Guide Slow To Load First Time - Solved

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
JackDB

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Slow To Load First Time - Solved

Post by JackDB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 pm

For quite some time I have been battling the slow Guide issue. Essentially, anytime I exited WMC, and restarted the guide would take 45 seconds to a minute to load. This would also happen first thing in the morning, or whenever I would go to use WMC for the first time after it set unused for several hours. I really have tried so many different fixes to no avail. Finally after googling around I stumbled onto an old thread in a Silicon Dust forum that was talking about the same issue I was having. Somebody said when they unplugged their wireless mouse dongle the problem went away... So, I unplugged my wireless mouse/keyboard dongle (Dell Brand), and low, and behold my guide issue went away completely, and has not returned. Guide is much faster as well. Go figure? Anyhow I just wanted to document this fix here in case others were struggling with this issue. As an experiment I plugged the dongle back in, and the issue has not returned so far. I honestly don't understand what changed, but I am very happy to have my guide running smooth, and fast!

Jack

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:40 pm

Strange, I have the same problem with the guide being slow at seemingly random times. I have never hooked up a wireless mouse to the machine. I do have a wired mouse that I occasionally hook up to it, but it is usually disconnected.

Do you have a link to the thread you read over on SD forums? I am curious as to why disconnecting a wireless mouse would have any effect on this.

Thanks

EDIT: Found similar solution here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... f64?auth=1

JackDB

Post by JackDB » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Yes, this was the link I found at SD. Thanks for finding, and posting the link. So far the guide is flawless. I have the wireless mouse, and keyboard plugged back in. I wonder if the remote control dongle, and the wireless mouse/keyboard dongle being both on USB could conflict somehow?

mms1967

Post by mms1967 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:29 am

Amazing - this worked! I have a Logitech blue-tooth keyboard/touchpad hooked up. Removed the dongle, and it's super fast now! We have been struggling with this for several months, you are a life-saver!

What in the world is the relationship here between the guide and a bluetooth dongle?!

TimMcG

Post by TimMcG » Fri May 20, 2016 1:47 am

I was having the same problem, and removing the Bluetooth dongle did help, but was a pain since I use the Bluetooth mouse and Keyboard.
I have Verizon FIOS, and WMC downloads and imports a very large guide, even if I have channels deselected.
I was having a separate issue with the guide and changed to EPG123 (which is excellent, btw) and this only downloads the channels that I actively use (maybe 50 total) and the guide is now very fast (even on first load).

Hope that helps.

footballerccs

Post by footballerccs » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:23 pm

I find that this extra delay happens A.) when I haven't used it for some time and B.) after a computer restart.

This fix of simply unplugging and plugging back in the wireless KBM fixes it entirely or just until your next A. or B. from above?

I swear I've unplugged my dongle and plugged it back in and the delayed guide still persists.