After start of WMC it takes 40s to get a picture

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
hogend

HTPC Specs: Show details

After start of WMC it takes 40s to get a picture

Post by hogend » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:14 am

First thanks to the guys who made the WMC available for us win 10 users and keep it alive. Really great work and i appreciate it! :D

I use WMC 8.8.5 since it was released, because the version before was not working any more since a version update of w10. Until today it works really good, but since about 10 days I have the effect, that after starting wmc, I have only the blue background of the wmc and the picture of the choosen channel appears after about 40 secons first (usually it were only 2-3s). When I have the first picture received, I can switch between all channels as usual and get the picture of the new channel within one second.
When I close wmc and restart it, I have again to wait 40s until wmc brings the first choosen channel to the screen.
What I have already done without success:
- wmc deinstalled with the uninstaller.cmd file in the package of 8.8.5, erased the last files in \ehome folder manually, restarted pc and reinstalled it. New channel scan.
- sfc /scannow - repaired some system files
- I made a clone from my origin ssd and used another mainboard with other cpu, ram, ssd and usb ports (Asus Z490-E, i9-10850k). WMC works but with the 40s effect.

My HW: Asus Z170-A, i7-6700k, Geforce 1080, sat usb stick Pinnacle PC460e, 16 GB RAM
Windows version: 20H2 Build 19042.804

Has anybody any idea what could be wrong?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:56 pm

This sort of delay is usually caused by a problem with the Playready data file.

You didn't say whether you are using DRM or not but if you aren't and you have Playready installed, you can usually resolve the problem by renaming or deleting the Playready data file (%programdata%\microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds).

hogend

Post by hogend » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:27 pm

Fantastic man! You made my day. That was exactly the soluion. I found this file and renamed it and now the pictue comes immediately after starting wmc and choosing the channel. I am so happy, thanks so much guy, you are really an expert !! :D :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Space

Post by Space » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm

This is an interesting fix that I haven't seen before, nice.

But be aware, if you DO have any copy-once (DRM copy protected) recordings, you will be unable to play them back unless you restore the mspr.hds file. Also, any subsequent recording after moving this file will probably cause a new mspr.hds file to be created and that will be required to play back any of those recordings. So if you have any old DRM protected recordings that you don't want to looses access to, I wouldn't mess with this file unless you want to have to keep swapping it in and out whenever you want to play one of these older recordings.

hogend

Post by hogend » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:46 am

Thanks Space for your hints. For me it is not critical because I have not got any old recordings. I use time shift frequently by pausing when advertising starts.
So I am not be forced to see all of that waste ;)
But indeed, after I removed the old mspr.hds file, a new one was created with next start of WMC. But never mind, it works now as expected :)

Valkyrie-MT

Post by Valkyrie-MT » Sat May 22, 2021 6:13 pm

My motherboard clock failed and my SSD got too small for my OneDrive, so I replaced both for the first time in maybe 8+ years on my Media Center. I have 12TB of recordings dating back to 2009. I used the Samsung migration tool to migrate the OS drive to the newer/larger SSD and it all worked along with the latest Windows Update except I had this 40s delay. I copied the mspr.hds file just in case, but after deleting it, as soon as I played something in media center, it was recreated, and the 40s (or so) delay is gone and everything seems to playback fine. Even with the new mspr.hds file.