2015 LTSB sees OTA tuner but not Cablecard tuner

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
CZ Eddie

HTPC Specs: Show details

2015 LTSB sees OTA tuner but not Cablecard tuner

Post by CZ Eddie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:23 am

All the forums say that Win10 1511 or earlier can see Cablecard tuners.

Well, I have a fresh install of Win10 2015 LTSB that can see my HDHomeRun OTA tuner but cannot see my HDHomeRun Prime Cablecard tuner.
Could someone verify for me that it's working for them?

HDHomeRun software sees both tuner types fine, of course.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:37 am

Have you installed Digital Cable Advisor? Also, what version of SiliconDust drivers did you install?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:46 am

garyan2 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:37 am
Have you installed Digital Cable Advisor? Also, what version of SiliconDust drivers did you install?
Hi Gary, yes I did. Got it and WMC from your website.
I used a 2015 dated driver from silicondust.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:36 pm

These are the steps I took.
--------------------------------

Installed windows 10 "2015" LTSB version 10240
en_windows_10_enterprise_2015_ltsb_x64_dvd_6848446.iso

Installed Wifi driver

Did all Windows updates

Installed .NET 4.6.2 (for SiliconDust driver prerequisite)

Installed hdhomerun_windows_20150826.exe

Install latest GaRyan2 WMC version (wmcsetup-x64.msi (1606) as of today):
https://garyan2.github.io/win10.html

Install digitalcableadvisorsetup_x64.msi
https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html

Install PlayReadyPC_x64_v1.3.10.msi
https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html

Opened WMC and went to set up tuners but got No Tuner Found.

Disconnected my HdHomeRun Prime and connected my first gen HDHomeRun OTA tuner box and that was seen by WMC just fine.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:21 pm

That all looks good as far as I know, but I wonder if the problem is using LTSB version. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't include what is needed for DRM.

BUT... I did see on the MDL forum that someone had some problems with DCA and running digitalcableadvisoroverride fixed their issue. I'm not sure what the override program is though.
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... st-1507486
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:29 pm

There is also mention on the MDL forum about a media pack install needed for LTSB/C and I believe N versions. Hopefully someone else in here can help out to define what works with LTSB.
- Gary

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:08 pm

You might want to look at this thread from a couple years ago:
viewtopic.php?p=135021#p135021

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:12 pm

Hmm, I tried the Media Pack (shouldn't be necessary unless using an "N" version of Windows) and the override, but neither helped.

So, then I installed the Win10 1511 that everybody says works and even that doesn't detect my Prime tuner.
So, maybe there is an issue with my Prime tuner? Already tried power cycling it.
Now, I'll try installing Win7 which absolutely should pick it up.

I don't think my Prime needs to be connected to my cable provider for it to be picked up by WMC.
That wouldn't be an issue, would it? Because I'm not going through that heck with my cable provider unless I know for sure I can get it working in WMC first.

mwpeterson

Post by mwpeterson » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:02 pm

https://www.silicondust.com/support/troubleshooting/

Also, you installed DCA, did you run it?

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:48 pm

Yep, I ran DCA. It failed at the video card but everything else was fine.

I also opened up everything. Enabled Network discovery.
Verified tuner discovery via command prompt.
Disabled the Firewall. Arghh.

I installed Windows 8.1 and it saw my CableCard tuner just fine.
Then, I noticed that Nvidia blocks driver installs for RTX video cards on 8.1
And that led me to finding out that they also block RTX driver installs on Windows 10 LTSB!

Geez. So, not only can I not get LTSB working with CableCard tuner but I also cannot install any video drivers.
Not even if I downgraded to 8.1, which I won't do because it only has Windows update support for another few months.

mwpeterson

Post by mwpeterson » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:43 am

The only other thing I can think of is that one of the windows updates on 10240 kills WMDRM like on 10586. I know 10586.589 was the last version to work with the HDHomeRun Prime. You could try again and then stop updates.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:26 pm

My 10240 is older than 10586.589. :(

mwpeterson

Post by mwpeterson » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:36 pm

Yes, but if 10240 received an update for Playready 3.0 it would've broken WMDRM and thus the Prime won't work anymore. I don't know that it did.
I was pointing out that on 10586 any updates past 10586.589 don't work when they introduced Playready 3.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:23 pm

CZ Eddie wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:23 am
All the forums say that Win10 1511 or earlier can see Cablecard tuners.

Well, I have a fresh install of Win10 2015 LTSB that can see my HDHomeRun OTA tuner but cannot see my HDHomeRun Prime Cablecard tuner.
Could someone verify for me that it's working for them?

HDHomeRun software sees both tuner types fine, of course.
Just a FYI. I also have a HDHR Prime cable card tuner. I too really did not want to give up WMC on Win10. So I went thru the effort to get it running. I really don't remember the steps required as this was a few years ago. Then shortly later MS released a windows patch that would break it. I then had to start over and go thru all the work again to get WMC up and running. Then shortly later MS released another patch and it broke again. After getting it back up and running, I disabled the Windows Update service so I wouldn't get patches any more. Sure enough, MS was able to patch my system. So disabling the Windows Update service is not sufficient. Somewhere on this forum you will find someone released a script to completely disable windows update. It works. Look for it. Eventually I gave up and now use SiliconDust's DVR solution. It works. The interface is not as nice as WMC. But it works. Something to think about before repeatedly going thru a bunch of work to get WMC running for a cable card tuner.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:28 pm

SpencerC wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:23 pm
Just a FYI. I also have a HDHR Prime cable card tuner. I too really did not want to give up WMC on Win10. So I went thru the effort to get it running. I really don't remember the steps required as this was a few years ago. Then shortly later MS released a windows patch that would break it. I then had to start over and go thru all the work again to get WMC up and running. Then shortly later MS released another patch and it broke again. After getting it back up and running, I disabled the Windows Update service so I wouldn't get patches any more. Sure enough, MS was able to patch my system. So disabling the Windows Update service is not sufficient. Somewhere on this forum you will find someone released a script to completely disable windows update. It works. Look for it. Eventually I gave up and now use SiliconDust's DVR solution. It works. The interface is not as nice as WMC. But it works. Something to think about before repeatedly going thru a bunch of work to get WMC running for a cable card tuner.
Thank you. That's why the thread is about LTSB which doesn't have to worry about the updates you mentioned.
LTSB is used by server admins/IT/related and does not get forced all the same updates that were breaking the client/pro/etc versions of 10.

I require WMC because my providers are all copy-protected.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:56 pm

CZ Eddie wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:28 pm
SpencerC wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:23 pm
Thank you. That's why the thread is about LTSB which doesn't have to worry about the updates you mentioned.
LTSB is used by server admins/IT/related and does not get forced all the same updates that were breaking the client/pro/etc versions of 10.

I require WMC because my providers are all copy-protected.
I am very familiar with LTSB, now called LTSC. The entire environment I support all run LTSB. They release patches on a monthly basis for LTSB. They just don't do feature updates as frequently as enterprise, pro, or home versions. Good luck on your endeavor, hopefully you don't get frustrated like I did.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:01 pm

SpencerC wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:56 pm
I am very familiar with LTSB, now called LTSC. The entire environment I support all run LTSB. They release patches on a monthly basis for LTSB. They just don't do feature updates as frequently as enterprise, pro, or home versions. Good luck on your endeavor, hopefully you don't get frustrated like I did.
Oh, gotcha... you didn't mention it and most people don't know about it.
Thanks for responding.

So, you were getting updates on LTSB 2015 that were killing WMC?
That sucks to hear. :(

Without a proper video driver, I no longer care about getting this working.
But if you happen to remember what trick you used to get it working, please share it with us!

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:18 pm

SiliconDust claims they will have DRM recording soon. But they have been working on it for years. Look into Channels DVR, I believe they support DRM.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:23 pm

SpencerC wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:18 pm
SiliconDust claims they will have DRM recording soon. But they have been working on it for years.
Yeah, I gave up checking for updates on that promise a few years ago.
SpencerC wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:18 pm
Look into Channels DVR, I believe they support DRM.
Eww, looks like it DVR's streams rather than higher/constant quality cable TV.
I'll research it though, thanks for the heads up!

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:39 pm

Plex media server is something to look into also, but I'm not sure if they support DRM. During my frustration stage I set up VM running Win7 and got WMC working on it. It just annoyed me that it wouldn't go totally full screen on the monitor. But it did work.