A New Project for Modern WMC Development

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
W10MC

HTPC Specs: Show details

A New Project for Modern WMC Development

Post by W10MC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:00 am

Windows 10 Media Center Community is a long-awaited revival effort for Windows Media Center. The project aims to provide new solutions for experiencing modern entertainment on Windows through the development of applications and integrated add-ons for WMC. Features including 4K video playback, streaming content, voice control and other current and emerging technologies will be a primary focus. The official introduction is available here.

ModernMedia UI is the first app to be released. It is an essential new tool for every WMC enthusiast and allows for easy configuration of advanced tweaks that previously required extensive registry editing. In addition, its soon-to-be-released counterpart ModernMedia UI+ will offer a fresh, customizable theme that finally brings the Media Center UI up-to-date with a brand new program guide as well as support for enhanced metadata like Rotten Tomatoes scores, cast images and biographical information. Numerous additional applications are planned for release in 2018 along with various resources for Windows-based HTPCs.

I look forward to providing a source of ongoing development for the forgotten users of WMC. I encourage everyone to check out the project and share it with others to help extend the legacy of Windows Media Center for users around the world.

Thank you for your support!
-Mike

Windows 10 Media Center Community
An independent project for media application development.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:17 am

First we get 6 straight days of updates for the guide data, and now this.

I really do think I am dreaming...

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:33 am

Looking forward to seeing what UI+ is all about

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:19 pm

RyC wrote:Looking forward to seeing what UI+ is all about
I'm with you. I've seen some preview of it, and it is sweet.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

lachape_one

Post by lachape_one » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Merci et bienvenue au projet ;)

https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/2017/ ... ia-center/

Hope this projet will help us about the full screen freeze issue since fall creators update, we're desperate :cry:

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:47 am

Thanks Mike,

We appreciate your leadership to get this started. You have my support. I will spread the word.

Crash2009

Also, Thanks lachape_one for directing me here.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:50 pm

garyan2 wrote:
RyC wrote:Looking forward to seeing what UI+ is all about
I'm with you. I've seen some preview of it, and it is sweet.
Here is a sample showing program information. For those using EPG123, it is possible to display additional data depending on what is available in the feed from Schedules Direct and whether it is practical for Gary to incorporate.
wmc-sample.png
lachape_one wrote:Merci et bienvenue au projet ;)
Thank you for recognizing the project on your website. It is greatly appreciated!
Crash2009 wrote:We appreciate your leadership to get this started. You have my support. I will spread the word.
Thanks, Crash! Glad to have your support.
-Mike

Windows 10 Media Center Community
An independent project for media application development.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Got a PM about this (thanks Crash !). Cool you have my support too.

Looking forward to see what your plans are...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Sooo... This is cool news.. there are some very talented people out there. I'm sure if the right group comes together they can accomplish something truly awesome. Looking forward to further developments on this!!

john321

Post by john321 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 am

How is this different from Win7 Media Center running on Win8, Win8.1, and Win10? It looks like the same old thing, running on Win10 (which is NOT SUPPORTED by Microsoft)! This appears to be nothing but registry tweaks, which have been documented for years.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 am

john321 wrote:How is this different from Win7 Media Center running on Win8, Win8.1, and Win10? It looks like the same old thing, running on Win10 (which is NOT SUPPORTED by Microsoft)! This appears to be nothing but registry tweaks, which have been documented for years.
ModernMedia UI appears to be exactly as you describe. It is nice to have all the tweaks in one place.

https://windows10mediacenter.com has my interest.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm

you have my attention!! :D

tonys

Post by tonys » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:20 pm

This sounds great! Where will you get the EPG data? If it is from the existing (Microsoft) source we will continue to be plagued with problems. If you could provide easily accessed alternatives, particularly OTA for Freesat in the UK, we will at least have a solid EPG for seven days programming.

Good luck!

Tony

JAJ

Post by JAJ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 pm

jachin99 wrote:you have my attention!! :D
Same here...exciting!

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Can you get data from zap2it?
there is a program called zap2xml, which makes an xml tv file of the channels. It can be run as a batch file.
http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

I have been using it and it works good for importing guide data into sichbopvr.
And it is free.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 pm

sdowney717 wrote:Can you get data from zap2it?
there is a program called zap2xml, which makes an xml tv file of the channels. It can be run as a batch file.

And it is free.
You have a way to go from Rovi to Zap2it inside WMC ? And the guide data is free ?

PLEASE document how it's done... it would bring WMC back to the way it was (Zap2it was the provider for WMC before the move to ROVI), or if anyone can do it, that would rock... better guide data, like WMC was, for free....

Maybe it can be imported into EPG123 ?

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=11338
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
sdowney717 wrote:Can you get data from zap2it?

And it is free.
You have a way to go from Rovi to Zap2it inside WMC ? And the guide data is free ?

PLEASE document how it's done... it would bring WMC back to the way it was (Zap2it was the provider for WMC before the move to ROVI), or if anyone can do it, that would rock... better guide data, like WMC was, for free....

Maybe it can be imported into EPG123 ?

Does WMC use xml tv program format for guide data?
If so, then it would be easy to get the guide data.
I made a batch file, told it to run every 6 hours, it collects the data from zap2it.
Simply sign up with zap2it or tvguide, then follow the instructions.
Example: zap2xml -u zap2xmluser@email.xx -p password

Use windows task scheduler to run every 6 hours is what I did.
One task scheduler trick, you must put in the folder directory of the program name to run, or it wont run even though it says optional.
And if you tell it to run for any user, deselect the password and change the file permissions to everyone full read-write.

I have been using sichbopvr in win10, in the advanced section, tell it to load the xml file, and load it at 1, 2, midnight etc.. hours.
It does and populates the guide with updated program data automatically hands free.
It takes about 3 to 4 seconds to collect a week of data.
Various option let you control the amount of data it collects and for how long. So you could collect more data for a shorter time period and do it more often.

I also collected channel logo icons, but sichbopvr has no import feature for them?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm

sdowney717 wrote:
I made a batch file, told it to run every 6 hours, it collects the data from zap2it.

One task scheduler trick, you must put in the folder directory of the program name to run, or it wont run even though it says optional.
And if you tell it to run for any user, deselect the password and change the file permissions to everyone full read-write.

I have been using sichbopvr in win10, in the advanced section, tell it to load the xml file, and load it at 1, 2, midnight etc.. hours.
It does and populates the guide with updated program data automatically hands free.
Various option let you control the amount of data it collects and for how long. So you could collect more data for a shorter time period and do it more often.

I also collected channel logo icons, but sichbopvr has no import feature for them?
WMC has a method to import guide data (loadmxf is the command). It's how EPG123 works. Most WMC downloaded files, even ROVI's guide data is in a XML based format but, it's protected with a certificate, as I understand. EPG123 found a way around this and it imports at a scheduled time.

It would need a lot of trial and error to see if will just update listings (and update for changed listings) but, I posted in the EPG123 forum to see if it's possible to import this data for trial. EPG123 might be able to import any XML data.... I posted in there and he replied so it should be possible... the HOW is the big question...

-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:03 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
sdowney717 wrote:

WMC has a method to import guide data (loadmxf is the command). It's how EPG123 works. Most WMC downloaded files, even ROVI's guide data is in a XML based format but, it's protected with a certificate, as I understand. EPG123 found a way around this and it imports at a scheduled time.

It would need a lot of trial and error to see if will just update listings (and update for changed listings) but, I posted in the EPG123 forum to see if it's possible to import this data for trial. EPG123 might be able to import any XML data.... I posted in there and he replied so it should be possible... the HOW is the big question...

Looking at your other thread, it sure seems like this could work, if someone is willing to do so.
I know the Rovi data has channel 21.2 all messed up on our WMC, not even close, lists description is for a different channel entirely.
And I had to disable half the channels that WMC comes back with on setup as they are not local to us. That never used to happen.

I found I can make my batch file run silently.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/hidden-star ... g-console/

The comment in the other thread was takes long time to get this data, but see only if you gather huge amounts of extended data that covers a long period. You can shorten the period and it will speed up. Regardless going for the extended data info only took a few minutes anyway versus a few seconds for the standard command.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm

sdowney717 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:
sdowney717 wrote:

Looking at your other thread, it sure seems like this could work, if someone is willing to do so.
I know the Rovi data has channel 21.2 all messed up on our WMC, not even close, lists description is for a different channel entirely.
And I had to disable half the channels that WMC comes back with on setup as they are not local to us. That never used to happen.

I found I can make my batch file run silently.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/hidden-star ... g-console/

The comment in the other thread was takes long time to get this data, but see only if you gather huge amounts of extended data that covers a long period. You can shorten the period and it will speed up. Regardless going for the extended data info only took a few minutes anyway versus a few seconds for the standard command.
I'm a 20+ year systems admin, so my system lives on batch files... And yes, hidden ones are in my list as well. My system is rock solid... even automatic reboots @ 4am on weekends to keep it fresh. It even will prompt me when it's about to reboot and can select cancel.

I posted on there, I just need to find a way to import the data correctly and test for other users...

It could be a nice way for everyone to get rid of ROVI and get WMC BACK to the way it was with Zap2it... for a very reasonable price... EPG123 seems like it can be the ticket...

Thanks for posting about this but, we should bring this to a different thread... Mods if you want to move these chats to another post, I think that would be fine with me. I don't want to take away from the OP's project that a lot of us are very excited to see !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave