UK EPG Licence Expiring

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
iankb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by iankb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:16 am

mrbarty wrote:Nevertheless, part of you must be feeling slightly peeved. :lol:
Quite the opposite. I think this break in the Microsoft guide data was a massive blessing in disguise.

The switchover to Schedules Direct data appears to be a huge improvement in the usability of series data. I doubt that you will find anybody who has switched who would consider moving back, or find anybody that won't say that they wished they had changed earlier. Of course, there are always those who prefer to put up with the inconvenience of Microsoft data, just because it's free. ;)

These breaks in Microsoft data probably coincide with the holidays of the one person at Red Bee who manages the import process. And if you happen to take your holidays around the same time (not unlikely), forget your recordings while your away. And just pray that this person isn't going on maternity leave. :lol:

For those who are still on Microsoft data, does the About box still show the data as coming from BDS? Or have Microsoft switched their supplier.
Ian

mrbarty

Post by mrbarty » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:29 am

Yes it's the usual BDS update.

My flippant remark was in truth more about my own relief from feelings of peevishness when my guide unexpectedly updated this morning. From the reports on here I would most certainly have also got myself EPG123 had I not been clinging on to XP.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:43 am

iankb wrote:These breaks in Microsoft data probably coincide with the holidays of the one person at Red Bee who manages the import process.
Probably a lot of truth in that. We get two weeks of no updates and then they came back on Monday to an inbox overflowing with guide data.
mrbarty wrote:From the reports on here I would most certainly have also got myself EPG123 had I not been clinging on to XP.
You really need to look into an upgrade to Win7. At least then you would have an alternative option for the next time MS drop the ball.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

iankb

Post by iankb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:57 am

And it isn't just the quality of the source data. It's obvious that the import process at Red Bee is crude and manual. However, the EPG123 process is sophisticated and automated. The difference in quality and dependibility is obvious.
Ian

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:01 pm

BDS
TV listings provided by Broadcasting Dataservices Ltd

ID: 5
Version: 2937899093
© 2016 Microsoft...
Etc...
End Date: 04/08/2016 18:00:00

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:09 pm

The reason to change will be obvious once you commit to doing it.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:44 pm

STC wrote:The reason to change will be obvious once you commit to doing it.
Why would I want to rush to upgrade my coal powered steam engine of a recording system, given that it is a secondary system only. For BBC TV I use iplayer. For satellite channels I use a Sky TV Sky+ receiver/recorder and for DTT I use a Panasonic HDMI Freeview HDD receiver/recorder that uses the extended over the air DTT guide.

Dumping the existing coal powered steam engine of a recording system means spending more of my time getting a "new" OS and new software on an old PC. Time that I don't have at the moment.

Microsoft's Mediacenter has never been that reliable (the XP versions in the early years would happily crash and record only one or two days worth of programmes during my one or two week holidays, I had to use a third party "standby" tool to allow the computer to go to standby, to enable a longer useful "run time". True, it got better. But it took far to long for a system that is suppose to run 24/7.

So it's not really a surprise that now it is not being pushed by Microsoft anymore, it's becoming less reliable once again (only for a different reason).

iankb

Post by iankb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:54 pm

I think that EPG123 has given me the confidence to abandon contemplating a move away from Media Center in the near future.

Therefore, I have ordered a spare Xbox 360 to backup my two existing extenders; a move that I've been putting off for a while.
Ian

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:29 pm

1024MAK my comparison was for Windows 7 and 8 users. If you're still using XP then please ignore my comments. You have an OS upgrade to consider before the EPG provider change.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:23 pm

1024MAK wrote:Microsoft's Mediacenter has never been that reliable (the XP versions in the early years would happily crash and record only one or two days worth of programmes during my one or two week holidays, I had to use a third party "standby" tool to allow the computer to go to standby, to enable a longer useful "run time". True, it got better. But it took far to long for a system that is suppose to run 24/7.
I only used the XP version briefly before upgrading to Vista, 7 then 8. I have found the 7/8 version to be rock solid. My system runs a quad tuner 24/7. The only thing unreliable is the MS EPG; which we now have a solution for. Still beats any of the other PVR solutions.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Microsoft's Mediacenter has never been that reliable (the XP versions in the early years would happily crash and record only one or two days worth of programmes during my one or two week holidays, I had to use a third party "standby" tool to allow the computer to go to standby, to enable a longer useful "run time". True, it got better. But it took far to long for a system that is suppose to run 24/7.
I used to run MCE 2005 aka. XP well in to the Windows 7 era myself. I did regularly have MCE 2005 corrupt its databases requiring me to set it up from scratch again. Windows 7 however has been far, far more reliable. My only disappointment has been that the various addons have gradually died off including an iPlayer one.

I don't bother letting my system go to sleep, this is notorious for causing problems. Instead I use a very energy efficient Apple Mac mini as the system.

Windows 7 supports UK subtitles and even red-button services, it even no thanks to Microsoft immediately supported DVB-T2 and hence HDTV channels. It is I think almost certain that it will not be able to do any 4K channels should they ever become available free-to-air.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:45 am

1024MAK wrote:
Why would I want to rush to upgrade my coal powered steam engine of a recording system, given that it is a secondary system only. For BBC TV I use iplayer. For satellite channels I use a Sky TV Sky+ receiver/recorder and for DTT I use a Panasonic HDMI Freeview HDD receiver/recorder that uses the extended over the air DTT guide.

Dumping the existing coal powered steam engine of a recording system means spending more of my time getting a "new" OS and new software on an old PC. Time that I don't have at the moment.

So it's not really a surprise that now it is not being pushed by Microsoft anymore, it's becoming less reliable once again (only for a different reason).
well XP Media center maybe unreliable ( I still have a Media Center XP version all-in-one Pentium 4 pc ), but Windows 7 Media Center has been the most reliable system I have ever had -I used to have Humax settop boxes that used to have lip sync problems so recordings couldnt be trusted and periodically crashed, reset them selves and needed a switch off to sort it out. Media Center is fine for recording shows unlike other systems where they make it hard to get the stuff off the boxes? I suppose it depends on how reliable the base pc is - I use an old intel G41 chipset Asus mb with E8500 cpu/Q8300 that has been ultra reliable and quite low power use, with 4x4TB drives and an os drive in - wakes up from standby to record and goes back to sleep reliably. Now that you can get very cheap Windows 7 prof licences from Ebay for about £7 thats the way to go?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:29 pm

I have seen reports of problems with the MS EPG feed again; just over a month since the last outage.

See you in the EPG123 forum...

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:10 pm

IT Troll wrote:I have seen reports of problems with the MS EPG feed again; just over a month since the last outage.

See you in the EPG123 forum...
Argh! Yes just checked and I only have 7 days left.

A feedback report to Microsoft has already been opened at https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3100848

kramaring

Post by kramaring » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:16 pm

Pleased to say it is working again. My guide settings are now showing an end date of 23/09/2016 12:00:00

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Glad to hear the MS EPG is back again, although I understand people suffered 2-days of completely empty guides. This time the issue was only up voted 27 times MS Connect. It gets less and less each time...

Wakey99

Post by Wakey99 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:53 pm

kramaring wrote:Pleased to say it is working again. My guide settings are now showing an end date of 23/09/2016 12:00:00
I can't think of a recent post anywhere that had made me more relieved and happy! Thank you v much kramaring for sharing this and for the Green Button for notifying me and Gmail for popping it up onto my iPad!

I have just spent a very frustrating 48 hours trying to migrate from BDS to EPG_123. Full marks to Gary Ryan for developing and sharing this - no criticisms of him whatsoever. But the number of problems and issues involved in getting this working with a comprehensive set of free-to-air satellite channels, and the time to learn and resolve them, was beginning to get me down. When this post came through I instantly decided to abandon it for now and go back to the bad old BDS data.

My advice to anyone here with satellite tuners contemplating EPG123 is to allow plenty of time. Days and nights in my case.
Do back up ehome first as per the user guide before allowing WMC to recreate it for EPG123. You can then replace it and be back with BDS quickly, if it's still available.
Maybe try a couple of channels first to get the hang of how it works? i still found problems later though.
Then get all of your WMC satellite channels working with the correct sources before trying to get EPG123 to populate. This took me a very long time rescanning and checking Wikipedia for the correct frequencies.

Automatching stations to channels is necessary or else the guide will not populate. However, this is where things started to go badly wrong for me. Many WMC channels would become disabled when matching. The EPG123 log then showed, for example, station/channel 107 BBC4HD want to match to 909 rather the 107. For the first few channels I was able to swap WMC channel numbers so, in this example, 909 and 107 would be switched. This method actually stopped being effective at 107.

Do get the Guide Tool and pay $5 to activate it to allow subscriptions. I had done this in the last couple of hours and was able to turn off EPG123 automatching and link stations and channels using Guide Tool. But I then accidental deleted a WMC channel using Guide Tool and was not able to restore it despite taking backups. Misery was descending...

The kramaring brightened my day up!

I know there is no future in the Microsoft provided EPG data. I know I am going to have to move to another and eventually do away with WMC. But nothing else is available that does what WMC now does for us and has done very well for years. Turning off WMC will be another Concorde moment in my life.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:37 pm

It is fair to say that most FreeSat users have struggled with the initial setup of EPG123. It does require a significant amount of "hand-cranking" which can soon become frustrating if a mistake is made.

What we need is for some kind soul to put together a step-by-step guide to make the process simpler for others. I only have Freeview (which is much more straightforward) so I can't help I'm afraid.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:10 am

I've taken a look at some youtube videos on setting up WMC for DVB-S and looks fun to say the least. The best I can do is direct the user to setup WMC normally except deny the program guide ToS. For DVB-S this process looks to be fairly manual and painful.

I can not stress this enough, but ...
If the tuner (DVB-S/DVB-T/CableCARD/ATSC/whatever) says BBC HD is channel 8, and the lineup selected in epg123 says BBC HD is channel 20 ... for the love of all things holy, DO NOT SELECT AUTOMATCH.

EPG123 uses the original channel number (scanned channel number) to match with the selected lineup's channel number. It does not use callsigns, and it does not get fooled by the user changing the channel number. The actual true physical channel frequency/designation is what epg123 uses to perform the automatch. Without automatch, the only way to get the proper listings in the guide is to manually select the listings by editing the channels in WMC, or use Guide Tool to manually do the matching there. WMC is safest, while Guide Tool is easiest and quickest.

I'll emphasize what IT Troll requested ... if anyone out there can produce a step-by-step guide to help everyone out, it would be immensely appreciated. It doesn't even have to be a real guide, just take some screen captures and narrate what needs to be done. We can work on polishing it up and making it pretty.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:51 pm