Guide Data Running Out - Spring 2016 DST

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Sammy2

Posts: 1700
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:35 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re: Guide Data Running Out - Spring 2016 DST

#41

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Can you stream recordings or even LiveTV off site to an android or apple app with TiVo? For all but CCI content I can do this with Emby pretty well.

adam1991

Posts: 2877
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#42

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:18 pm


Embiggens

Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:29 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#43

Post by Embiggens » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:33 pm

If you're willing to spend the bux,I think it's hard to see how tivo would not be a superior experience. But WMC plus epg123 has rejuvenated my view on WMC, and I think another 2-3 years is reasonable.

dkrom

Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#44

Post by dkrom » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:52 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Scallica wrote:
dkrom wrote:Of course as I write this in the back of my mind I'm thinking "What if it isn't fixed...."
This:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... tle=EPG123
Um, no.

This:

https://www.tivo.com/

Seriously. I'm tired of continually bandaging what's turning into a hemorrhaging wound.
Oh no - the back of my mind thinking was just that if I'm wrong on the guide days - it might be fixed on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am fully confident that this is the twice yearly event that I've watched and/or commented on over the last few DST changeovers.

For all those who are getting the urge to click "Buy Now" on a TiVo or switch to something else, HOLD OFF - it will get fixed before you run out of data on Friday.
I've been watching EPG123 and have been tempted to try it out just to get the correct show pictures, but I'm not one for any kind of fees if I can get something that works for free (Rovi works, not great, but it works).

That being said - I'll never buy a TiVo... Buying a lifetime box is outrageously expensive and I would never pay a $15 monthly fee. If the guide ever does break it'll be EPG123 with the $20 yearly SD fee, or Kodi.

Octavean

Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#45

Post by Octavean » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:56 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Scallica wrote:
dkrom wrote:Of course as I write this in the back of my mind I'm thinking "What if it isn't fixed...."
This:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... tle=EPG123
Um, no.

This:

https://www.tivo.com/

Seriously. I'm tired of continually bandaging what's turning into a hemorrhaging wound.
I think I might be game for buying a TiVo Bolt,....


~$300 to start is a lot but it depends on how many years of use I can get out of it. Still I don't want to be on the hook paying TiVo subscriptions. TiVo has an option to pay more up front with a lifetime subscription to avoid the annual nickel and dime fee so that might be more palatable

Edit:

I do find it hard to leave Media Center though. I've used every version of Media Center publicly released basically since its first release. Thats got to be something like ~14 years or so.

adam1991

Posts: 2877
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#46

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:21 pm

I just discovered that Tablo has a 4 tuner model.

And every one of my TVs either is or has Roku, and Tablo has a Roku channel.

And lifetime guide service is $150. That would be $450 total.

That someone came up with that model, to utilize the streaming boxes/mechanisms that we already use, is good.

Alas, all the 4 tuner Tablos are sold out...

Space

Posts: 2104
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#47

Post by Space » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:25 pm

dkrom wrote:...
If the guide ever does break it'll be EPG123 with the $20 yearly SD fee, or Kodi.
$25 per year, but I'm with you, if the day comes when Microsoft discontinues service, Schedules Direct with EPG123 is my go-to resolution.

Now, for this particular problem, if it is not fixed by the time guide data runs out, I will have to set up manual records for all the shows I record. I keep track of all the series I record with zap2it (set them as favorites) and it is fairly simple to get a list of all your favorite shows airing for the week. I don't record much, if anything, on Fridays and Saturdays, so unless it stretches out to Sunday I shouldn't have much work to do. Some of the existing data is lacking, so I'll have to make sure it is recording all my series even before the data runs out (I am good until Wednesday night, where it starts missing some shows).

I don't expect this to happen, I expect it to be fixed before data runs out, but no feedback from Microsoft has me worried this time...

Octavean

Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#48

Post by Octavean » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Space wrote:
dkrom wrote:...
If the guide ever does break it'll be EPG123 with the $20 yearly SD fee, or Kodi.
$25 per year, but I'm with you, if the day comes when Microsoft discontinues service, Schedules Direct with EPG123 is my go-to resolution.

Now, for this particular problem, if it is not fixed by the time guide data runs out, I will have to set up manual records for all the shows I record. I keep track of all the series I record with zap2it (set them as favorites) and it is fairly simple to get a list of all your favorite shows airing for the week. I don't record much, if anything, on Fridays and Saturdays, so unless it stretches out to Sunday I shouldn't have much work to do. Some of the existing data is lacking, so I'll have to make sure it is recording all my series even before the data runs out (I am good until Wednesday night, where it starts missing some shows).

I don't expect this to happen, I expect it to be fixed before data runs out, but no feedback from Microsoft has me worried this time...
I use Followshows to keep track of the shows I watch. It comes in handy when if I have to reset recordings for some reason.

KenL

Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:35 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#49

Post by KenL » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 pm

fzy8gc wrote:
Scallica wrote:
dkrom wrote:Of course as I write this in the back of my mind I'm thinking "What if it isn't fixed...."
This:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... tle=EPG123
I use a Colossus card to control a Dish Network 211K set top box. Hauppauge provides drivers for WMC 7. Will EPG123 get Dish Network guide information? Is there a different process to use the Colossus card?
Most definitely. EPG123 provides the Dish Network/Cable/OTA listings from the Zap2it glory days. The Colossus setup may be (slightly) different but I got it working. The line-up selector utility currently used with EPG123 does find the Hauppauge Colossus MC software scanned channels then it's just a matter of unselecting the unused blocks of channels en masse using Guide Tool. And of course a minimal bit of manual cleanup like always.

Importantly the EPG123 Gracenote listings most likely cure the vexing Colossus blaster +1 problem sporadic since the cutover. I'm not blasting again yet since I'm still testing using my ViP722 (been setting parallel auto tunes instead) but if it does cure the blaster problem let us know.

EPG123 + Schedules Direct seems to be a miracle fix for most of the Rovi induced issues.

RonBo

Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:57 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#50

Post by RonBo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:05 pm

Mine has been gone for a week already! I can't get EPG123 to work either..This is bad!

webminster

Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#51

Post by webminster » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Perhaps a post in the EPG123 subforum with more details might help.
-Alan

Space

Posts: 2104
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#52

Post by Space » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Octavean wrote:
Space wrote:...
I keep track of all the series I record with zap2it (set them as favorites) and it is fairly simple to get a list of all your favorite shows airing for the week.
...
I use Followshows to keep track of the shows I watch. It comes in handy when if I have to reset recordings for some reason.
I just checked out that website, I can't find a way to have it just list out the weeks schedule with all NEW episodes clearly identifiable. I put in "The Simpsons" and it lists dozens of episodes in the queue.

(Note that you must have an account on zap2it in order for the below links to work, also pick a provider and lineup and select your favorite channels)

With zap2it, I just add all my series to "My faves":

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/my-faves?aid=zap2it

And then I can get a list of all the airings for the week, with the NEW episodes clearly marked (select "show only my favorite channels" to only show the channels you have selected from your lineup to make the output only show channels you actually watch/record from):

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... aid=zap2it

I use this every week to verify the Rovi data against the zap2it data so as to not miss any recordings.

berwickl

Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:00 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#53

Post by berwickl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:57 pm

8:00 PM on Monday in Georgia... Guide still ends on March 19th.

User avatar
Crash2009

Posts: 4357
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 12:38 am
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

HTPC Specs: Show details

#54

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:27 am

You guys been awful quiet for the last couple hours, EPG must be working.

Nope. Still March 18 in 48103

User avatar
Skybolt

Posts: 124
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 7:21 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD

HTPC Specs: Show details

#55

Post by Skybolt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:16 am

Crash2009 wrote:You guys been awful quiet for the last couple hours, EPG must be working.

Nope. Still March 18 in 48103
Nope, just the opposite. I tried to get the epg123 guide working and the only thing I was able to do was order a new Tivo setup. Good luck guys on this guide thing I'm throwing in the towel after many many years with WMC.

A word of caution when setting up the epg123, it doesn't work on every setup and can wipe you to the point where you must re-install WMC to get it working. Others may say differently, but before you say - he doesn't understand what he's doing, read my bio. Good luck with this one, it looks like a lot of work went into this and should be real nice for some.

webminster

Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#56

Post by webminster » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:23 am

Betting lot of us would like to hear the story of what happened so badly.
-Alan

rkulagow

Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:04 am
Location: Schedules Direct

HTPC Specs: Show details

#57

Post by rkulagow » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:32 am

Skybolt wrote: Nope, just the opposite. I tried to get the epg123 guide working and the only thing I was able to do was order a new Tivo setup. Good luck guys on this guide thing I'm throwing in the towel after many many years with WMC.

A word of caution when setting up the epg123, it doesn't work on every setup and can wipe you to the point where you must re-install WMC to get it working. Others may say differently, but before you say - he doesn't understand what he's doing, read my bio. Good luck with this one, it looks like a lot of work went into this and should be real nice for some.
I think you need to be fair to @garyan2; his software is what, less than a month old? And for a lot of people, it works better than what they're getting from Rovi / Microsoft.

Microsoft has had _years_ to get this right, and people are still having issues with the EPG when it was sourced from Gracenote, and now when it's sourced from Rovi - and Microsoft has the source code! garyan2 is working off of a Microsoft API that has plenty of things which may not be completely documented, or are documented and don't actually work that way.

User avatar
Scallica

Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: USA!

HTPC Specs: Show details

#58

Post by Scallica » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:35 am

Skybolt wrote: A word of caution when setting up the epg123, it doesn't work on every setup and can wipe you to the point where you must re-install WMC to get it working. Others may say differently, but before you say - he doesn't understand what he's doing, read my bio. Good luck with this one, it looks like a lot of work went into this and should be real nice for some.
If you don't mind, would you please start a new thread in the EPG123 subforum and provide more details. I'm interested to know what when wrong.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

User avatar
Ladislaus

Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:52 pm
Location: NJ

HTPC Specs: Show details

#59

Post by Ladislaus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:41 am

Do any of the veterans here have any contacts at Microsoft (or know someone who does)?

If you haven't done so, please let those folks know that our guide data is about to expire.

:(

Octavean

Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:50 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#60

Post by Octavean » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:00 am

I feel like I have to get something done by tomorrow. I think it unwise to wait longer then that.

I will likely try EPG123 on one of my two systems and try the still as of yet in beta SiliconDust HDHomeRun DVR. If I get another CableCard from my provider I can free up my HDHomeRun Prime for exclusive use with the HDHomeRun DVR software. If I still don't have a reasonably viable solution after that then I can try the TiVo Bolt.

Post Reply