Is there anyway to prevent WMC locking mouse to fullscreen?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
seanbperiod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Is there anyway to prevent WMC locking mouse to fullscreen?

Post by seanbperiod » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:29 pm

Not sure if this is a general Windows issue or specifically WMC, but I have a multi-monitor setup, and I'd like to keep WMC full screen on one, while being able to work on the other 2.

Currently, if WMC is full screen, the mouse is unable to be moved to the other screens.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Space

Post by Space » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 pm

I know nothing about it but I found this.

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:34 pm

Space wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 pm I know nothing about it but I found this.
Thanks! Looks like a good find - I'm playing with it, but it's acting a bit wonky - putting the window across different screens. Neat in concept though, basically keeps it in windowed mode but removes the window chrome. I may just need to fiddle with it some more..

But anyone knows of other solutions please post. :) Thanks!

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:49 pm

I read a thread on MDL about someone using Actual Multi Monitors to do this but it sounded rather complicated.

fulaingt

Post by fulaingt » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:00 am

The maxifier for me used to work perfectly, but for some reason it won't full screen properly and cuts off the edge at the bottom. If I spend time trying to manually edit it under settings, it seems to work, but won't save the settings and I cannot for the life of me work out how to configure the registry key it uses to store those numbers.. :/

I once coded my own program that did the same thing, turned the wmc window into a borderless form, but life has removed too many brain cells from my thing in my head so I cannot even remember how I did it. That and .net just keeps doing my head in.

I have no idea why the devs of the time put in so many feeble restrictions for this program. It's the same with the audio, it controls the main system audio and not just the wmc audio. ahh...

th3luk3st3r

Post by th3luk3st3r » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:54 am

Previously, I've used a combination of the /nochrome switch and a tool called ExpandWnd (https://github.com/urbans0ft/ExpandWnd) to achieve an MCX-like experience over Win10 RDP. Not quite the same purpose, but might work better than TheMaxifier :)

I'd normally drop expandwnd.exe into a folder listed in the PATH variable (C:\Windows is what I normally use - this isn't required if you point your powershell script to the directory containing expandwnd.exe). You'll first have to open WMC normally and position it in a window on the screen you wish it to fill. Then, start WMC with the /nochrome switch added to a shortcut, and then run a small powershell script that runs

Code: Select all

expandwnd.exe "Windows Media Center"
to expand and fill the screen.

Bonus points: create a powershell script that launches WMC in nochrome mode and then runs expandwnd.exe ;)

grandpooba

Post by grandpooba » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 pm

I found hitting the Windows key on the keyboard releases the mouse from being trapped in the WMC monitor (needed to switch off taskbar display on both monitor setting).
Issue then is the WMC IR remote stops working while doing work on other monitor until returning to WMC monitor.
This is my first go at Windows 10Pro with WMC which after much research and "tweaking" time everything seems to be working good now with WMC, new quad OTA tuner and EGP123.
Also my first go with two monitors.
Reluctant to try anything less than simple at this time but will keep an eye on this thread.
Thanks all for keeping WMC alive, I believe it's one of Microsoft's best programs.....too bad they didn't see it that way.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:02 am

I used to use this and it worked great, even worked on Win10. https://www.mods.com.au/Maxifier/

GeeDee

Post by GeeDee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm

Alt-Tab works on mine freeing the mouse until WMC is selected again trapping the mouse although I find using a Window practically filling the screen to be the best solution.