain up on their own wiki?

Also, I said I would edit the title (and did) out of fairness to that argument. Maybe you can edit it back to it's original form now ;)

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat May 02, 2015 6:38 pm

sigh, Is this truly the end ?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

Well, the hope stands that they said they were going to kill it in Windows 8 and a lot of people complained, they put it in 8 as a free upgrade (for a time), My only thing I can say is get on facebook and twitter and slam Microsoft about this issue. Make them see there is demand for it. If you enjoy WMC and don't say anything about it at this time, your just killing it off...

Every WMC fan needs to say something about this. Sad but, there does not seem like there is a loyal following like there was and this could be the end for it. I guess 7 and 8.1 users can enjoy it for a few more years at least till it's gota be hacked to even get guide data.

If you decide to say something use the hash tag #WindowsMediaCenter

;-(

A 3rd party hacked WMC into Windows 8 when it was not available for it (before MS publicly said something about it, I have a copy of the software), I hope they do it again with Windows 10.... It DOES NOT work on Windows 10, I have tried it on every build of the preview to see if does work.
Last edited by DavidinCT on Sat May 02, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

STC

Post by STC » Sat May 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Ed  wrote:And like I said, do you believe Microsoft would allow misinformation posted by an MVP to remain up on their own wiki?
Yes. TBH they probably wouldn't have spotted it themselves.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat May 02, 2015 6:46 pm

STC wrote:
Ed  wrote:And like I said, do you believe Microsoft would allow misinformation posted by an MVP to remain up on their own wiki?
Yes. TBH they probably wouldn't have spotted it themselves.
Well, 'not being aware of misinformation' is not the same as 'allowing misinformation to remain up'.

But, unless there was a post by a MS employee to confirm 'Microsoft' had seen it (and there isn't, I checked for us) - it would be conjecture on both our parts then to assume Microsoft has or hasn't seen it.

However, with the corroboration now by Ed Bott (which he got from a MS exec), it's a moot argument to make (either way) IMO.

In the end, if you wanna say I took a bet with the post title initially, fine. But it would seem now my that bet paid off and the initial title was correct.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat May 02, 2015 7:25 pm

Engadget has now run a story on it as well: http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/02/wind ... r-is-dead/