Will CableCard ever work again in W10?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
CZ Eddie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by CZ Eddie » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:40 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:18 pmThe HDR model works with a back door but, will not work with premium channels that have DRM on them.
Could you please clarify what this "HDR Model" is that you refer to?
I tried to search it but all the search results were for 4K HDR and unrelated to this topic.

Is it something that lets me run the lastest updates on Win10 and use my cablecard?
I don't care about premium channels.
I just want to to watch all my sports channels like ESPN and some other random shows like Nature or Science channels.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:24 pm

I think he meant HDHR, which is the HD Homerun (Prime).

As far as I know there is no current way to use the latest version of Win10 with cablecard devices.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:32 pm

CZ Eddie wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:40 pm
DavidinCT wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:18 pmThe HDR model works with a back door but, will not work with premium channels that have DRM on them.
Could you please clarify what this "HDR Model" is that you refer to?
I tried to search it but all the search results were for 4K HDR and unrelated to this topic.

Is it something that lets me run the lastest updates on Win10 and use my cablecard?
I don't care about premium channels.
I just want to to watch all my sports channels like ESPN and some other random shows like Nature or Science channels.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he meant HDHR as well.

Have a look at viewtopic.php?p=141878#p141878.

HDHR (Silicon Dust HD Home Run) tuners will work on more recent versions of Windows 10 but NOT cable cards (prime). It is also a lot of work and some people never seem to get it working reliably.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:40 pm

HDHR, okay thank you.
I've never had any issues getting my original HDHR working with WMC + Win10.
Did not know the newer units have issues.
Bummer to hear Cablecard is a no-go.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:38 pm

AFAIK it all depends on the model and versions of everything you are using. It seems that SiliconDust removed support for WMC in a later version of driver software (post 2015) and some people have had to backdate to an older version.

But it seems the whole thing works for some and not others.

I believe that Prime boxes, including cable cards, work with their software on later versions of Windows 10 but WMC can't see the Cable cards, which is down to MS having changed the DRM mechanism in Windows.

It is my belief that the changes to DRM also broke extenders.

mwpeterson

Post by mwpeterson » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:51 pm

There was a way to get the HDHomerun Prime working in Windows 10 ,for non-DRM channels only, using DVBLink for IPTV. Now that DVBLogic has gone out of business, I don't know if there is any way to obtain it.

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:18 pm

You can use a cablecard with Hauppage tuners and Windows 10 using the Hauppage WinTV application: https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support ... ntv10.html . They even have an EPG, though it is not as good as the EPG123 app that was written for Microsoft's WMC. I updated my HTPC to Windows 10 earlier in the year as I had switched over to mainly streaming services and Widows 10 is much more convenient as major services have specialized apps written for Win 10. I have been using the Hauppage WinTV application for five or so months now and it works just fine. It cost me $10 for the software as I already had the dual 2650 cablecard tuner. It has full DVR capability. The one downside is you cannot get protected content which in my case is only HBO and I stream programs. This is worth exploring if your cable provider still uses cablecards.