WMC on Linux?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
glugglug

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Linux?

Post by glugglug » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:20 pm

It occurs to me that the Windows 7 version of media center is using .NET framework 2.0, which is nowadays supported well by WINE.
Anyone know if it has equivalents of the various Windows NT services needed? Or if OCUR drivers are user mode, since the tuner basically appears like a network device?

Getting it to run on Linux would be even better than in Win10, on several levels. Not the least if which is avoiding future breakages by Microsoft.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:47 pm

glugglug wrote:It occurs to me that the Windows 7 version of media center is using .NET framework 2.0, which is nowadays supported well by WINE.
Anyone know if it has equivalents of the various Windows NT services needed? Or if OCUR drivers are user mode, since the tuner basically appears like a network device?

Getting it to run on Linux would be even better than in Win10, on several levels. Not the least if which is avoiding future breakages by Microsoft.
Hmm.. Sounds like a fun project for you!

My question is, as always, will it be able to use a protected playback chain to satisfy CCI protection?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:48 pm

glugglug wrote:It occurs to me that the Windows 7 version of media center is using .NET framework 2.0, which is nowadays supported well by WINE.

The level of complex for a project like this is beyond what could be done. Media Center depends on so many parts of Windows. You would almost have to build a Windows version of Linux to get it work. Even of then you deal with the DRM protection level and that alone I don't think it's possible to get running.

Your better off building a Myth TV version that is EXACTLY like WMC in every aspect. I think in the long run, this would be the easier method but, dam I would not want to touch this project.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:50 pm

glugglug, give Silicondust a call. Looks like they need a hand.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123