WMC-V13 for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC-V13 for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 10

Post by technodevotee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 am

I have created a hybrid installer named WMC-V13 by using the files from V12 and a modified installer from V8.

I have made two versions available, 32 bit and 64 bit, which should install on any version of Windows 10 including version 1903.

As many of the changes that have been made since V12 was created as possible have been incorporated.

I have also incorporated some of my own tweaks, including my recently published add-ons. However, in order to keep the installer as familiar as possible, some of these are provided as scripts that can be used if problems are encountered, rather than being built into the installer.

Known issues:
No support for cablecards in later versions of Windows 10 (not really surprising as this is a Windows issue not a WMC issue).
As far as I know, extenders do not work (I haven't tested this as I don't have any).
The System Tray Icon (ehtray.exe) doesn't work at all in the 32 bit version (needs further investigation).
In any version of Windows 10 since 1709, some DLLs in system32 need to be replaced to get WMC working properly (I have incorporated two self explanatory scripts to accomplish this).
WMC crashes when downloading details and/or artwork for certain music (also known to happen on other versions of WMC which points to an incompatibility with new Windows files or features).

Notes:
I have done lots and lots of testing with DVB-T and DVB-S cards but haven't tried either of them on anything prior to version 1709 or on Windows 8.1.
I have found that, when installing on a virgin installation of Windows, it is a good idea to let Windows completely finish configuring everything and has been rebooted several times before attempting to install WMC.
A reboot is sometimes required after installing the DLL patches.
I discovered that many of the entries in the V8 installer files are hard coded for a Windows installation on drive C:. The implications of this are obvious I'm sure but there are far too many of them to change so I had no choice but to leave them alone.

Usual warnings apply:
1. There are numerous possible combinations of Windows and WMC versions so these installers may or may not work for you.
2. There are almost limitless combinations of hardware and software, so they may or may not work for you. They may also mess up something else.
3. It is assumed that you made a backup of the system before using either of these installers.
4. Don't blame me if you mess up your Windows installation and you hadn't made a backup!

32 bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/go55yh47lja3t ... 86.7z?dl=1

64 bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4v756j6i3gsn ... 64.7z?dl=1
Technodevotee

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 am

I probably should have been clearer about known issues and the add-ons to fix them that I included in WMC-V13.

There are a number of reasons I didn't build my add-ons into the installer:

Firstly, some of the issues only occur in later versions of Windows 10 so work arounds such as my add-ons to fix them are only needed in later versions of Windows 10.

Secondly, some of the issues may also recur when Microsoft change Windows at a later date so the fixes may be needed again.

Thirdly, I have no way of knowing what Hardware or Software you have on your PC or what else you use it for. I therefore can't know what collateral damage would occur by running the add-ons on your particular setup so I adopted an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach.

Fourthly, many of the more technically minded users have an in depth knowledge of how the installer works so rather than creating problems by making a lot of changes to it at once, I made a few changes in the installer and put the other stuff outside.

Fifthly, those same, more technically minded users may prefer to use their own known techniques to overcome some of the challenges we have faced in recent years.

Here are some of the known issues in WMC-V13 and how to fix them:

It suffers the same problem seen on other versions where there are no thumbnails. This is because MS switched the functionality of EncDec.dll to MsVidCtl.dll. In later versions, they removed the DLL and the registry entries that link to it entirely. You can run fix_thumbnails.cmd to fix that.

It suffers the same problem seen on other versions where there's no sound or picture when trying to watch or play TV. This is because MS changed the functionality of MsVidCtl.dll. You can run replace_dlls.cmd to fix that.

It suffers the same problem seen on other versions where there is an error about all tuners being in use when trying to record or crashes when trying to play recorded TV. This is because MS changed the functionality of CpFilters.dll. You can run replace_dlls.cmd to fix that.
Technodevotee

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:01 am

Tray Icon (ehtray.exe) is now working on 32bit version.

Added script to clear security token cache (reset_security_tokens) into installers.
May be useful when initial setup data and/or playready won't download.
Technodevotee