Upgrade from Win8.1 failed - .NET exception on launch

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
harakan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrade from Win8.1 failed - .NET exception on launch

Post by harakan2 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:32 pm

I'm trying to upgrade my existing Win8.1 Media Center to Windows 10, doing an in-place upgrade of the OS (using a 22H2 install USB created using the Media Creator Tool) and then installing Gary's WMC MSI package (8.9.0). The MSI appears to have installed successfully, but attempting to run WMC fails - it shows a very brief busy icon, then the "ehshell.exe" process terminates. The application log shows a .NET exception as below. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the MSI, with the same results.

Is an upgrade from Win8.1 expected to work, is it fundamentally a bad idea, or are there extra steps that need to be performed for this compared to a clean install of Win10?

Massive thanks to everyone in the community for all their efforts to keep WMC working after MS cruelly abandoned such a well-loved product - I've been using it since 2005, and really don't want to have to find an alternative solution!

Application: ehshell.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.SqlLiteErr.LogAndThrowException(Int32, System.String, System.Object[])
at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStore.Open(System.String)
at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStoreManager.Open(System.String, Boolean)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean)

Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, Boolean)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.AddObjectStoreReference()
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.get_DefaultSingleton()
at ServiceBus.UIFramework.UserControlPoint.Launch(System.String)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:53 pm

I never tried the install in this scenario. I suppose it is possible that this is tricking the msi into thinking the OS is still 8.1 and then does not apply the sql fixes for Win10.

You could uninstall the msi, find the install for 8.8.5 and install that. If it works, then that is probably the problem. You can keep 8.8.5, or if you want the msi instead, you will need to uninstall 8.8.5, reboot, and then install the msi again. I think it should be okay after that.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:14 am

Agree this seems like SQLITE is missing.

WMC Multi Tool would fix that easily.

If only some kind person would host it somewhere.

harakan2

Post by harakan2 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:40 pm

Thanks to both for the suggestions. I'll do some more investigation when I have a bit more time at the weekend; I guessed it might not go smoothly, so copied my system drive in advance to allow me to switch back to my Win8.1 install until I can get it working.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:44 pm

technodevotee wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:14 amIf only some kind person would host it somewhere.
I have space available in my "Third Party Programs" folder on Mega. I intend to keep that account (supposedly) forever.

https://mega.nz/folder/2k0WXI5b#hEvTsif-W8oOfIcDeQNCLA

Let me know...

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:19 pm

Thanks @StinkyImp

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:32 pm

I can't find a download link for any of the "old" WMC versions or the Multi Tool in order to upload them to my repository. Are they located somewhere anyone can grab them or can I request them from a kind individual? :D

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:38 pm

WMC Multi Tool can be downloaded from the Mega link above.

Thanks technodevotee!

harakan2

Post by harakan2 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Unfortunately the "WMC Multi Tool" didn't seem to fix the issue, even after trying all of the obviously-relevant options. I decided to do a completely clean install of Win10 21H2, and the MSI package installed successfully on that and WMC starts correctly now - I've gone through the TV setup and imported my old configuration and recording schedule via EPG123, so the essentials are working. I have seen one weird issue with my WMC remote, but I'll raise that as a separate thread for clarity.

Thanks again for the suggestions.