Single frame "live tv", cannot play wtv

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
klumsybot

HTPC Specs: Show details

Single frame "live tv", cannot play wtv

Post by klumsybot » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:55 am

Hi, I think I have a codec issue.

Previously I had an HTPC running windows 7 but the mainboard has failed and I need to replace it.

Here's a bit of context:
System: Lenovo M93p
CPU: i5-4570
Ram: 2x 8GB
GPU: Intel HD4600
Tuner: HVR-2200

DVD player app seems to be working, it asks me to insert a disc to get started.

Installed WMC using garyan2's MSI

I eventually got through all the setup and now I'm nearly finished. When I play "live tv", I usually get one frame and a split second of audio, after that, I get a black screen. Interestingly, radio stations don't have issues.

I can record live tv, and play back the .wtv successfully in VLC. This indicates to me that the tuner driver is ok.

Old recordings transferred from the old HTPC also can't be played in the new WMC, but can be played back ok in VLC

This makes me think I have some kind of video codec issue. I have installed Shark007's standard codecs and applied the "WMP suggested settings" in both x64 and x86. Are there any special settings needed?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:18 am

I see that machine only has VGA and Display Port outputs.

I assume you are using the latter, but I thought WMC doesn't always work with display port because it isn't always certified as HDCP compliant.

I have never used display port so hopefully someone here can corroborate or correct.

klumsybot

Post by klumsybot » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:46 am

Found it. Seems to have been the intel graphics card drivers.

Windows provides graphics driver 20.19.15.4963 (2018) where wtv works fine once windows dvd player windows10.0-kb3106246-x64.msi is installed
Lenovo Vantage / support website updates to 20.19.15.5126 (2020). Immediately after installation of this driver, wtv will not play on WMP or MCE

I didnt need any codec packs at all.

Hope this helps someone

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:24 pm

jolly good.

my first thought was graphics drivers because I had the exact same problem with the intel chip on my HTPC mobo but then I saw it was a display port and thought that might be it.

looks like I was wrong about Display Port anyway - seems it only affects protected media.