Once again, great work. I uninstalled the old 8.8.5 and ran your installer, at first the new WMC wouldn't launch, no error or anything just did nothing. I manually deleted the old windows\ehome folder (it still had a couple of files left) and then the new install of WMC opened as it should. This may have been user error, as i'm not sure if i rebooted between uninstalling the old one and installing yours.
Everything runs smoothly, had to run a 'repair' setup on a couple of add-ins to get them working again (media center themer, my forecast and recorded tv hd were the ones that threw an error saying they couldn't be launched in background), this was to be expected though and is a 2 minute job, more of an FYI for anyone reading this.
This ones quite specific and I'm unsure how many people use DVBLink, in 8.8.5 (and i think a version or two before this) DVBLink stopped working and channels would not play from the TV Guide, someone clever worked out that placing a file "MSVidCtl.dll.mui" into the language folders fixed it. On initial install i can confirm that DVBLink would not play TV channels, but copying the file manually (i got mine from the en-gb folder of the original WMC8.8.5 zip) did the trick and TV channels played again instantly. Weirdly the dll file is in all of the 8.8.5 language folders, but never got placed by the installer. I'm not sure if there's a reason for this, but it would be handy if it happened automagically with the install.
Also - maybe more an epg123 thing, i manually copied and replaced my database files and this worked fine, above it's suggested to use the backup / restore options on epg123, but when I've used these features (and the rebuild database) thought guide settings, recordings etc are intact epg123 says it cant find any tuners and so i end up having to run tv setup from scratch. I don't know if this happens with all tuners or it's just DVBLink, but manually restoring the database files retained all the tuner information and required no TV setup.