Windows 10 Media Center Cable Card?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
williaml99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 10 Media Center Cable Card?

Post by williaml99 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:15 pm

I am currently using Media Center on my W10 Desktop as per the popular hack. I am a long time WMC user but never used a cable card. Want to get plan with Mediacom Burlington IA for Fox Sports Midwest. Just doing local HD QAM and OTA with HD Homerun tuner now. Almost pushed button on TIVO Bolt but I'm cheap. What do you think my chances are getting this to work. Also, what tuner would you recommend if you think possible. I fear it will be hard enough to get support for cable card for TIVO let alone WMC.

Thanks
Bill

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:30 pm

williaml99 wrote:I am currently using Media Center on my W10 Desktop as per the popular hack. I am a long time WMC user but never used a cable card. Want to get plan with Mediacom Burlington IA for Fox Sports Midwest. Just doing local HD QAM and OTA with HD Homerun tuner now. Almost pushed button on TIVO Bolt but I'm cheap. What do you think my chances are getting this to work. Also, what tuner would you recommend if you think possible. I fear it will be hard enough to get support for cable card for TIVO let alone WMC.

Thanks
Bill
Ceton or HDR tuners seem to work fine on Windows 10.... I personally use a Ceton Infintv 6 PCI-e card with no problems on Windows 10 using the 8.1 driver.

Just make sure you are using the v12 version and do some reading, this has been answered tons of times now. Cablecard does work, Extenders do work with a add-on hack (do not work out of the box). Extenders mean 360's only, 3rd party extenders do not work under 8.1 or 10 at this point.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:02 pm

williaml99 wrote:I am currently using Media Center on my W10 Desktop as per the popular hack.
What is the complete file name of the popular hack you used? There are around 10-20 versions and depending on which one you used, the un-install instructions may be different.

Might be best to post in the forum where all these versions originated.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1026727

williaml99

Post by williaml99 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:34 pm

Thanks everyone, I should be good for now. I will have to try first with a HomeRun Prime. I will let you know if I have any luck Friday.

williaml99

Post by williaml99 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:46 pm

As a final followup, the card supplied by Mediacom worked good in Burlington Iowa. Home Run Prime WMC setup went smooth.

rnwells

Post by rnwells » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:51 pm

I have the same problem. I am running Windows 10 Pro with a Silicon Dust tuner and a Cox cable card. WMC worked well under Windows 8.1.
I upgraded to Windows 10 and followed instructions to install WMC. WMC installed and I went through WMC setup and had
Cox pair the cable card. I ran Play Ready. I have a guide and each channel lists the Silicon tuners as a source. Every channel
I try says no TV signal available. I can view Live TV with HDHomeRun View and Kodi with good video and sound. WMC setup
found all the channels and lists the tuner as a source but cannot view them. Suggestions?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:53 am

rnwells wrote:I have the same problem. I am running Windows 10 Pro with a Silicon Dust tuner and a Cox cable card. WMC worked well under Windows 8.1.
I upgraded to Windows 10 and followed instructions to install WMC. WMC installed and I went through WMC setup and had
Cox pair the cable card. I ran Play Ready. I have a guide and each channel lists the Silicon tuners as a source. Every channel
I try says no TV signal available. I can view Live TV with HDHomeRun View and Kodi with good video and sound. WMC setup
found all the channels and lists the tuner as a source but cannot view them. Suggestions?
http://www.silicondust.com/support/troubleshooting/

http://www.silicondust.com/support/trou ... l-channels

rnwells

Post by rnwells » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:17 am

Thank you. The fix was allowing ehrecvr firewall access.