WMC stopped working after Windows Update

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Mugsy

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC stopped working after Windows Update

Post by Mugsy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:28 am

ARGH! I was watching TV using WMC when Windows announced it needed to reboot to finish an Update.
I postponed until the next commercial then rebooted to complete the update.

When I finally got back into Windows, when I launch WMC (v8.8.5), it reports "No tuner found" (tuner is fine. Works with other software.)

Does anyone know how to fix this? TIA.

Speedy

Post by Speedy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Well; an usual idea is to uninstall WMC, reboot, then install WMC back and configure it - but I think you do it already? I you try it without effect, problem is more complex and slightly more information could help: what TV tuner you have? And which Win 10 compilation number (it's 5-digit number, something like Build xxxxx, latest published pre-release insider test build is 21277, retail Win 10 ale probably builds 19xxx or something).

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:23 pm

Thx for the reply.

I haven't uninstalled because I'm not sure if it will wipe out my recording schedule.

I use EPG123 though. I'm not sure if that helps or not.

Win10 64bit Pro. Ver 2004. I rolled back the update and it didn't help. Current build is 1[nine]041.630 (why can't I type nines here?)

Speedy

Post by Speedy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:16 pm

There's an topic "WMC on Build 2004" viewtopic.php?f=97&t=13073 Some people could fix their problems using MultiTool - e.g. post # 5. But not all of them so I'm not sure if it would be helpful for you.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:04 pm

Thx for the reply.

I see a LOT of posts referring to "techno's "Replace_DLLs" patch" as working for some users, but not a single download link (I searched the forums.)

I personally already tried the "MSSQLLite" patch, but that didn't seem to work (I extracted my copy of WMC 8.8.5, put the patch in the same folder and ran it.)

The post you referred me to mentions "MultiTool", but provides no link. A Google search turns up nothing helpful.

Is there a Patch/Downloads forum I'm not seeing? TIA

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Those tools don't really work and aren't really needed with 8.8.5 anyway.

You will most likely need to uninistall and reinstall.

If you uninstall and reinstall WMC, you will lose your schedule so the thing to do is to do a backup before uninstalling. You can either do it in EPG123 client or using backuprestoresettings. You can then restore your schedule using the EPG123 transfer tool.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:13 am

Thx.

I'm holding out on reinstalling as a last result. There must be some simple file replacement that gets it working again.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:18 pm

It depends on the actual problem you have.

I modified the install script so that it overwrote an existing installation but couldn't get it working reliably. I know that others on here have tried a similar approach with similar results.

As long as you are uninstalling and reinstalling on the same hardware, restoring the backup made with backuprestoresettings normally works as long as you do it before running WMC after the reinstall.

The transfer allows you to restore scheduled recording on a different PC and I've never had a problem importing the schedule using that.

The difference between the two approaches is that with the former method, you retain the history and all the settings with backuprestoresettings but with the transfer tool, you have to reconfigure and you lose the history.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:15 pm

I have no idea why, but miraculously the problem fixed itself this morning (yes, I've rebooted numerous times since then.)

Last night, I was still getting an error when the recorder attempted to start, but this morning I was stunned to see the red "Recording" button in the tray. I launched WMC LiveTV and sure enough, it's working.

Bizarre. Thx all. I wish I knew why to help others.