Windows 10 1803 Spring Creators Update, game over?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
tonys

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tonys » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi

Sichbopvr is perfect, and the support is great - I asked Simon to add a feature to deal with getting EPG from a different channel and it was done in no time and works perfectly. Way easier to use that any other WMC replacement. Stop trying to get WMC working on Windows 10 - its like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Just use Sichbopvr.

Tony

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:30 pm

tonys wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm Hi

Sichbopvr is perfect, and the support is great - I asked Simon to add a feature to deal with getting EPG from a different channel and it was done in no time and works perfectly. Way easier to use that any other WMC replacement. Stop trying to get WMC working on Windows 10 - its like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Just use Sichbopvr.

Tony
OK...so first off, I've tried working with NextPVR and do not like the interface...it seems like there is room for improvement and may be good for IPTV if you get into it, but I'm not at this point. NextPVR IMO is a big step down from WMC for out of the box OTA viewing and DVR.

For WMC after the 1803 Win10 update...I have reloaded WMC and swapped out MSVidCtl and EncDec dll's from 1709 Win10...my full screen now works, but still locks up when watching recorded files...and my thumbnails still do not work. However, with the reloaded the 1709 dll's it is usable IMO.

Last, I have loaded Sichbopvr and used it a bit today...I agree it does look good and I will try it out some more...but I'm a bit skeptical of freeware...looking at the site, I don't see a way to provide voluntary donations.

I would love for a nice piece of software I could buy/support and that would end the chronic Win10 updated problems associated with WMC.

mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 pm

tonys wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm Hi

Tony
For whatever reason, a few months ago, after reinstalling WMC however many times I did, I have no problems using WMC on the Windows 10 1803 machine that I use it on. I also tested installing it fresh on another Windows 10 1803 laptop, and it worked there, too. I wonder if some of the issues people are having are hardware specific.

One reason I still use WMC is that I use it in combination with ServerWMC and the Kodi ServerWMC client to serve TV content to the rest of the house. Can SichboPVR work as a server and serve to clients running Kodi? Also, I'd have to see if SichboPVR was able to get the same guide information.