Trying to install WMC under Windows 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
marty_in_mesa

HTPC Specs: Show details

Trying to install WMC under Windows 10

Post by marty_in_mesa » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:55 pm

I was running find on an HTPC running Windows 7 for YEARS. Then one day, it could not find the tuners, from one minute to the next....
So, after doing some searching, I found that WMC was adapted to run under Windows 10. So, I got a spare Lenovo Tiny M92P, got it all updated.

I have two SiliconeDust HD Prime 3 channel Tuners.

I installed the Silicon Dust HD Homerun utility, I scanned for the channels, for which it found a few over 300. I used the SiliconeDust HomeRun App and was able to tune into the channels....so I know the PC is working, seeing the tuners and able to tune into the channels.

I installed WMC-8.85
Followed the instructions. WMC launched, BUT first I have no Mouse cursor in Full Screen mode.
Second I have NO Extras, I seem to remember having to find the CABLE extra to setup up WMC properly?
Third, I went to setup Live TV and it said No Tuners Found. (Didn't ask for Region, Zip Code, Cable provider etc.)
Help! :-)
Stuck now....

I also used EPG123 and schedules direct...Tunersalad to increase the number of tuners over default 4

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for help and advice. I sure wished Microsoft had continued to Support Media Center. (Don't we all)

Marty

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:14 am

Have a look at this post: viewtopic.php?p=141878#p141878

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:40 pm

Thanks. I found that post. In order to save a bruised forehead, I have reluctantly retired WMC and paid $35 for Siliconedust's annual DVR service.
Seems also as FCC recently said Cable providers no longer have to support Cable Cards so it's days may be numbered and force us into renting their boxes eventually.

Thanks everyone,
Happy Holidays
Marty

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:05 pm

marty_in_mesa wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:40 pm Thanks. I found that post. In order to save a bruised forehead, I have reluctantly retired WMC and paid $35 for Siliconedust's annual DVR service.
Seems also as FCC recently said Cable providers no longer have to support Cable Cards so it's days may be numbered and force us into renting their boxes eventually.

Thanks everyone,
Happy Holidays
Marty
Well that was pointless Nearly all of Cox's channels are DRM, so Siliconedust DVR service was a waste of $35.

I tried to setup TV Signal on Media Center again.
It did not find the CAble Card HDHOMERUN Prime3 automatically but it did when I setup manually. However when doing the channel scan, it did not find any channels.
Any advice?

Otherwise I'll probably be forced to spend another $30 a month on Cox Contour DVR :(

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 pm

I.m not clear on why you are running a scan. WMC does not need/use a scan for cable it uses the tuning information in the guide. I assume you are using EPG123 or you won't have a guide. Did you follow the EPG123 setup guide? Also, IIRC you said in another thread that your cable channels are all DRM, they won't work on Windows 10 as the DRM system in Win 10 is no longer compatible with WMC.

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:24 pm

stuartm wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 pm I.m not clear on why you are running a scan. WMC does not need/use a scan for cable it uses the tuning information in the guide. I assume you are using EPG123 or you won't have a guide. Did you follow the EPG123 setup guide?
When you setup WMC it finds the tuners and then needs to scan for the available channels. It fails that saying it can't find any.
Thus when you go to the listings, it finds no tuners.

I am trying to do a FRESH setup....the channel scan fails.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:35 am

If your cable system is mostly DRM, then it is pointless trying to set up WMC on Win10, as it does not support recording/viewing DRM channels, just like SiliconDust's DVR.
Only WMC on Win7 & Win8 support recording/viewing of DRM channels.

marty_in_mesa

Post by marty_in_mesa » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:31 am

Space wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:35 am If your cable system is mostly DRM, then it is pointless trying to set up WMC on Win10, as it does not support recording/viewing DRM channels, just like SiliconDust's DVR.
Only WMC on Win7 & Win8 support recording/viewing of DRM channels.
Ya, sadly I tried setting up another Win 7 PC....I give up. It was a good run for a long time.
Thanks everyone