Official: No WMC in Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
richard1980

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by richard1980 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:58 pm

mike_ekim wrote:in the past 5 years no more than 200,000 households could have invested in cablecard technology
You went back 6 years, not 5 years. If you go back 5 years, that number is exactly 100,000 (in the June 2010 NCTA report, 520,000 CableCARDs were deployed.)

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:26 am

Starflare5 wrote:Since then, Windows Media Center in Windows 8.1 has undergone a massive improvement and technological upgrade with features added on that will be present in the edition for Windows 10 by default. This update was released during the month of April in the midst of end of life for the technical preview and you must have Windows 8.1 with Media Center in order to get the update.
Uhhh......what?

CoteRotie

Post by CoteRotie » Thu May 14, 2015 3:01 am

3rob3 wrote:
Starflare5 wrote:Since then, Windows Media Center in Windows 8.1 has undergone a massive improvement and technological upgrade with features added on that will be present in the edition for Windows 10 by default. This update was released during the month of April in the midst of end of life for the technical preview and you must have Windows 8.1 with Media Center in order to get the update.
Uhhh......what?
Starflare must be in Colorado where certain substances are legal.....

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu May 14, 2015 11:51 am

Sincethen, Windows Media Center in Windows 8.1 has undergone a massive improvement and technological upgrade with features added on that will be present in the edition for Windows 10 by default.
Right.... Name one improvement, upgrade, or added since late Windows 7 betas. I can think of several removed/broken but absolutely none added since then.
  • Internet TV removed
  • Extender silverlight support removed, so Netflix and other plugins (including some that came with it) could no longer be used on extenders
  • Awesome looking photo screensaver removed
  • Support for extenders other than XBOX broken
  • Number of days of guide data reduced
You seem to have an odd definition of "improvement".
Last edited by glugglug on Thu May 14, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Starflare5 wrote:I am getting so tired of this rumor, because, apparently, Microsoft may change their minds as present in an update:

Here's the issue, this is technically all a rumor and several publications are falling for it. First of all, development of Windows Media Center did not actually stop in 2009 as it was more placed on the back burner temporarily during the development of the main components of Windows 10..... Since then, Windows Media Center in Windows 8.1 has undergone a massive improvement and technological upgrade with features added on that will be present in the edition for Windows 10 by default. This update was released during the month of April in the midst of end of life for the technical preview and you must have Windows 8.1 with Media Center in order to get the update. Sorry Windows 7 users. This update has me believing that Microsoft may change their minds, or appear to, at the last minute.

That's just my 2 cents on the subject, but, what do I know?
Let's all feed the troll.. : )

However if you aren't a troll which I highly doubt could you provide some proof to back up your statement about an improved version of WMC that is going to be available for Windows 10. I would be quite happy to be proven wrong on this matter. : D

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:06 pm

I don't think we have a troll here. Some of his statements are a little miss-informed, as you have pointed out, but, I don't see anything particularly provocative, hostile, or annoying. Give him a chance to respond.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu May 14, 2015 1:29 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I don't think we have a troll here. Some of his statements are a little miss-informed, as you have pointed out, but, I don't see anything particularly provocative, hostile, or annoying. Give him a chance to respond.
Plus, I'm really looking forward to Starflare5's discussions on Sports Strip 2.0, new Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go plugins, integrated search and built-in Chromecast abilities in WMC10. This is an exciting time!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu May 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Nothing negative or inflammatory, just completely wrong. I honestly thought it was a joke at first.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Well I'm not sure how much more definitive you can get: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... ifications
If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
On the bright side, here's a cheery article: http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-built-a-ca ... 1709322190

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:25 am

RyC wrote:Well I'm not sure how much more definitive you can get: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... ifications
If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
On the bright side, here's a cheery article: http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-built-a-ca ... 1709322190
We know Windows 10 wont have Media Center, I am still fighting Microsoft on twitter about it.... Find me on twitter @TheCoolDave

Anyway about it, If you want to keep a machine with Windows Media Center, I would keep one license of Windows 7 (home premium or above) or Windows 8.1 with WMC around. Do not upgrade that to Windows 10 or you will LOSE Windows Media Center. I plan on taking most of my 7/8.1 licences and putting them in VMs so I can get keys for Windows 10...but, I will keep a few keys for WMC...

I still don't think the WMC in Windows 10 story is dead, Why you ask ?

If you remember, Windows 8.1 came out and there was NO WMC, this was never announced it was just released like that. People complained by the boat load, and all of a sudden, Microsoft changes their mind. Now move forward, about the same amount of people are still using Windows Media Center, 99% of these people don't even know about this site, nor follow it anywhere else. They just go on with their day using WMC as they need it and like others have a dedicated device to use as a DVR.

I think when Windows 10 is release on July 29th, the crap will hit the fan. People will be up and arms and after a month or 2, there will be a WMC in the store.

That is if history repeats itself.....(kind of crossing fingers for it)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:43 am

WMC was announced as an add-on for Window 8 months before Windows 8 hit RTM; not after.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Ed  wrote:WMC was announced as an add-on for Window 8 months before Windows 8 hit RTM; not after.
Correct.

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-8-wont ... matically/

Though I doubt that will alter Dave's dedication to his cause.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:36 pm

I don't know enough about operating systems to speak to this, but is it possible that the coding for WMC to go from Windows 7 to 8 wasn't too involved and to get to Windows 10 is too costly for MS justify the effort?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:34 pm

gary94080 wrote:I don't know enough about operating systems to speak to this, but is it possible that the coding for WMC to go from Windows 7 to 8 wasn't too involved and to get to Windows 10 is too costly for MS justify the effort?
Not likely, the change from 8 to 10 wouldn't require anything drastic from a coding standpoint. 8 to 10 isn't a big difference 'under the hood'.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Ed wrote:WMC was announced as an add-on for Window 8 months before Windows 8 hit RTM; not after.
Your right, I do stand corrected here. I still think there will be big storm of people complaining about it after Windows 10 installs on July 29th... A lot of WMC users are closet WMC users and this notification that comes down in Windows 7 and 8, does not show that detail right away, unless you click a link.

LuckyDay wrote:
gary94080 wrote:I don't know enough about operating systems to speak to this, but is it possible that the coding for WMC to go from Windows 7 to 8 wasn't too involved and to get to Windows 10 is too costly for MS justify the effort?
Not likely, the change from 8 to 10 wouldn't require anything drastic from a coding standpoint. 8 to 10 isn't a big difference 'under the hood'.
Agreed, you can modify the Windows 10 iso to get WMC to install and it will run. This alone proves that it will run on Windows 10 but, Microsoft is being the stubborn on this and not providing it to their customers.

Put in the store, change $29.99 and people who want it will buy it, if anything it's a win-win for Microsoft and it will get more people on Windows 10 instead of causing fragmentation of the OS (I know a few of my machines wont be going Windows 10 because of this fact)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:42 pm

so this points more to MS not seeing enough of a future market segment for them to continue with WMC.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:55 pm

gary94080 wrote:so this points more to MS not seeing enough of a future market segment for them to continue with WMC.
That's exactly it. There aren't enough WMC users to justify Microsoft doing anything with it/coming out with a new version-or same version- on Win 10/keep supporting it/caring about WMC users not upgrading to 10/etc. It's only a matter of time until the cost of the guide data isn't worth it either/justifiable to them.

No matter how many people used WMC - and how dedicated to it they were - they were never anything more than an insignificant amount at most in the grand scheme of things.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:48 am

isn't the guide data still used for the Xbox One?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:47 am

No, Xbox gets its guide data from a different source than WMC does.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:56 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Your right, I do stand corrected here. I still think there will be big storm of people complaining about it after Windows 10 installs on July 29th... A lot of WMC users are closet WMC users and this notification that comes down in Windows 7 and 8, does not show that detail right away, unless you click a link.
I obviously haven't tried the in-place upgrade that will be available through Windows Update, but every other in-place upgrade I've performed on a Windows OS has a compatibility check that runs prior to install that will inform you of any incompatibilities and deprecated functionality.

I think you're also vastly overestimating the number of closet WMC users out there. There were some big numbers (still small by install base numbers) thrown around at one point but those were inflated by one-time-use numbers. WMC is a pretty crude media front end compared to all the other alternatives out there. I would venture a guess that most people who are still using WMC on a regular basis are doing so for its DVR capabilities. And I just don't see there being that many people that are savvy enough to setup WMC as a DVR all by themselves, but have completely steered clear of any discussion involving Windows 10 (since pretty much all of it mentions no WMC at some point or the other) and opted in for a brand new OS upgrade without doing any research and blasted through the compatibility guide that is presented during setup without reading any of it.

Will it happen to some people? Probably.
Will it be a significant number of people? I doubt it.