Having issues installing

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Wildrat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Having issues installing

Post by Wildrat » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:57 pm

Hello, new here. I had 8.8.4 installed, it quit working for some reason, I could not get wintv to work either, so I figured my old tv card had gone bad, put a new one in today wintv works, WMP still broke so I used the uninstall command as administrator, restarted, and downloaded 8.8.5, and ran test rights cmd, then installer blue.
Everything goes okay, then it says dvdplayer already installed and quits installing.I searched, but the results were inconclusive.
Help will be appreciated. I am older so keep it simple. LOL

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:12 am

There's really nothing left to do once it get to the point where it gives the message about DVD player being installed.

It would normally just give a message saying 'Done. Please press any key to exit.'

So it should be working at that point.

Wildrat

Post by Wildrat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:10 am

Thanks! This would explain why, during my troubleshooting, it WMP already installed. This brings up another problem then. There are no icons, neither is there a folder in program files. I will look at it more when I am fully awake.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:39 am

WMC doesn't install into Program Files because it was originally part of Windows.

The Icon normally appears on the Desktop but I have seen cases where it never gets created.

The location of where the start menu shortcut exists depends on which version of Windows you are running. In later versions of Windows 10 it can be found in Windows Accessories but on Windows 11, Windows Accessories doesn't exist and it is tucked away under Windows Tools.

Wildrat

Post by Wildrat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:03 pm

Thanks, It is installed. The icon is on the desktop. I guess it was a fluke. The only difference between yesterday's attempts and this morning success was that I was restarting my machine yesterday when uninstalling/installing, then shutting the machine down for the night. All I have to do is set up WMP and EPG. Thank You for your help!
Mark

Wildrat

Post by Wildrat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:59 pm

Everything is working again. Thanks for your help.