Windows 10 is the official name for Windows 9

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:25 am

poit57 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:
poit57 wrote: I can't successfully complete the Digital Cable Advisor,
have you tried a manual download and install of playready. Then DCA after?
Playready installed just fine. It is just the DCA that is giving an error. I'm not too worried about it. I'll just wait and see if Media Center is included whenever the consumer preview is released.
This will complete the test for you. http://missingremote.com/guide/override ... a-center-7

Esteban4u

Post by Esteban4u » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Hello All in the HTPC Community. To this date, Microsoft has neither denied or confirmed that Media Center will either be included or be available as an add-in option for Windows 10. Even more uncertain, is whether Microsoft will ever update / continue development of Media Center. They've seem to be more interested in developing the media center offering within XBox One than the Media Center we all in the HTPC community know and love. AFAIK, the media center-like capabilities of the XBox One have been the least of gamer's concerns on that gaming platform. Many gamer's simply aren't using it. So for Microsoft pouring so much development resources into that and ignoring the outcries of the HTPC community is beyond my understanding. Unless i'm totally wrong, there was an uproar when Microsoft decided not to include WMC in Windows 8. At that time, the management at Microsoft specifically in charge of Windows 8 development, Steven Sinofsky, couldn't care less of what the public thought of Windows 8 mobile/tablet-centric features like the start screen and most likely cared even less about WMC. With the dismal sales performance/acceptance/reception of Windows 8 shortly after it's lauch, it's no surprise Steven Sinofsky was booted from the company. Microsoft didn't allow their consumers to shape the final product in any way and what they got was bad publicity and a bad if not worse public perception that still lingers 'till today.

The situation is different now. After the bashing Microsoft received for Windows 8, and the lukewarm reception of Windows 8.1 "improvements", they appear to have their ears open to public opinion and constructive criticism during the Windows 10 development process in the form of the windows 10 Technical Preview and the possible consumer preview that will follow.

In an interview Neowin did with Ceton Corp, (http://www.neowin.net/news/interview-we ... -windows-8), Neowin asked: "Windows 8 has come under some heavy criticism since the launch and sales of new PCs have been slowing. What do you think Microsoft needs to do to help improve sales of Windows 8 PCs?" and Ceton answered: "What we hear loudest from our customers is that they want to see Microsoft put more focus on Windows Media Center. They’re disappointed Microsoft made no real improvements to Media Center in Widows 8, and in fact removed capabilities like support for non-Microsoft Media Center Extenders. It’s a shame Microsoft doesn’t recognize the incredible opportunity they have in Media Center. Media Center does more for whole-home digital entertainment today than anything else out there. What other platform lets you watch and record live pay-TV, enjoy Netflix and any other streaming service, as well as your personal libraries of music, movies, photos and videos, all on one device? Not to mention having that experience on every TV in your home, including one DVR that’s available to all TVs? No other platform lets you do that today. Not Xbox, Apple TV, Mac, Google TV, Roku, Playstation, cable set tops … you name it."

If I still have your attention, I thank you for reading this rather long post/rant. I love WMC and I don't want to see it stagnate any further and die. I just have a little more to say, but I'll have to continue on a separate post.

Esteban4u

Post by Esteban4u » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:36 pm

This is a continuation of my previous post. Again I thank you for reading this.

I've heard people in the tech industry who report on news related to Microsoft like Paul Thurrott from (http://winsupersite.com/) say things like, WMC is hardly used by any if not none of Microsoft's customers during his podcasts with Leo Laporte, and that this will be the reason Microsoft will eventually kill it. He's also mentioned that if there were any user's of it (and that would mean us in the HTPC community), that we just make up a small, non-vocal minority anyways. We in the HTPC community need to take this opportunity to voice our concern and desire for the inclusion and continued development of WMC in these Windows 10 previews by participating in them and letting our voice be heard through the feedback tool and forums they are finally offering us.

I'd like to end this rather long post with another quote from the same interview Neowin did with Ceton Corp. (http://www.neowin.net/news/interview-we ... -windows-8), "Media Center is a powerful strategic differentiator Microsoft has that its competitors don’t. They seem to have forgotten that. Rather than just chase the PC industry after the tablet craze, we think Microsoft is missing an opportunity to re-invigorate Windows and the PC as an entertainment platform as well. The pieces of the Media Center puzzle that were missing when Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 launched are there now, with the availability of low-cost multi-channel TV tuners and inexpensive thin-client extenders. There wasn’t a compelling consumer value proposition for Media Center before. It’s there today. It’s time to double down."

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Esteban4u wrote:This is a continuation of my previous post. Again I thank you for reading this.

I've heard people in the tech industry who report on news related to Microsoft like Paul Thurrott from (http://winsupersite.com/) say things like, WMC is hardly used by any if not none of Microsoft's customers during his podcasts with Leo Laporte, and that this will be the reason Microsoft will eventually kill it. He's also mentioned that if there were any user's of it (and that would mean us in the HTPC community), that we just make up a small, non-vocal minority anyways. We in the HTPC community need to take this opportunity to voice our concern and desire for the inclusion and continued development of WMC in these Windows 10 previews by participating in them and letting our voice be heard through the feedback tool and forums they are finally offering us.

I'd like to end this rather long post with another quote from the same interview Neowin did with Ceton Corp. (http://www.neowin.net/news/interview-we ... -windows-8), "Media Center is a powerful strategic differentiator Microsoft has that its competitors don’t. They seem to have forgotten that. Rather than just chase the PC industry after the tablet craze, we think Microsoft is missing an opportunity to re-invigorate Windows and the PC as an entertainment platform as well. The pieces of the Media Center puzzle that were missing when Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 launched are there now, with the availability of low-cost multi-channel TV tuners and inexpensive thin-client extenders. There wasn’t a compelling consumer value proposition for Media Center before. It’s there today. It’s time to double down."
I think we all hope they keep WMC but I would actually be more worried if Microsoft did try to market WMC. It didn't ever appear that Microsoft pushed the capability but even when that is their intent they seem to mess up, see windows phone. Whenever someone threatens the cable monopolies they fail. Microsoft's Mediaroom eventually was sold to Ericsson and Intel's attempt to get into cable failed. Maybe Microsoft was able to get under the radar like a Trojan horse due to it appearing crippled and not threatening and was their play all along. I think we all wish that Microsoft took WMC seriously and ironed out existing bugs, add new functionality, but at the end of the day I fear Microsoft blundering actions destroying what actually is there and what works.

I think that they intended to kill the WMC platform for xbox live membership and a la carte service. They really thought that xbox one guide overlay was the future but gamers don't want it. It says a lot that the xbox360 MCX functionality is better and uses WMC.

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:38 am

When no new functionality was delivered in 8MC, I decided to keep my main media center PC on 7MC.
I'm hoping for 10MC, but if it does appear, I'd judge it on its merits. A simple port of the existing code would probably not persuade me to upgrade.

However, I noticed an announcement this week from MS confirming that Windows 10 will support H.265/HEVC video decoding.
As an optimist, I wonder if 10MC will be launched with 4K TV support!

STC

Post by STC » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:05 pm

^ ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Anyone out there running the Windows 10 preview that can tell if Windows Media Center is included?

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:53 pm

No. But if you have the install/key for Windows 8 Media Center, you can install it on Windows 10.

dougfoot

Post by dougfoot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:39 am

Windows 10 tech preview does not include WMC, and installing a Windows 8 WMC key breaks the tech preview (prevents further tech preview updates).
If you are using Windows 8/8.1 with WMC, you must uninstall WMC in order to do an in-place upgrade to the tech preview.
So the tech preview updates or testing have mentioned WMC...

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:34 am

dougfoot wrote:Windows 10 tech preview does not include WMC, and installing a Windows 8 WMC key breaks the tech preview (prevents further tech preview updates).
If you are using Windows 8/8.1 with WMC, you must uninstall WMC in order to do an in-place upgrade to the tech preview.
So the tech preview updates or testing have mentioned WMC...
That doesn't look promising for 10MC existing (even if we know it would be exactly the same as 7MC).
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:50 am

I'm thinking (with the advent of the USB Digital TV tuner for Europe) that MS might release an app on Windows 10 that collects tv tuners installed and streams them to the TV part of the Xbox One (just as you have now on HDMI-in or USB as TV sources). I don't think we will see a 10-foot interface on Windows 10.

As others have mentionned, Windows 10's support for HEVC, .mkv, and .flac files is also a good step. And if rumors are to be believed that Windows 10 will run on the Xbox One next year, well then I'm ok with having the Xbox One as my main source of Entertainment.

jnzooger

Post by jnzooger » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:16 am

I just wanted to add based on the subject of the thread:

Windows 8.1 was the official name for Windows 9. Looking at the internal version numbers, 8 and 8.1 are different kernel numbers. I'm sure it's known by now that they wouldn't use the name Windows 9 due to confusion with Windows 9x.