Saturday 9/26 College Game Day

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
BilldozerVT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by BilldozerVT » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:58 am

This worked great! I followed the steps, ran the task, once complete I launched WMC. It gave me a message saying it needed it download the guide again. I let it download and everything was correct.

THANK YOU!!!

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:12 am

BilldozerVT wrote:This worked great! I followed the steps, ran the task, once complete I launched WMC. It gave me a message saying it needed it download the guide again. I let it download and everything was correct.

THANK YOU!!!
np.

U test how fast the Guide scrolls now, like butter?

:D

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Some questions:
Does this need to be done repeatedly. i.e. each week to get the updated game info. or will doing it once ensure future weeks will fill in properly? Also, does the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask have other side-effects like messing up existing scheduled recordings? Finally, This wasn't necessary before with pre-Rovi data. has anyone filed a problem report on the Microsoft connect site about this problem? Thanks for any answers.

CFC

Post by CFC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:19 pm

stuartm wrote:Some questions:
Does this need to be done repeatedly. i.e. each week to get the updated game info. or will doing it once ensure future weeks will fill in properly? Also, does the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask have other side-effects like messing up existing scheduled recordings? Finally, This wasn't necessary before with pre-Rovi data. has anyone filed a problem report on the Microsoft connect site about this problem? Thanks for any answers.
So far yes, I've had to do it routinely to get a truly updated guide.
It can affect recordings, depending on how you've set them up - new/repeat, strict time, channel etc... You also lose playback history, meaning if you were in the middle of a movie, it won't resume, it'll reset back to the beginning.
This is probably the most frustrating problem I've had with this update. The guide doesn't pull new information that obviously is available, since the "ObjectStoreRecoveryTask" does that for us.
It's the reason why we get generic description on talk shows, and keep getting "Teams To Be Announced" on games.
I hope it's been reported, don't know.

CFC

Ylinen

Post by Ylinen » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:17 pm

I did the "B" process and now can not access a guide to download. Have tried other zip codes no joy. I would be careful with resetting your media center.

paulsaz@gmail.com

Post by paulsaz@gmail.com » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:43 am

Ylinen wrote:I did the "B" process and now can not access a guide to download. Have tried other zip codes no joy. I would be careful with resetting your media center.
Same with me. Did the B only, WMC asked to resetup TV Tuners, and now no guide data at all.

azmc

Post by azmc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:35 am

paulsaz@gmail.com wrote:
Ylinen wrote:I did the "B" process and now can not access a guide to download. Have tried other zip codes no joy. I would be careful with resetting your media center.
Same with me. Did the B only, WMC asked to resetup TV Tuners, and now no guide data at all.

Ditto. Was able to run a System Restore and was able to get back to where I was before B.

paulsaz@gmail.com

Post by paulsaz@gmail.com » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:50 am

System restore rescued me also.

Haba

Post by Haba » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 pm

CFC wrote:
stuartm wrote:Some questions:
So far yes, I've had to do it routinely to get a truly updated guide.
It can affect recordings, depending on how you've set them up - new/repeat, strict time, channel etc... You also lose playback history, meaning if you were in the middle of a movie, it won't resume, it'll reset back to the beginning.
This is probably the most frustrating problem I've had with this update. The guide doesn't pull new information that obviously is available, since the "ObjectStoreRecoveryTask" does that for us.
It's the reason why we get generic description on talk shows, and keep getting "Teams To Be Announced" on games.
I hope it's been reported, don't know.

CFC
I also ran ObjectStoreRecoveryTask with success. I am considering automating this task. Can you point me to any other info about the negative effects of doing so?

tigrao

Post by tigrao » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Haba wrote:
CFC wrote:I also ran ObjectStoreRecoveryTask with success. I am considering automating this task. Can you point me to any other info about the negative effects of doing so?
I noticed that every time you run the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, it rebuilds your WMC database. I now have multiple mpeg3-* folders and databases in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome. Each database file is 200 MB, so this method will quickly fill up your system if you are running it often. Be aware of this side affect.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm receiving generic "teams TBA" on college games info in EPG. Wish this would get fix soon. Not a issue for the Pac12 network on west coast but see it on the large networks (ABC, CBS, ESPN, etc.)

thumperyz69

Post by thumperyz69 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Another weekend of "Teams to announced" on the guide.... :evil:

Anyone heard of any way to solve this???

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:41 pm

I feel your pain. I have to run the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask. Every thing is fine until next Saturday. Make sure that WMC is closed before running the task from Task Manager. Wait a few minutes, then open WMC. You'll get a message that the guide is being downloaded.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:52 pm

thumperyz69 wrote:Another weekend of "Teams to announced" on the guide.... :evil:

Anyone heard of any way to solve this???
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 422#p97422

^^ be sure to only do step B only. And wait more than 4 minuets not just two minuets. (mine takes close to five minuets.) i'll try and post SS's but for now realize it has fixed the problem of TBA for College games for me, for three weeks now. All games show who is playing. :)

disclaimer-wise, have a full back-up 1st!

Plus the EPG will run very smooth, much smoother, for all other operations too. ;)

GL :)

William_Cannon

Post by William_Cannon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:15 pm

tigrao wrote:
Haba wrote:
CFC wrote:I also ran ObjectStoreRecoveryTask with success. I am considering automating this task. Can you point me to any other info about the negative effects of doing so?
I noticed that every time you run the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, it rebuilds your WMC database. I now have multiple mpeg3-* folders and databases in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome. Each database file is 200 MB, so this method will quickly fill up your system if you are running it often. Be aware of this side affect.
Can you delete the old databases?

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:58 pm

William_Cannon wrote: Can you delete the old databases?
i didn't realize i did too until just a few minuets ago.

I have:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-0, mcepg2-1, mcepg2-2, mcepg2-3, mcepg2-4, mcepg2-5, mcepg2-6, mcepg2-7, mcepg2-8, and mcepg2-9

I think "mcepg2-0" is default. But if any others get created like my most recent is the "mcepg2-9", then it probably becomes default.

But also note that "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\EpgListings" will also have multiple folders too. I have "EpgListings", "EpgListings-1", "EpgListings-2", "EpgListings-3", "EpgListings-4" and "EpgListings-5".

Note: as far as disk space wasted, all my "mcepg2-x" folders add up to 370 MB. The oldest (mcepg2-0) is 21 MB and newest (mcepg2-9) is 378 MB. And my "EpgListings" folders add up to 367 MB. The oldest (EpgListing) is 82 MB and newest (EpgListing-5) is 63.0 MB.
So there's a total of about 600 MB wasted disk space.

Placing newest data into default folders and deleting the rest should work. but i'm no WMC expert so if there is one pplz help/ advise ty. :)

William_Cannon

Post by William_Cannon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:33 am

I guess people are just dealing with the issue?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:48 pm

Sigh. Yet again most of the college games tomorrow are still TBA. Time for task manager again. Not too many weeks left for this season. Maybe next year. You'd think they could do something about this.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:29 pm

mldenison wrote:Sigh. Yet again most of the college games tomorrow are still TBA. Time for task manager again. Not too many weeks left for this season. Maybe next year. You'd think they could do something about this.
task scheduler?

task scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/Media Center/ObjestStoreRecovery?

remember to wait 4 or more minuets. and not just 2 min. (it's safe to check if it is done and even watch the Guide generate entries but probably wiser to keep WMC closed for more than 4 minuets.)

and i did, by the way, safely delete excess mcepg folders and EpgListing folders that are generated by running the ObjestStoreRecovery. The technique i used was renaming the folders in question. For example, if i wanted to know if it was safe to delete a folder named "mcpeg2-4". I simple renamed it 1st to "mcpeg2-4_old". Then i ran WMC to see if everything worked. After renaming all the ones i though would be safe to delete and testing WMC, i deleted them finally. :)

did all ^^ only after making a full backup.

GL :)

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:35 am

I meant task scheduler. I delete all but the latest folders with no problems noted.