Official: No WMC in Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 4:49 am

glugglug wrote:Windows Media Player is part of the same $10 option on Windows 8 Professional as WMC (It is NOT part of the standard Win8 install, and isn't available for home premium!). I doubt anyone paid the $10, because they wanted Windows Media Player, or better yet upgraded to Pro for it, when you could just download VLC for that functionality. So no, Windows 8(.1) does NOT have a media player built into the OS, unless you paid for the Windows Media Center option.
I think you are mistaken on some things:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... dia-player
Microsoft wrote:Included in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Pro, but doesn't include DVD playback. Go to the DVD playback for Windows page to find out how to add DVD playback to Windows 8.1. For Windows Media Player 12 for Windows 8.1 N and KN editions, get the Media Feature Pack.
:?: :!:

There is no 'Home Premium' for 8/8.1 also; there's only *regular* and Pro. :?

I can get you a snapshot of WMP from a VM with a newly installed Win 8/8.1 regular and/or Pro if you want (my desktop has 8.1 Pro w/WMC).

WMP is very much alive and kicking in 8/8.1(regular and Pro)! :)

ricktendo

Post by ricktendo » Tue May 05, 2015 8:12 am

Maybe somebody could grab the WMC files from the current betas and patch/install them later when Windows 10 final is released (same as they did with the Windows Sidebar for 8)

BTW if this is not the case, what is the next best alternative for me?

I have 2 hybrid AVerMedia TV tuners and use them with WMC to watch Analog and unencrypted digital QAM channels from my cable provider. I would like to watch and schedule to record live TV

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue May 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Coming up on 2 years since any press releases, blog posts, or anything else coming out of Ceton. I certainly wouldn't count on anything coming from them in this space in the future.

EDIT: As if right on cue, Ceton tweeted today:
We at Ceton were very sad to hear of Microsoft's decision to discontinue Media Center in Windows 10. Media Center continues to be ahead of its time with features and innovation still not found in most Set Top Boxes. Rest assured Ceton is continuing to develop new innovative platforms for the delivery of both audio and video into consumers' homes.
Doesn't mean anything really, but it shows they're not completely dead.

dpt17

Post by dpt17 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:49 pm

I've enjoyed my InfiniTV Pcie4 and HD HomeRun Prime with WMC for the last 3.5 years and it's disappointing to read this news. The loss of WMC is a death threat to the likes of Ceton + Silicondust and we can only hope that the WMC guide data is updated long enough until they come up with their own solutions.

I only had 3 reasons left to use Windows over Linux as my home desktop solution (Ubuntu is already my work desktop):
a) PC Gaming
b) WMC for HTPC
c) Websites who block you if your flash version is too old and those jerks at Adobe that stopped updating the Linux flash player.

Reason b) is now gone. Your move Valve: Is Steambox the future? For now, I will forget any notions of upgrading from Win7 to Win10 and take a wait-and-see approach.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 7:09 pm

kingwr wrote:Coming up on 2 years since any press releases, blog posts, or anything else coming out of Ceton. I certainly wouldn't count on anything coming from them in this space in the future.

EDIT: As if right on cue, Ceton tweeted today:
We at Ceton were very sad to hear of Microsoft's decision to discontinue Media Center in Windows 10. Media Center continues to be ahead of its time with features and innovation still not found in most Set Top Boxes. Rest assured Ceton is continuing to develop new innovative platforms for the delivery of both audio and video into consumers' homes.
Doesn't mean anything really, but it shows they're not completely dead.
Yeah, I agree. I think the general takeaway from that is it was just lip service (at least, IMO). They said some things without saying anything.

Hopefully Hauppage steps up their game now and comes out with something. Even though it's only a 2 ft. app (and admittedly not the greatest; even as just a 2 ft. app) - they have a viewing/recording app for their tuners. They could take that a turn it into something better/great. It's more than Ceton has going ATM.

While I might be in the SD camp, I don't want them to be the only game in town. Companies tend to get lazy and/or greedy when that happens. I don't feel that will happen now, with them working out/developing their plans away from WMC; but, in the future.

noslack

Post by noslack » Tue May 05, 2015 7:32 pm

"The latest version of the Windows 10 Technical Preview includes built-in font support for the middle finger emoji" Now I know what happened to the WMC resources, they used them all up developing a way to flip people off, just like they did to WMC users...

fredclown

Post by fredclown » Tue May 05, 2015 7:47 pm

Anyone want to start a petition to save it?

noslack

Post by noslack » Tue May 05, 2015 7:49 pm

fredclown wrote:Anyone want to start a petition to save it?
I'm in

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue May 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Seems to be a done deal. Microsoft's solution appears to be buy a xbox one and if you want a DVR get one from the cable company. They never learn to listen to their customers, and I'm sure when it shows in their buyer satisfaction and loss of revenue that they will find a different reason for their failures.
Last edited by cwinfield on Tue May 05, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noslack

Post by noslack » Tue May 05, 2015 7:55 pm

cwinfield wrote:
Seems to be a done deal. Microsoft's solution appears to be buy a xbox one and if you want a DVR get one from the cable company.
Nothing is a done deal until it is too late, and it is not too late, just like anything, you don't make your voice heard, then, yes, it is a done deal, but these are companies that don't like to upset customers, and hate bad press even more, and hate being pestered the most...

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue May 05, 2015 8:02 pm

I doubt there will be a concession by MS and even if there was it will be a half assed life support version that they will try to kill off once again when windows 11 comes along. The only way MS will redeem themselves would be a real commitment to a next gen WMC.

cjmccarthy72

Post by cjmccarthy72 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Of course, the first step for MS to try to quieten the vocal supporters of WMC was to buy out and then gut the original Green Button website- that it was their intent seems pretty clear now

cubdukat

Post by cubdukat » Tue May 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Is PlayReady DRM the only way to record and play back encrypted premium channels the only way to go?

Maybe someone could adopt or create a new standard, adopt an existing one, or worst case scenario, license PlayReady for inclusion in their DVR?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 8:59 pm

cubdukat wrote:Is PlayReady DRM the only way to record and play back encrypted premium channels the only way to go?

Maybe someone could adopt or create a new standard, adopt an existing one, or worst case scenario, license PlayReady for inclusion in their DVR?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... e-imagined :)

noslack

Post by noslack » Tue May 05, 2015 9:29 pm

Ed  wrote:
cubdukat wrote:Is PlayReady DRM the only way to record and play back encrypted premium channels the only way to go?

Doesn't help the ones like us that have two and three Ceton 6 tuner cards and have everything set up for that..

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 pm

noslack wrote:
Ed  wrote:

Doesn't help the ones like us that have two and three Ceton 6 tuner cards and have everything set up for that..
That's fine. But he didn't ask about anything in regards to that. The answer is still suitable for his question IMO. Even if he has Ceton gear - he might have no issue replacing it to be able to use something else.

But, the point is noted :)

noslack

Post by noslack » Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Ed  wrote:
noslack wrote:
Ed  wrote:Is PlayReady DRM the only way to record and play back encrypted premium channels the only way to go?

That's fine. But he didn't ask about anything in regards to that. The answer is still suitable for his question IMO. Even if he has Ceton gear - he might have no issue replacing it to be able to use something else.

But, the point is noted :)
I think that ANYONE would not be happy to waste money, and on top of it, put money into a Kickstarter campaign that might or might not work,

But the point is noted

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 9:58 pm

I dunno, they seem to have attracted many people to their Kickstarter so far (enough to meet the inital goal; and seems enough to be on track to meet at least one stretch goal). Even people already with Ceton gear (as they have stated in the thread about it here and on AVS) have donated and/or look forward to it.

Seems like you're just personally against it, for your own reasons. But, suit yourself.

noslack

Post by noslack » Tue May 05, 2015 10:08 pm

Ed  wrote:I dunno, they seem to have attracted many people to their Kickstarter so far (enough to meet the inital goal; and seems enough to be on track to meet at least one stretch goal). Even people already with Ceton gear (as they have stated in the thread about it here and on AVS) have donated and/or look forward to it.

Seems like you're just personally against it, for your own reasons. But, suit yourself.
I don't know, maybe personally I have a problem with 2 tuner cards from the prehistoric age, Tivo, Cable companies, Ceton all have 6 and 8 tuner cards so you think that someone WOULDN'T have a problem with that?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 pm

That's fine if you feel that way. But doesn't mean everyone else does, or should (and obviously don't), is all. :)

Maybe you could petition Ceton to come up with something for you; with WMC on its way out and the fact you don't care for SD's solution.