Recording stopped working

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Mugsy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recording stopped working

Post by Mugsy » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:10 pm

I don't know why, but my ability to record stopped working.

Everything was fine as recently as last night. Then suddenly this morning, my scheduled recording didn't record. When I click the record button, nothing happens (other than the usual sound you get when you click the Record button.

Guide shows whether programs are scheduled to record, but when it comes time to record, nothing happens (red recording jewel doesn't appear and no .wmv file created. Yes, I checked for other recorder locations.) Checked my "Record To" folder. Old recordings there, but that's it.

The only thing new since last night was a Win11 Update: "2021-11 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 for x64 (KB5007292)".

No option to remove it. I'm using Windows 11, and it does not include an option to uninstall from the "Update History". :(

Anyone else experience this (or a similar) problem? Is there a fix? Must I reinstall WMC 8.8.5? Any advice welcomed.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:00 pm

FOLLOW-UP:

Unintalled the latest Win11 update and Recording works once again. (Grumble.)

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:40 am

My Windows 11 machine has 2021-11 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 for x64 (KB5007292) and it didn't stop working.

I don't use 8.8.5 though.

I don't know what it did to yours.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:50 am

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if uninstalling a Windows Update in 11 automatically blocks it from reinstalling, but if Windows installs it again, I might try going back to an earlier version of WMC.

Which version are you using?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:56 pm

I expect it will try and install it again.

You never know, it might work next time but if it doesn't I'd be surprised if an older version of WMC would be better.

I'm still using V13, which I wouldn't recommend for general usage because it gets broken at the drop of a hat but at the risk of jinxing myself, I have to say that it has been rock solid for quite a while.

Just goes to show what a great bit of software MS created all those years ago. Even though we've had to help it along in its dotage it is basically sound.