How to record a docu series from TV if there are too many parts of it?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
1ST1

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to record a docu series from TV if there are too many parts of it?

Post by 1ST1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:02 pm

Hello, happy new year!

I want to record a documentation series from TV (DVBS2) with the WMC. That documentation series has a total of some hundred parts and a TV station started to send them in the night, several parts per night. I want to take them all, storage is not the problem, but if I want to setup the recording for that series, WMC tells me that there are too many and it doesn't like to record them.

What can I do to get them?

dougpowers1965

Post by dougpowers1965 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:01 pm

I have run into this before also. You can set up a manual recording schedule instead of using the series setup through the guide. Go to Recorded TV\add recording\channel and time and set up from there, it's a pretty intuitive process from that point. This option has the drawback of having to name the program manually (Change Title on the left menu and there is no program data.You can set the channel, date, time, etc. The other option you can try is a custom recording, go to Recorded TV\add recording\Wish List or Keyword and select the preferred search option, then proceed from there. Hope this helps!

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:57 pm

It's not working like that, I tryed already wish list and keyword, it always tells that it finds too many parts of the series. This only work when the EPG is still empty. Is there a way to empty the EPG and preventing WMC to download until the recording has been set up? Or is it possible to edit a recording job outside of WMC? Then I would setup another small series inside WMC, and then change the name of the series I want outside of WMC with some kind of Editor...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:45 am

Before I dive into the WMC code to find where the limit is generated from, I have a kind of silly suggestion. I don't know what the docuseries is, but you might be able to circumvent the limit if you just have less data in the guide. It would involve using the 'Clear guide listings' option in the client (for just the channel that the series is on). You would also have to reduce the number of days you download while you are recording the series. After you are done, just increase the number of days to download and be back to normal.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:07 am

Is it trying to record too many episode because it wants to record repeats, or is it only trying to record the airings you want, but still giving that error?

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:45 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:45 am but you might be able to circumvent the limit if you just have less data in the guide. It would involve using the 'Clear guide listings' option in the client (for just the channel that the series is on). You would also have to reduce the number of days you download
Where is such a setting in the WMC? Where to clear the EPG and where to set a limit to download the number of days for EPG?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:55 pm

Sorry, I made the assumption you were using EPG123.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:50 am

FYI: Series and Wishlist requests are limited to 50 programs or you'll get that result.
- Gary

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:31 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:55 pm Sorry, I made the assumption you were using EPG123.
I already discovered that software, but I don't understand well what it does.