Best way to play wtv files on my win 10 laptop offline

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
bigredsaab

HTPC Specs: Show details

Best way to play wtv files on my win 10 laptop offline

Post by bigredsaab » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Trying to find a good way to play .wtv files on my win 10 machine. Found a way to do it using WMP but quality and ability of the program is lacking. It’s pixelly slow and only has slider for skipping commercials. No 30sec skip, fast fwd, rwd. (FYI for those that want to try in win 10 download dvd player trial by MS and wmp will play video in addition to the audio.)

What I want is to play or convert so my win 10 build 1909 64bit geforce gtx i7 10th gen laptop with 1TB can play these offline in as high quality as was recorded (HD) with ability to fast fwd/rwd skip and use time slider like WMC. If program able to do this in native wtv format great. Seams like installing WMC on laptop for my scenario would be a lot of work for my situation. Not planning on storing so converting on the road and playing (via hdmi to TV and onscreen) then deleting is my only concern. Also I’m pretty good at hardware set up but have no idea what format if needed to convert to retain HD quality and boost sound as a previous app I used seemed to need that ability. Had to put to sleep my sony vaio flip win 8.1 battered and road worn broken screen then performed sugery to repair power port and finally stuck was the final nail.

My DVR is a win 7 64bit using ceton tuner/comcast cable card running epg123 schedules direct (so far so good as my schedule from MS finally sputtered to an end last week!) This is my main dvr and storage computer. I can convert at home but it is an I7 machine from the mid win 7 gen and believe my laptop wins the horsepower game.

Tried to search on here but really could not find the whole enchilada to fit my scenario. Feel free to also point me into relevant topics.

To moderator if need to move to better main topic feel free and PM me.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Install VLC Media Player; it just works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.videolan.org/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

bigredsaab

Post by bigredsaab » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:54 pm

Thank you. The time skip is lacking but works only in 10 second Skips. Wondering if there is a way to change it to 30 or more. Or if another program to play wtv offline on my win 10 machine. I looked around vlc and could not find how to change the skip.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Tools-->Preferences, click "ALL" in the lower left corner. Select Hotkey settings in the list. The skip settings are on the bottom right side.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct