Black screen on some but not all OTA channels

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
plutoz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Black screen on some but not all OTA channels

Post by plutoz » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:05 pm

I am having a weird issue with a new WMC (msi version) install on the last release of Windows 10 (21H2) on an HP ProDesk 600 G1 Mini using a HDHomeRun tuner.

Everything went fine with the setup, finding the tuner, adding the channels etc. but when I go to watch 'Live TV' only some of the channels display a picture, other ones just show a black screen and pretty much crash WMC, I can only exit by pressing ctrl-alt-del and bringing up task manager and ending the WMC process.

I have an older PC running the same Win10 release, same HDHomeRun software version and I can connect it to the same TV, same tuner over the same network cable and everything works fine.

Any suggestions on what to try to resolve? I'd really like to get rid of the big tower PC in my living room!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:08 am

My guess would be video drivers and/or installing a codec pack if needed to start.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

plutoz

Post by plutoz » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:23 pm

Thanks Gary, that's interesting I've never had to install a codec pack before for OTA tuning. Is there one you recommend?

I don't think I have any choice on video drivers Windows 10 gets the drivers for the onboard Intel video automatically and I don't think Intel has them available for download on their site anymore. It may be that the chipset in this PC is just not compatible with whatever WMC is trying to do, which is too bad cause it's really a nice little PC perfect for HTPC without taking up too much room.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:14 am

I haven't checked in quite a while, but you should be able to get drivers from Intel for Win10 off their website.

I also haven't had to worry about codecs in a long time, but my go-to was Shark007. It had options specifically for WMC, don't know if they are still there or not.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io