Help needed with Live TV Set-Up

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
shavid0610

HTPC Specs: Show details

Help needed with Live TV Set-Up

Post by shavid0610 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:36 am

Hi

I am hoping somone can help.

Being a long term user of WMC I am not prepared to give it up after finaly upgrading to Windows 10 (didn't want to miss the free upgrade)

I have used the hack file from Life Hacker and it installs fine and runs my Emby plug-in fine

However, I cannot get the Live TV Installation to work. If I go through Settings the program crashes. If I use the Live Tv Set-Up next to the Recorded TV in the menu list it takes ages to download nothing, gets to the end and says it failed and to try again.

I am running a Compro Video Mate E750 capture card

Any assistance would be appreciated before I just give up and roll back to Win 7

Thank You

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:46 pm

shavid0610 wrote:
I have used the hack file from Life Hacker and it installs fine and runs my Emby plug-in fine

However, I cannot get the Live TV Installation to work.
Uninstall v2.1

I normally reset Win10 to repair the damage to the OS. Others have used SFC Scannow and a couple other utilitys.

install the latest version v12

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1253128
Attachments
WMC_Versions.JPG

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Good luck to ya! I am betting a lot of people will be visiting this site in the coming days. :-)

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:54 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
shavid0610 wrote:

Uninstall v2.1

I normally reset Win10 to repair the damage to the OS. Others have used SFC Scannow and a couple other utilitys.

Where do I download the V12 from?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Go to the first page on the MDL link that was provided. It will direct you to the post with the latest download
shavid0610 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:
shavid0610 wrote:

Uninstall v2.1

Where do I download the V12 from?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:21 am

Read the first 30-40 pages and you will see the link.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:05 am

shavid0610 wrote: Where do I download the V12 from?
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602

My step by step installation report in case it can help
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1232935

And as Crash mentioned, DO read the first 30 / 40 pages to get a global understanding!

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:16 am

scrambler wrote:
shavid0610 wrote: Where do I download the V12 from?
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602

My step by step installation report in case it can help
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1232935

And as Crash mentioned, DO read the first 30 / 40 pages to get a global understanding!
I've read the first 50 pages now and I just feel dumb...

I didn't understand most of what I read and didn't see a link to V12 to download and install. Or is there a long process of steps I need to do and files I need to download?

The reason I love WMC is its simplicity to set up and use but trying to navigate the process to get it working on Windows 10 is hurting my brain.

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:29 am

Have you read my install thread summary?
The download is at the first link I gave you. That post has both the 64 bit and 32 install files. If you want the 64 bit, it is the first one under the Mega link.
But DO read my install summary to get the basic steps you need to follow.

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:37 am

scrambler wrote:Have you read my install thread summary?
The download is at the first link I gave you. That post has both the 64 bit and 32 install files. If you want the 64 bit, it is the first one under the Mega link.
Hi

Thank You - I have read over your thread - a lot of it went over my head - downloaded the X64 pack, have unblocked the zip file and have extracted to C:\WMC.

I have the hack installed WMC from Life Hacker so have run the uninstaller.cmd and re-booted the computer as per instructions on the readme file. However, WMC is still there. When I run the uninstaller from this pack it opens a command window and then quickly jumps to another one that says Manual uninstall cleanup.... then press any key to continue. But it doesn't uninstall the program. I ran it as administrator.

Just tried to run it from the icons left but nothing happened - so maybe it did uninstall but left the icons in the menu?

I don't want to charge ahead and muck it up. Any ideas?

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 am

Ok so I was an impatient woman and thought I'd try continuing on - with no luck

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times and when it installs the icon is there is the menu under Windows Accessories but the program won't open when I click on it. The little circle goes around a couple of times, then nothing.

This is so frustrating

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:44 pm

shavid0610 wrote:
Hi

Thank You - I have read over your thread - a lot of it went over my head - downloaded the X64 pack, have unblocked the zip file and have extracted to C:\WMC.

I have the hack installed WMC from Life Hacker so have run the uninstaller.cmd and re-booted the computer as per instructions on the readme file. However, WMC is still there. When I run the uninstaller from this pack it opens a command window and then quickly jumps to another one that says Manual uninstall cleanup.... then press any key to continue. But it doesn't uninstall the program. I ran it as adninistrator.
You need to run TestRights as administrator then in the 2nd window that TestRights opens for you type..... "C:\WMC\WMC64\Uninstaller.cmd"

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:14 am

Crash2009 wrote:
shavid0610 wrote:
Hi

I have the hack installed WMC from Life Hacker so have run the uninstaller.cmd and re-booted the computer as per instructions on the readme file. However, WMC is still there. When I run the uninstaller from this pack it opens a command window and then quickly jumps to another one that says Manual uninstall cleanup.... then press any key to continue. But it doesn't uninstall the program. I ran it as adninistrator.
You need to run TestRights as administrator then in the 2nd window that TestRights opens for you type..... "C:\WMC\WMC64\Uninstaller.cmd"
Ooh - I was running the uninstall, then after re-booting I ran the Test rights then closed the second command window it opened and then ran the installer. All as administrator.

The instructions say to run the uninstall first if you have upgraded from Win 7 with WMC on it?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:59 pm

TestRights is a Super-Elevated Command Prompt. Google it! TestRights can do things that a plain old Elevated Command Prompt cannot do. Like I said previously, I have been unable to repair the damage to the OS caused by WMC v2.1 I have always found it easier to Reset Win10. Others have used...

Code: Select all

sfc /SCANNOW
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Either way you need to repair Win10 PRIOR TO...trying v12 again

All these suggestions are in two files that you all ready have. Readme.txt and Workaround.txt are in your WMC64 folder.

If you are unable to find them, here they are printed for you to read.

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:21 am

Crash2009 wrote:TestRights is a Super-Elevated Command Prompt. Google it! TestRights can do things that a plain old Elevated Command Prompt cannot do. Like I said previously, I have been unable to repair the damage to the OS caused by WMC v2.1 I have always found it easier to Reset Win10. Others have used...

Code: Select all

sfc /SCANNOW
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Either way you need to repair Win10 PRIOR TO...trying v12 again

All these suggestions are in two files that you all ready have. Readme.txt and Workaround.txt are in your WMC64 folder.

If you are unable to find them, here they are printed for you to read.

OK I am about to give up

I had printed the instructions before I started the first time and followed them step by step. Nothing.

I have now reverted back to Windows 7 then upgraded to 10 again. Have run the uninstall in the higher command prompt as you recommended. Have re-booted.

Then I wasn't sure what to do in relation to the scannow and the other 2 as the instructions say that some errors may pop up but they can be ignored and lists these 3 things as the errors?

Reading your thread I guessed that maybe I was supposed to type these 3 lines into the elevated command prompt, so I did. Let it do its thing for ages and it said there were no problems.

Re-booted again just to be sure then ran the test cmd again as admin then the installer as admin.

WMC has installed and is located in Windows Accessories as it should be but when I click on it to run it the little circle goes for a few seconds then stops and the program doesn't open.

I just can't see what I might be doing wrong as I followed the instructions exactly and received no integrity errors or anything while it installed. It just won't open.

Anyone have any ideas in simple english step by step? Or do I just give up and go back to Windows 7?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:12 pm

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:21 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Give this one a try.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 58#p100858

Ah thank you for a simple fix, got wmc running.

Did the set-up from scratch but tv reception is pixelated on all channels. Always had good reception through wmc before.

Any ideas?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:49 pm

Re-install the tuner driver, and if it has a BDA section, select WMC as the DVR.

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Re-install the tuner driver, and if it has a BDA section, select WMC as the DVR.
Thank you again. That worked and the channels are no longer pixelated. There is however a slight jitter every 5 seconds or so. This also happens on the screen when just in the menu screen.

I tbought I saw something about refresh rates in the mdl forum but after scanning through the last 50 pages or so I couldn't see it. Not sure If this is the issue or not. Couldn't see any discussion on this issue in the pages I read.

Do you have 1 more piece of wisdom for me?

Sharon

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:29 pm

shavid0610 wrote: a slight jitter every 5 seconds or so. Do you have 1 more piece of wisdom for me?
What video adapter do you have, and what driver are you using? The link below will show you how to find that.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 97#p109097
Attachments
DisplayAdapter001.jpg