I had to install Windows 10 version 1511

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
cyberdoc999

HTPC Specs: Show details

I had to install Windows 10 version 1511

Post by cyberdoc999 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:48 am

I've been working on this for about 3 months! Here's what worked for me:

I tried different versions of Windows 10 and the latest Windows 7
here's what worked for me. I had to install Windows 10 version 1511
(and block all updates)
do a search for Windows 10 version 1511

now everything works perfectly and I can record any show
without worrying about whether or not it will record or not. It always records my shows. And works perfectly. I do not use this computer on the Internet. It it my TV recorder computer. I had to install WMC-V13_x64 because WMC-V8.8.5 would not detect my TV tuners.
Now I can finally stop this madness.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:18 am

cyberdoc999 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:48 am I've been working on this for about 3 months!
I tried different versions of Windows 10 and the latest Windows 7
here's what worked for me. I had to install Windows 10 version 1511
(and block all updates)
do a search for Windows 10 version 1511

now everything works perfectly and I can record any show
without worrying about whether or not it will record or not. It always records my shows. And works perfectly. I do not use this computer on the Internet. It it my TV recorder computer. I had to install WMC-V13_x64 because WMC-V8.8.5 would not detect my TV tuners.
Now I can finally stop this madness.
Do you mind me asking what setup you have that requires you to run 1511?

dougpowers1965

Post by dougpowers1965 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:42 pm

I suspect he is using a CableCARD, which only works on version 1511 or earlier.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:00 pm

That is well documented and the OP wrote that they has spent three months working on it.

I just wondered why.

dougpowers1965

Post by dougpowers1965 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:15 pm

I actually wondered that myself because, as you stated , it has been well documented for a LONG time. Perhaps the OP didn't even realize there was a difference between CableCARD tuners and other types. :) I have found your expertise and updates very useful. Now if only someone such as yourself could/would figure out what needs to be added/updated in the subsequent Win10 versions to allow CableCARD tuners to be useful again. Sigh...if only I were as smart/trained as much....I am only self-taught over the years and am a diehard WMC fan and user. With the signals from my cable company (Cox/Virginia) being encrypted I cannot use any tuner other than my Ceton ETH6 network tuner as it decrypts the channels. I have tried using the WinTV-quad-HD PCIe TV tuner card but without decryption it's no good for cable TV, not to me anyway.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:32 am

People who know more about these things than me say that Microsoft removed WMDRM, which was the DRM mechanism used by cable cards in early versions.

It seems that the resolution to the problem isn't so much technical as ethical and I don't think *anyone* would be prepared to try putting it back due to the number of laws it would break.

There have been numerous discussions on here and on My Digital Life Forums though and the consensus seems to be that there is simply no alternative to using a really old version.