WMC 8.8.5 MSI Installation Package for Win10/11

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by technodevotee » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:26 pm

I'm afraid that reinstalling WMC after a major update is something we are stuck with.

Gary put a lot of effort into making the MSI easy to install and configure and easy to repair but there's always going to be things like the one you encountered that trip people up.

Wildrat

Post by Wildrat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:30 pm

technodevotee wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:26 pm
I'm afraid that reinstalling WMC after a major update is something we are stuck with.

Gary put a lot of effort into making the MSI easy to install and configure and easy to repair but there's always going to be things like the one you encountered that trip people up.
The MSI is much easier than what we had before, though it was not difficult. I prefer the installer since I am lazy! Are you anywhere near RAF Fairford?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:59 am

Not really.

I'm in Worcestershire.

Wildrat

Post by Wildrat » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:23 pm

technodevotee wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:59 am
Not really.

I'm in Worcestershire.
Yep, a few miles away. I looked at my audio driver and Windows did update it, to my dismay. I can't remember which driver I was using. All I know is my receiver is in PCM mode, which I do not like because I can't change surround formats on the receiver. I'll mess with it when I feel more like screwing with my PC. For now, I just switch back and forth between stereo and 7.1.

Phone Guy

Post by Phone Guy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:05 am

Quick question for the gurus here. To play audio from tv/recorded tv (hdhomerun tuners), the system sound has to be to set to stereo otherwise the sound will play for a few seconds and repeat and stay locked in that repeat cycle. This effects 5.1/7.1 surround when playing back of .mkv or .mp4 media using K-lite codecs. Is there anyway to fix this?

More detailed:
Using Klite codecs, which plays everything. PC is connected directly to soundbar, which passes through video to tv (gt1030 to lg atmos soundbar). When PC sound is set to 5.1 or 7.1 and I play atmos or truehd or dts or aac, klite works and I get sound from all the right speakers in this 7.1.2 atmos setup of my soundbar. However, if PC is set to anything other than stereo, when watching tv or playing back recorded tv, the sound plays for a second and skips and repeats and stays in this mode until you stop it, so no sound (video plays fine btw). this is only when playing live tv or recorded tv. so I have been manually switching system sound from 7.1 to stereo when watching tv, and back from stereo to 7.1 when playing back mkv/mp4 files (right click on speaker icon in system tray and changing speaker setup). this is not wife approved and honestly its a pita for me. Is there anyway to either automate this switch or is there a patch or fix? has anyone else experienced this behavior? I remember reading here years ago (yeah this has been an ongoing thing for us), its a flaw in mce and there is no solution.

Thanks for reading, and any help would be appreciated.