Remote control and ehtray with 8.8.4 and 1909

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
bjm051593

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote control and ehtray with 8.8.4 and 1909

Post by bjm051593 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:20 am

I just did a clean install of 8.8.4 on 1909 and it's working perfectly (so far ;)) except for one issue... I can't get the remote to work in Windows, it works fine in WMC. I noticed that ehtray.exe does not start by default - if I start it manually, the green button works to launch WMC but then if WMC is closed ehtray.exe is closed along with it... How can I get ehtray.exe to start and stay running?

bjm051593

Post by bjm051593 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Ok, well nm... I did another install on the "official" WMC box and it's working fine... there's a little delay at startup but single GB click does indeed launch WMC now.

I'm impressed with how simple this was to get working (I'm using HDHR and EPG123) a lot of fine work by folks here for sure.

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Glad you got it working, if you find that sometimes the remote stops working, someone came up with a way of keeping ehtray alive - which means the remote always works and things like the recording icon in the system tray also works on Windows 10.

Make a shortcut for ehtray.exe from your ehome folder
Place the shortcut in the start-up folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp)
Right click the shortcut and select properties
Add "/surviveehschedtermination" to the target so it looks something like C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe /surviveehschedtermination

Done- this should keep it alive. Hope this helps you and thanks to whoever came up with the solution! :)