WMC on Win 10 20H2 ?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
1ST1

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Win 10 20H2 ?

Post by 1ST1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Looks like it doesn't work? What to do?

pumori

Post by pumori » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:45 pm

works like a charm, what's the problem?
Even restoring the backup with the TV channels worked this time.
20H2 installs like a service pack if comming from 2004

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:18 am

What do I need to install to fix it?

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:23 pm

I updated to 20H2 (2009) using the cab file method on TenForums (the update wasn't showing in Windows Update for my PC) and everything works just as it did before. No need to reinstall WMC or any WMC related programs on my PC. As long as you use Windows Update or the Cab file and you're already on the last 2004 update then it shouldn't cause any issues as all the update file is doing is switching on some features that have already arrived on previous update files. I like these minor updates, much easier than the full updates like V2004.
From past experience though, if you use the Windows Upgrade Advisor program or an ISO to install these minor updates then it does break everything WMC related, so I'd steer clear of these for 20H2 if you want an easy life :)

1ST1: If you've already installed and lost WMC then you'll need to use the WMC installer to try and back up, then uninstall WMC, reboot and reinstall. You can then try and restore settings etc from the backup and reinstall / repair any add in programs.

twegner

Post by twegner » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:12 am

I upgraded my HTPC with Hauppauge tuners for over the air from Windows 20.04 to 20H2, and much to my surprise, WMC still worked without uninstalling/reinstalling, which I usually have to do.

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:20 am

I was able to fix it. I used the 8.5.5 installer after modifying it. So it did a overinstall and now it starts. But at the 1st start it was behaving like on a new installation and showed an express setup. Fortunatelly on that PC, without TV card, my settings were very simple, just media bibliotehques which still were there. Next I will update another PC to 20H2, and this one has TV card, but I don't use WMC on that one 'productive*, just for LiveTV or waching recorded TV from the 3rd machine. The 3rd machine will be the interesting one, because this one has a lot of recording jobs with WMC which could get lost with sich a repair installation.

This one is my modified InstallerBLUE.cmd

Code: Select all

@echo off
>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"
if "%errorlevel%" NEQ "0" (
	echo: Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
	echo: UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
	"%temp%\getadmin.vbs" &	exit 
)
if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" del /f /q "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
)
%windir%\system32\reg.exe query "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE | find /i "amd64" 1>nul || (
echo ============================================================
echo ERROR: This pack is for 64-bit systems.
echo.
echo.
echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
goto :eof
)

echo (I)nstall or (R)repair?
:input
set /p install=Choice (I/R)?  
if x%install%==xr goto install
if x%instapp%==xr goto install
if x%install%==xi goto check_install
if x%install%==xi goto check_install
echo Wrong input, choose (I)nstall or (R)repair
goto input

:check_install
if exist %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe (
echo ERROR: MediaCenter pack is already installed.
echo.
echo.
echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
goto :eof
)
:install
cd /d "%~dp0"
%windir%\System32\reg.exe add HKU\.DEFAULT\Console\^%%SystemRoot^%%_system32_cmd.exe /v ScreenBufferSize /t REG_DWORD /d 19660880 /f >nul 2>&1
bin\NSudoC.exe -U:T -P:E "\"\"%~dp0bin\Installblue.bat"
This modification is just simple, if you choose (R)epair it just does not check if WMC is already installed and starts the (over)installation directly. If the guys who maintain the WMC installer want to take over that change, just feel free to do it and take over the changes to InstallerGREEN.cmd as well.

On the next PC I update to 20H2, the one where WMC is used for LiveTV only, I'll see if this repair installation would kill my TV settings or not, if the 20H2 update would damage WMC again.

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:29 pm

So I upgraded two more machines, WMC survived on them.

scott750

Post by scott750 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm

I see people saying if you go from Win10 2004 to Win10 20H2 it doesn't break WMC. But I'm still on 1909 and just got the option in windows update to upgrade to 20H2, do you think I'll have any issues with WMC breaking? I'm running WMC v8.8.3.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Yes, the upgrade will break the version of WMC you have. I would recommend that you remove it before the upgrade and install 8.8.5 afterward.

scott750

Post by scott750 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:01 am

Gotcha, thanks Technodevotee

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:51 am

So now I also updated the "productive" HTPC from 2004 to 20H2 and WMC was damaged afterwards. It was not starting anymore and my fix to overinstall did not worked. Also the batch file to backup config and to restore it after reinstallation failed, after restore, WMC did not start anymore. I had to uninstall again and setup manually from scratch. Only the TV channels / favourites remained, and the libraries (movies, recordings, music. photos), but not my recording jobs. I am still setting up manually my recording jobs.

A problem which is still there, is that Live TV won't work, WMC tells always, that all tuners are in use. Recording works. Maybe you have an idea how to fix that?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Given that 8.8.5 is Kevin Chalet's handy work, your best bet is probably to send him a PM.

His username on here is Pinpoint but he doesn't seem to come on here very often so I normally get in touch through MDL.

proddick

Post by proddick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Anyone got WMC working on 32 bit version 20H2? Or any suggestions how to?

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:36 pm

LiveTV now is Ok. No idea why, maybe a reboot?

junyan2000

Post by junyan2000 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:03 am

WMC8.8.5 does not really work on 20H2.

I did a clean install of 20H2 on my Lenovo M73 Tiny. WMC8.8.5 installed fine and works fine - functionally - but CPU is at 100%. I can't have that, so I went back to Windows 8.1. At least it will still be supported for 3 more years.

twegner

Post by twegner » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:45 pm

junyan2000 wrote:

>WMC8.8.5 does not really work on 20H2

That's a bit of a generalization based on one data point. I have installed WMC8.8.5 on several machines, new and old, running 20H2, and it works really well on all of them, including my workhouse HTPC that we use daily. Perhaps you are experiencing a 20H2 problem specific to the Lenova M73 Tiny.

pineknotter

Post by pineknotter » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:04 pm

After finally upgrading from Windows 7, I'm having trouble getting WMC 8.8.4 to work as it won't find any of my hdhomerun tuners (even though they play fine in the hdhomerun app).

Also, I read through the forums and saw posts that some tools might help me. Specifically the tools:
fix_thumbnails
replace_dlls
WMC_Multi_Tool
Roll_Back_DLLs

but all of the links to the tools produce 404 errors.

I spent a few hours yesterday trying things and looking for downloads to those tools, but they all seem to have disappeared.

If anybody has any of the links to those tools, or a link to WMC 8.8.5, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:54 pm

V8.8.5 is here: https://mega.nz/file/GKQx3aTB#1PY2AgBQh ... Sc5b2G1XhE

However, I'm not sure it will resolve your issue. I'm not convinced that the tools you mentioned would either.

There seem to be a number of issues getting homerun to work in recent versions of Windows 10. I can't remember the solution people have found off the top of my head but I'll post anything that comes to me.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:58 pm

I found this but can't remember where I got it from so apologies to the OP:
Windows Media Center reports No tuners found when trying to complete TV setup - HDHomeRun PRIME

hdhomerun_windows_20150826 seems to work in Windows 10 whereas earlier and later versions don't.

Open HDHomeRun Setup and verify that the tuners are found and that no UPnP error is received.
Open Control Panel, select View network status and tasks, and make sure the network is listed as Home/Private network.
Click on Change advanced sharing settings.
Verify that Turn on network discovery is selected, and click Save Changes if needed.
Open Computer Management (right click on Computer, choose Manage) and click on Services in the left column.
Verify that the SSDP Discovery Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Verify that the HDHomeRun Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Verify that the Windows Media Center Receiver Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Close the Services Management window.
Open Command Prompt as Administrator (Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator).
Run:
c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery
The command must be typed exactly as shown. Anything that is already present in the command prompt window should be ignored. Just type in the above command. This should list the HDHomeRun PRIME tuners.
Reopen Windows Media Center and access the TV setup wizard again.

Robby66

Post by Robby66 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:23 pm

Good evening everyone, I hope you will excuse me if my "English" is not completely perfect but I am Italian and not really master of the British language.
I wanted to ask for advice to those who perhaps have more experience than me with Windows 10 and WCM: I had Windows 8.1 Pro WMC with an Asus P7131 Hybrid card and I had no problem .. Unfortunately I did an Upgrade to Windows 10 but up to version 1909 I had no trouble, but now with version 20H2 a very strange thing happens to me: the system does not see the TV card in question and therefore I have to install the drivers independently but once done I have no problems, the peripheral is detected and installing WMC- V8.8.5 the program sees the card and does the tuning of the channels.
But the problem occurs when I go to see the channels: everything is displayed in jerks with green spots on the screen and with unsynchronized audio.
At the moment I solved it by creating a Dual Boot with Windows 8.1 (on which WMC is fine) and Windows 10, but it's not a solution that I like so much.
Can anyone tell me if on Windows 10 20H2 it sees WMC well and which dvb-t2 tv card does it use?
Because I'm thinking that the problem is only of non-compatibility of the OS. with the ASUS card even if I don't understand why with the 1909 version it was fine ...
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and / or help.