WMC 8.8.4 for win 10 1903 released

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jachin99 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:22 am

Just because I couldn't stand it, I threw 8.8.3 on win 10 v 1903 and added microtube with the TWIT tv xml file. Without replacing any .dll files it played just fine. I also tried registering a web link to the TV channel URL on the HDHR but windows explorer seems to be getting in the way. Instead of just playing the file, Windows gives me an open or save dialogue box so it looks like windows explorer is intercepting things. This still doesn't debunk my theory but I might have to try to find a different way of adding the feed. On another note does anyone know if the files being replaced in newer versions WMC 10 act as the video renderer? If MS updated those to hand 4k & HDR content, and WMC calls them draw the picture on screen then maybe WMC could somehow be HDR capable, which is obviously a crazy theory but perhaps worth investigating.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:41 am

And I got it to play a cable channel via HTTP from my prime. I had to add the url to hosted html page but I got it to play the golf channel. I can provide the file I used later on. Also this isn't going through WMC's TV buffer so there is no rewind, or fast forward but pause did work. Its a far cry from restoring anything to what it used to be but it does prove that its possible.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:08 pm

In order to stream my video from the prime I created three files.

1.A HTM file that runs a script inside WMC which points it to the web address for a given channel.
2. A MCL file that acts a shortcut to the htm file
3. An Icon for the .mcl file. I don't think is absolutely needed

Either way, here are the contents of the files.

HTM file

Code: Select all

<script>							
    function IsMCEEnabled()					
    {								
    return true;						
    }								
    window.external.MediaCenter.PlayMedia(2, "http://192.168.29.12:5004/auto/v1065");
    window.external.MediaCenter.Experience.GoToFullScreen()    
    window.external.MediaCenter.CloseApplication();		
    </SCRIPT>
.MCL file

Code: Select all

<application  name="99.5 CJPX - Radio Classique"		
 url="90.htm" 			
 startimage="90s.jpg" 		
 thumbnailimage="90s.jpg" 		
 description="99.5 CJPX - Radio Classique - Montreal" 			
 category="1" 				
 companyname="">				
 <capabilitiesrequired  directx="false" 	
    audio="false" 				
    video="true" 				
    intensiverendering="false" 		
    console="false" 			
    cdburning="false" 			
 />					
</application>
I used a streaming radio MCL file as the starting point, and that is reflected in the application name, etc. I can try to find the developer pages for this that might get more specific later but that should work for anyone running any version of Windows, and any version of WMC going all the way back to XP MCE 2005 I believe.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Here is the documentation for the playmedia method used in the example above. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... v=msdn.10)

KarterJK

Post by KarterJK » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 am

Well this/these posts explain a lot to me why my HDHomeRun Prime doesn't function.

It was noted that the last version of Windows 10 that worked was 1511, which sounds about right, I could use WMC up until then. As suspected I don't believe Windows 10 and WMC will ever co-exist for DRM use. So I am quite content not using Windows 10, I am not really a fan of it any way.