WMC on Windows 10 not working since windows update

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
richiegregson

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Windows 10 not working since windows update

Post by richiegregson » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:04 am

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. Since the Windows 10 update on the 16th of March 2021, WMC 8.8.4 will not start for me. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times. When I click on the WMC icon, the activity wheel pops up twice and then closes but WMC does not open.
I've had a look in services.msc and the two WMC processes were stopped and I manually started them but this hasn't helped. I ran the fixreg script too.
Any pointers would be much appreciated before I end up reinstalling Windows from scratch.
Rich.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:42 am

You need 8.8.5 with latest version of Windows 10 because they removed SQLLite which stops WMC running.

Recommend downloading it from here: https://mega.nz/file/GKQx3aTB#1PY2AgBQh ... Sc5b2G1XhE then
uninstalling 8.8.4 and installing the latest version.

Remember to expand it to somewhere with a short path without spaces e.g., c:\utils.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:14 pm

technodevotee wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:42 am...latest version of Windows 10 because they removed SQLLite which stops WMC running...
Seems like Microsoft is beginning to aggressively remove (and keep down) software they don't like. I wonder how long it will be before they start forcefully removing anything WMC related?

richiegregson

Post by richiegregson » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 pm

:D
Worked perfectly, thank you

fulaingt

Post by fulaingt » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 am

Wow, what a pita, rather than having to uninstall it and reinstall it, is there a way to just reinstall or re register sqllite ??

I've already done the deed, but now have to rescan and reorder all the bits, which is a massive pain.. Thanks M$...

And to think I did the update on purpose to get windows to quit hassling me every day...

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:07 pm

fulaingt wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 amAnd to think I did the update on purpose to get windows to quit hassling me every day...
Have a look at this post.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:57 pm

fulaingt wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 am Wow, what a pita, rather than having to uninstall it and reinstall it, is there a way to just reinstall or re register sqllite ??

I've already done the deed, but now have to rescan and reorder all the bits, which is a massive pain.. Thanks M$...

And to think I did the update on purpose to get windows to quit hassling me every day...
It isn't just MSSQLLite they remove -they also remove ENCDEC and they replace MSVidCtl and CPFilters with new versions and remove or update the registry entries for all of those.

As if that wasn't enough, they remove the services, assemblies and most of the registry entries associated with WMC.

I have spent more hours than I care to remember trying to find a way of putting everything back as it was without removing and reinstalling WMC but that seem to be the only sure-fire way of getting it back working after an upgrade.

If you backup the settings and database with backuprestoresettings before Windows gets updated, you can usually put everything back as it was after removing and restoring WMC by running backuprestoresettings again.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work after a major upgrade because MS sometimes change the GUIDs of the tuner cards, which means starting from scratch.

TimPrice

Post by TimPrice » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:57 pm

I had this same results updating to Win10 ver. 20H2. I updated to 8.8.5 and all, but one thing is working fine. EPG123 no longer sees MCE. In response, I cleaned off EPG123 and reinstalled it to V1.6.3.1. I still have the issue that EPG123 V1.6.3.1 will not see MCE at all to implement its stuff. Has anyone had this issue?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:21 pm

1.6.3.1 is working fine on 20H2 for me.

In fact it is working fine on

Windows 10 Pro
Version Dev
Installed on ‎15/‎04/‎2021
OS build 21359.1
Experience Windows 10 Feature Experience Pack 321.7601.0.3

as well

sajaga

Post by sajaga » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:16 pm

Thank you so much! 8.8.5 works fergectly now after 20H2 killed 8.8.4 :thumbup:

grnbrg13

Post by grnbrg13 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:56 pm

From I've seen on here there is an issue now to fix with Sql lite. What are we supposed to do exactly? I know my way around but can't figure this out. I installed 8.8.5 and saved settings it was working perfectly, then I upgraded & broken. Thanks for any help!!!

[Moderator note: topic merged]

grnbrg13

Post by grnbrg13 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:55 am

So for what ever reason 8.8.5 does not work after the upgrade, am I supposed to download sql lite? Is it built into 8.8.5? I had previously uninstalled & reinstalled cleaned everything up. & it didn't work, so I reinstalled 10 & got 8.8.5 working saved the backup, did the upgrade and it is broken again. Anyone have any ideas???

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:19 am

Every major Windows 10 upgrade removes or replaces numerous components that WMC relies on so it has been necessary to uninstall WMC (preferably after making a backup using backuprestoresttings.cmd) before the upgrade and reinstall WMC after the upgrade for while now.

WMC 8.8.5 restores everything that is needed to run the package.

grnbrg13

Post by grnbrg13 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:24 am

technodevotee wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:19 am Every major Windows 10 upgrade removes or replaces numerous components that WMC relies on so it has been necessary to uninstall WMC (preferably after making a backup using backuprestoresttings.cmd) before the upgrade and reinstall WMC after the upgrade for while now.

WMC 8.8.5 restores everything that is needed to run the package.
You da man, it's working!!!! I think I get it now, luckily I saved 2 backup settings, the first one did not work so I used the one just before the upgrade! It's the best program for navigating 14 TB of video!!! Thanks so mush again!!!

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sun May 09, 2021 7:56 pm

Did M$ change something again? :evil:

This morning Win10 performed an update and broke WMC (as usual.) This time, the MSSQL fix ("fix_MSSQLLite.cmd") didn't resolve the issue. I have 8.8.5 already installed. I extracted the 8.8.5 files to an empty folder, copied the cmd file and "bin" folder (containing a bat, reg and 4 dll's) to the extracted setup folder, ran the cmd, it reports "Done" with no errors, rebooted, tried to run WMC, but it still doesn't launch.

Did I forget to do something or did M$ break WMC again? :(

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun May 09, 2021 8:36 pm

Every major Windows 10 upgrade removes or replaces numerous components that WMC relies on so it has been necessary to uninstall WMC (preferably after making a backup using backuprestoresttings.cmd) before the upgrade and reinstall WMC after the upgrade for while now.

Fix MSSQLLite is not required with WMC 8.8.5 as it restores everything that is needed to run the package.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Mon May 10, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks, but I did that (extracted 8.8.5 to an empty folder, ran "BackupRestoreSettings.cmd", ran "Uninstaller.cmd", rebooted, ran "InstallerGREEN.cmd", ran "BackupRestoreSettings.cmd", rebooted again) launched WMC and nothing happens. Not even an error.

A check of the Event Logs, the .NetRuntime reporting the following error:

Application: ehshell.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.SqlLiteErr.LogAndThrowException(Int32, System.String, System.Object[])
at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStore.Open(System.String)
at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStoreManager.Open(System.String, Boolean)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean)

Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, Boolean)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.AddObjectStoreReference()
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.get_DefaultSingleton()
at ServiceBus.UIFramework.UserControlPoint.Launch(System.String)

TIA

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon May 10, 2021 7:10 pm

You've got me with that. I've never seen that problem with 8.8.5.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 pm

Only thing I can think of left to try is a full uninstall using a dedicated app and reinstalling.

Hopefully, the "BackupRestoreSettings.cmd" will work afterwards.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed May 12, 2021 12:17 pm

Okay, I have WMC working again. Here are the details for anyone in the future who experiences the same problem (for RE-INSTALLS ONLY.)

WHAT I DID WRONG: THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE "BackupRestoreSettings.cmd". I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it, but attempting to restore your backed up data can break WMC and you'll have to reinstall. :(

Instead, after reinstalling WMC 8.8.5 (launch WMC from the shortcut it places on your desktop. WMC should open to the initial "You need to configure WMC" screen. Perform a full config as if starting from scratch. Say No to downloading data from MS (natch) and rescan all channels.

WMC should work. Close & Reboot. DO NOT USE THE "BackupRestoreSettings.cmd".