Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
doctordrd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by doctordrd » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:02 am

I lost program data for 10 OTA channels by switching from Zap2it to Rovi. That includes NBC 12.1 and Fox 10.1 in Phoenix. The Rovi guide doesn't even support the major network. WMC is crippled as a DVR.

Windom

Post by Windom » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:04 am

tzr916 wrote: might want to check http://www.tvguide.com/listings/
matches my Rovi WMC listings (including nine channels with wrong timezone).
Well the channels and shows may match, but the TV Guide listings actually have descriptions for many of the shows that my MC doesn't have.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:06 am

doctordrd wrote:I lost program data for 10 OTA channels by switching from Zap2it to Rovi. That includes NBC 12.1 and Fox 10.1 in Phoenix. The Rovi guide doesn't even support the major network. WMC is crippled as a DVR.
it is probably an MS issue or Rovi frequency mapping issue, i'm getting no vhf channels automatically in Los Angeles, you need to add them manually, then use guide tool to subscribe to a listing that has guide data for those channels

mlcarson

Post by mlcarson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:45 am

The problem that a lot of us have is that there is no listing available for those channels that are missing guide data. Guide tool cannot solve this if there's nothing to map to.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:51 am

mlcarson wrote:The problem that a lot of us have is that there is no listing available for those channels that are missing guide data. Guide tool cannot solve this if there's nothing to map to.
if its rovi's fault contact them, they will work to resolve guide issues, but may take time to resolve

http://www.rovicorp.com/company/contact.html

mlcarson

Post by mlcarson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 am

I don't think that's what the form is for and don't really expect any response but I did submit 3 issues:
1. No guide service available
2. Guide data 2 hours in the future
3. Channel listed as an IPTV lineup when it is an OTA channel only.
hansolo89 wrote:
mlcarson wrote:The problem that a lot of us have is that there is no listing available for those channels that are missing guide data. Guide tool cannot solve this if there's nothing to map to.
if its rovi's fault contact them, they will work to resolve guide issues, but may take time to resolve

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:33 am

mlcarson wrote:I don't think that's what the form is for and don't really expect any response but I did submit 3 issues:
1. No guide service available
2. Guide data 2 hours in the future
3. Channel listed as an IPTV lineup when it is an OTA channel only.
hansolo89 wrote:

you need to force update, and try recovery commands if no data, may need to setup tv from scratch also, if it pulls new data you are good, any outdated lineup contact rovi for updated lineup

mlcarson

Post by mlcarson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

Maybe I'm just not communicating well. The problem isn't a download issue or a complete lack of data. It's the fact that Rovi just doesn't have guide service for some channels. Guide Tool lists what it has available in my area from Rovi -- there are certain channels where there just flat out isn't guide service data available and other channels where the guide data is wrong because Rovi has the timezone wrong. And they're flat out inventing guide lineups with IPTV that are not present in my area -- this doesn't bother me as much since I can use the guide data but it's still wrong.

We're not customers of Rovi -- Microsoft is. In a perfect world, Microsoft should be taking our complaints and then passing them on to Rovi. I've submitted numerous tickets with Microsoft but they seem to be ignored. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Rovi actually replies back and works to fix things but they have no obligation to talk to me at all. My expectations are pretty low regarding Rovi at this point in time. This issues that so many of us are having kind of explains why Rovi might be a less expensive service provider and why Microsoft moved to them. This saves Microsoft money and works to kill a product that they want to see dead anyway.
hansolo89 wrote:

you need to force update, and try recovery commands if no data, may need to setup tv from scratch also, if it pulls new data you are good, any outdated lineup contact rovi for updated lineup

Ladislaus

Post by Ladislaus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 am

Ladislaus wrote:I am encountering "The new TV setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available, will be used as you continue through the TV signal setup." error* while attempting to download new lineup information for my service provider. (Rovi has supposedly fixed the guide data in my area, which makes this error all the more frustrating.)

In an attempt to download a valid EpgLineups file from one of the EPG servers, I have set my HOSTS file to use various IP Addresses listed throughout this thread (each time flushing my cached DNS entries after setting the value), including trying no values set in the HOSTS file. None of these attempts succeeded.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, have you been able to successfully resolve it?

*Also known as the "Failed to retrieve EpgLineups (Error: There is an error in XML document (1, ###).)" Media Center event log error.
I posted on the Microsoft Answers forum here (and got a brief reply, so at least they are being read & replied to):
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 472&auth=1

Following the answer that I received there [above], I posted a feedback entry to the Microsoft Connect boards [you'll need to be logged in to access]:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1557697

If you've had this error, then please post your "provider and zipcode" as I was directed to by Barb Bowman, Microsoft MVP.

I hope this helps.

Quazicky

Post by Quazicky » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:58 pm

hansolo89 wrote:The "About" page indicates zap2it for both my Fios lineup as well as "Digital Terrestrial Lineup". The date on the Fios lineup is 7/27/2015 12:00:00 PM and for the terrestrial is 7/30/2015 10:00:00 PM.
For what it's worth, I'm also on FIOS and I'm in the same situation as far as guide data goes. It even runs out on the same date.

I've decided to wait until this Wednesday until I start trying to force an update.

wifiwanderer

Post by wifiwanderer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Ladislaus wrote:Following the answer that I received there [above], I posted a feedback entry to the Microsoft Connect boards [you'll need to be logged in to access]:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1557697

If you've had this error, then please post your "provider and zipcode" as I was directed to by Barb Bowman, Microsoft MVP.

I hope this helps.
Gave it a try. Logged in, then left my zip code and provider (OTA).

wifiwanderer

Post by wifiwanderer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:26 pm

Just ran WMC's Set Up TV Signal. Got Rovi's OTA Fresno-Visalia California listings through 31 July 2015. Initial browse of the listings looked good.

Jcsmith1724

Post by Jcsmith1724 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:10 pm

How do I get EPG?
I've just purchase a Ceton tuner and installed it to find out the the guide data will not download. This causing my clients to not stream the channels properly. Can any provide a fix?

Whiznot

Post by Whiznot » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm located in Albany, Ga and the WMC Rovi guide for my area has one terrible problem for football lovers. The guide omits the SEC Network.

Is the SEC Network omitted globally or is it only a problem in my area? Does your guide list SECN?

Juggler77

Post by Juggler77 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Has anyone in the cablevision Systems Raritan Digital area found a solution?
I am running 2 setups. One is windows 8 with a ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe and the other is windows 7 and a ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH.
The windows 8 PC received the Rovi update and screwed everything up. I lost all 700 channels and now I have duplicates of most of the lower channel in SD. Some of my 800 channels are working.
The windows 7 machine was working fine except I was not receiving any channel data. It was still pointing to Zap2it. I added the host file changes and reran the guide update. Now my windows 8 machine looks like my windows 7 machine. Maybe I should have left it alone?

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Here's what my WMC has been doing since last week:

Randomly shutting down and restarting; screen goes black and a window appears saying "Windows Media Center has stopped working". It checks for a solution and does not report finding one. Sometimes it stops and starts over and over without working properly.
Adding dozens and dozens of channels to the guide I've previously removed, some duplicates.
Wrong listings. For example, the program name and description are for a program not even on the network/channel.
No year for film listings.
Very small (one line) plot descriptions for films.
A number of DTV local channels have lost all program information.
And other not seen before glitches.

At first it did not accept the Rovi info (still on zap2it) but now it's on Rovi for cable and "Media Center Default" for DTV locals.

DTV Tuner, Detroit TV market.
Comcast, Plymouth/Northville/Canton, MI area.

Here's hoping this gets straightened out.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:55 pm

I got the Rovi update overnight. When I clicked on the channel guide this morning, WMC froze and displayed white spinning circle. I tried to go through the TV signal setup wizard again, but I keep getting the error "The new TV setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available, will be used as you continue through the TV signal setup."

I tried to remove/re-install WMC, deleted contents of the ehome folder, different zip codes, host file tweaks, etc, with no success.

At this point, I am going to restore a system image from a few days ago, and hope this gets resolved soon. I had guide data until 7/27 with Zap2it.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

raynewman

Post by raynewman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:02 pm

I have a bigger problem.
I can not install WMC on ANY new/old win7 installation.
4 different computers. 2 I never installed tuners/wmc & 2 brand new 64bit win7 computers.
tries ceton & hd homerun prime
message something like:
"failed to download epg will use current one"
however because I NEVER had EPG installed before, watching/recording TV is impossible.

Now what??
Thanks,
Ray

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Those that are in real desperate straights, it is possible to set a few things up, download the guide through Schedule Direct, convert then import the file and then add each channel manually.

I started a thread investigating possible solutions:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=8927
I shall attempt to compile a brief how-to tonight if I get time, otherwise you can work it out reading through the thread.

Certainly not ideal but it is possible to do things manually, setup the most important channels (WAF+1) then recheck recording schedule to get the important stuff recording again (WAF+2).
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

aplovisia

Post by aplovisia » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Guide for my local PBS station has programming only thru 6pm today. Nothing after that. I have downloaded the guide listings several times to no avail.