Windows Media Player had background noise but no voices

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
psilversmith

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Media Player had background noise but no voices

Post by psilversmith » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:16 am

For high-quality video files (multiple audio channels), WMP playback has background noise and music, but no voices. In VLC (which had the same issue) I corrected the problem by changing output from "original" to "stereo". I can find no similar configuration in WMP - but I need WMP to run another 3rd party program. Any help with this WMP configuration issue greatly appreciated. Thanks. Peter

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am

Are you really writing about Windows Media Player?

psilversmith

Post by psilversmith » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am

Thank you for your response. Yes, Windows Media Player. On my machine, I am not able to bring up the Realtek Audio Manager. I'm thinking there may be a setting there of Dolby that needs to be changed to 'stereo'. I've downloaded the newest driver from Realtek. Even clicked on RAVCpl64.exe directly, but nothing happens. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Peter

psilversmith

Post by psilversmith » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:01 pm

technodevotee wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am Are you really writing about Windows Media Player?
Thank you for your response. Yes, Windows Media Player. On my machine, I am not able to bring up the Realtek Audio Manager. I'm thinking there may be a setting there of Dolby that needs to be changed to 'stereo'. I've downloaded the newest driver from Realtek. Even clicked on RAVCpl64.exe directly, but nothing happens. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Peter

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Well, it's just that these forums are for Windows Media Center so you might be better off asking your question somewhere else.

I don't use Windows Media Player (or Windows Media Center) for playing videos myself so I'm not really the right person to help you.

I do know you can select the audio stream in WMP by hitting ALT then selecting Play, Audio. If that doesn't help, maybe you need to install a codec pack and change the settings in there?