WMC-V13 for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by technodevotee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Sadly, I have to report that even using my add-ons, V13 doesn't work with DVBLink.

A user on MDL says that he used 8.8.1 with my add-ons and it worked fine.

Since then, I have created a standalone utility called roll_back_dlls that does the job that replace_dlls and fix_thumbnails did.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:57 am

Hi technodevotee, thanks so much for the effort you put into this. By any chance do you have the ability to try to figure out why cable card tuners no longer work on Win10. I believe it has something to do with playready.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:00 am

I think the problem is that Microsoft replaced the DRM mechanism needed for cablecards with playready.

Greater minds than mine have given up trying fix it so it looks like you are stuck with Windows 10 V1503 or windows 7 if you need to use cablecards.

In other news, I was told that V13 didn't work with DVBLink but it works for me using my fixes.

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 am

Very thankful for this V13 release and fixing the Dropbox link, I was having tuner conflicts after re installing WMC since my PC updated to 1903 yesterday! This version with the DLL replacements worked for me! Very happy.

When are MS going to wake up and bring back Media Center.... :-( There has always been a demand for it. Removing the unofficial WMC we all use every freaking time they do a build update is not going to deter us ! Seriously MS pay attention to what people use! The amount of stuff in windows 10 I don't use and never will is endless...

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 am

You are welcome.

Can I ask which other versions you tried?

I am 100% with you on Microsoft forcibly removing WMC but unfortunately, I think there is zero chance that they will ever bring it back or release the code.

Like most companies, they don't see a future for such products so it is down to enthusiasts to come up with ways of keeping old products alive.

m00se

Post by m00se » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:55 am

technodevotee first of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HARD WORK! I just got 1903 and I am trying to re-install WMC. All of your links are down. Is there a problem? Thanks! (I think I need 13)

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:19 am

Yeah, not sure what's going on there. it was working yesterday.

If you really want V13, you can use the old Dropbox links for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mra0rxcmlc4pi ... 86.7z?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlr28dec8htod ... 64.7z?dl=1

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:02 pm

I have fixed the problem with V13 downloads by saving them as zip files rather than 7zip.

Seems the web server didn't like them (which is fine by me because I didn't either).

Mannypl

Post by Mannypl » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:32 am

I am 69 years of age. I have been using, building and maintaining computers since 1995. I have been using Windows Media Center (we spell it centre) since Windows XP. I have had all versions of Windows since Windows 95 and with the exception of' Win95 have had WMC on all of them thanks(many,many thanks to people like you). Lately have been trying to get it to work on Windows 10 v1903 with latest updates with no success until I tried your WMC-V13. It works great and I only had to run the replace dll command to get rid of that "all tuners are in use" notice. I have joined this forum to keep up to date and mainly to thank you for your efforts in bringing back a usable Windows Media Center to Windows 10.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart! :D

Mannypl

Post by Mannypl » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:15 am

Thought I might just add that My Channel Logos-XL which populates the WMC channels with their respective logo (or you can get them from a channel guide) is now free.
Worked great on my WMC so no problems. Here is the link http://www.mychannellogos.com/predownload. Or just search for My Channel Logos and you'll get there.
Cheers all and thanks. :D

garyh140

Post by garyh140 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:22 pm

I installed this back in Late spring. How do I tell which version I have and is there a process for upgrading (do I need to upgrade) without a total uninstall and reinstall

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:16 pm

When you say you installed 'this', do you mean you installed V13?

There's only been a couple of changes to WMC-V13 since I released it.

One is that I added a utility to restore the functionality of MS SQLLITE when it is removed by Windows updating to the very latest versions. Unless you are running insider builds you won't need to worry about that for some time.

I added a test file called known issues and started putting a date in the changes in this version file.

The fix for MS SQLLITE is also available in a utility called WMC Multi Tool and as an add-on that can be used with any WMC installer.

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:15 am

I've installed V13 on a fresh W10 1909 build 10.0.18363.476, running WMC tv signal refuses to find the HDHomeRun Connect (OTA 2-tuner) tuners I have. HDHomeRun app works and tv works fine.

I've tried a ton of things: services, network discovery, repair WMC button in HDHomeRun Setup, tons of reboots and resets of settings.

I tried V.8.8.2, V8.8.1, and older version of WMC (readme says Windows Media Center version 6.3.9600.16384), all having same tuner-not-found issue.

I ran all the fixes provided with V13 to no avail.

Any ideas? where do i find logs that might report the errors?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:09 am

I'm pretty sure that the problem with HDHR tuners is a Windows issue and nothing to do with WMC.

Judging by the number of posts I've read about them here and on other forums, you certainly don't seem to be alone in this problem.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about them so I can't help except to say that most people seem to end up going back to a really old version of Windows 10 and locking it down.

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:29 pm

I see, thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I'll just watch tv and record using Emby Server, setting it up as we speak. WMC was always the ultimate TV app, bummer it won't work.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:58 pm

technodevotee wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:00 am I think the problem is that Microsoft replaced the DRM mechanism needed for cablecards with playready.
This is correct, Microsoft changed DRM in Windows 10, only the very first version of Windows 10 would work before they replaced DRM...

It was updated to support 4K DRM.... When they killed Zune DRM, a lot of 3rd parties used Media Player DRM... and it killed WMC.

Using a Ceton cable card will never work with the newer builds of Windows 10...sigh.. I have a 6 tuner model, so it's why I will never go to 10 with it..

I know one of the versions of 8.8.X had support for watching TV over RDP (not full screen over RDP), does your version support this ?

There was some back hacks to get Extenders working on 8.8.x, do they work on this version or did you find any progress towards it ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:11 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:58 pm
I know one of the versions of 8.8.X had support for watching TV over RDP (not full screen over RDP), does your version support this ?

There was some back hacks to get Extenders working on 8.8.x, do they work on this version or did you find any progress towards it ?
V13 was created using V12 files and a modified V8 type installer so that it can be installed on later versions of Windows 10. It comes with all my add-ons that can be used to work around issues that MS have brought about over the years.

I added App Paths and made a few changes to the installer and backup scripts but I didn't change any of the core files so whatever worked in V12 will work in V13 and whatever didn't work in V12 won't work in V13.

Once I'd got the 64bit version working, I did exactly the same thing for the 32bit version.

You are correct about changes to do with RDP being made in V8.8.x and while it does play video over an RDP session in a window, it can't be used at all in full screen over an RDP session.

At least you can run V12/13 full screen in RDP even if you can't play video.

I can't comment about extenders because I don't use them.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:41 pm

Thanks, let me see if I can find the workaround for Extenders on v12, it might be a useful add on as a lot of people still use them.

This does mean only the Xbox 360, the pre-extenders can only work on Windows 7..(they used a form of RDP, it was changed in 8+ sothey dont work under 8 or higher)

I wish someone hacked the 7 RDP session that non 360 extenders used...now that would be cool... AKA Softsled
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 pm

I believe that the two problems are actually one. The changes in RDP broke extenders and the changes made in WMC to get them working broke full screen in RDP.

So getting extenders working in V13 would make it the same as V8.8.1 is to V12 - better for some and worse for others.

Mike@markradel.com

Post by Mike@markradel.com » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 pm

First, thank you for the work you did to create and maintain MC V13. It is greatly appreciated by those of us who have been using Media Center in Windows 7 and 8.1

I get “Tuner not found” when I try to perform live tv setup in Media Center V13 running in Windows 10 V1903, build 18362.476. I am using an Infinitv-4 card with drivers 13.6.3.1088. I can watch Recorded TV, Movies, pictures, and play music within Media Center, just cannot watch live TV.

So far, I ran the digital cable advisor, the replace_dlls.cmd, uninstalled .net, reinstalled the Ceton drivers, and several other of the work-arounds recommended by technodevotee, all to no avail. The Ceton diagnostic software “Devices” tab detects the Ceton card, the Infinitv drivers, the card is responding, and the temperature is ok. The only problem on that tab is the “Infinitv is not configured for use with Media Center.” I receive all check marks on the “CableCard” tab and I can access the Ceton card by using “http://192.168.200.1

Interestingly, live TV using the Ceton card works with NextPVR / Kodi. I would prefer to use Media Center rather that NextPVR / Kodi so I am open to suggestions on how to get Media Center to recognize the Ceton card.