Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
hansolo89

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by hansolo89 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:30 am

Same here (rerunning TV Setup will pull the OTA guide from Rovi though), but since I only have CableCARD tuners, it doesn't really affect me

great I need ota data but you get it from rovi? but zap2it is only source from me, it still works so far but ota won't switch to rovi data

Try rerunning TV Setup and the OTA guide should switch to Rovi
I doubt it, I have a win 8.1 pc that switched to rovi for cable, but reran as ota and get zap2it :(

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:54 am

The manual updates say they're successful but nothing has changed for 3 days. It's still says Zap2it & is stuck as 7-22.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:16 am

hansolo89 wrote:
Same here (rerunning TV Setup will pull the OTA guide from Rovi though), but since I only have CableCARD tuners, it doesn't really affect me

great I need ota data but you get it from rovi? but zap2it is only source from me, it still works so far but ota won't switch to rovi data

Try rerunning TV Setup and the OTA guide should switch to Rovi
I doubt it, I have a win 8.1 PC that switched to rovi for cable, but reran as ota and get zap2it :(
That's odd, when I rerun TV Setup, both the Guide sources in About say Rovi (and match the lineup name on Rovi). Not sure what to do then :cry:

JeremyFr79

Post by JeremyFr79 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:53 am

So I finally got it working, someone posted up tonight from my area on the Microsoft Feedback site with the following information for my hosts file

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

Once I put this in my HOSTS.....BAM tv setup worked flawlessly and I have ROVI guide data now. My only complaint is MCL had issue with quite a few channels due to the way ROVI names them compared to Zap2It

lionvision

Post by lionvision » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:30 pm

same problem

I have an old wmc install (100% genuine retail windows 7 on a 2009 Mac mini connected to an hdhomerun prime) which has been fine until it started blue screening last week.

I decided to build a new one onto a newer Mac mini I have ( they're small, quiet and sexy with built in speakers for a guest room while serving xboxs on the main TV's)

I have no guide data after two clean/fresh reinstalls, I can connect to the tuners and get live TV but whenever I run the TV setup it doesn't show me any options for TV providers/lineups in the countless zip codes I've put in... in other words I don't even get as far as choosing which guide to download in the first place. it always gives me the download failed error.

I have set googles DNS, I have done the hosts files trick, I have done a clean reinstall, I have connected a vpn which I know is on timewarner (my home connection is fios).

I've trashed the ehome folder to reset wmc.

I'm at my wits end.

so I've tried to get clever. my old box will run for up to a half hour before spazzing out ... and it still gets epg updates (seriously wtf?). I attempted to copy the whole ehome folder to my new machine, but that just freaked it out. so I tried just copying the various items that say epg... first time I did it it seemed to say it had detected an error and was redownloading - it started to do a very large download which had me thinking it was actually pulling the data having the correct provider now... but that eventually failed.

my theory is I have a twofold problem.
1: wmc TV setup never gets to a point where it knows WHAT guide data to download... download failure at the zipcode entry every time
2: if I can set the correct region/provider it will actually successfully download - but the sheer size will sometimes fail, this is ok because I have faith that eventually one of the downloads will succeed.

A: does anyone know of a way I can properly copy the epg and/or just find my provider in my old box, and then set those in the new one manually? I feel like if I can seed it properly I'll be good.

B: secondly does anyone know if I can install a third party epg or something that will simply download and update the epg for wmc independently? I've looked at "guide tool" and "epg collector" but I can't make heads or tails of them.

I am a programmer , I have a degree in comp sci and run a god damn IT company and this is kicking my ass... like seriously... wmc is such an extraordinary excellent product - but shit like this is why open source is the way to go - especially when it's essentially abandoned by MS.

thanks in advance for any clues/help.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:03 pm

JeremyFr79 wrote:So I finally got it working, someone posted up tonight from my area on the Microsoft Feedback site with the following information for my hosts file

Once I put this in my HOSTS.....BAM tv setup worked flawlessly and I have ROVI guide data now. My only complaint is MCL had issue with quite a few channels due to the way ROVI names them compared to Zap2It
Thanks! Just tried it here and it worked. Did not have to re-run tv setup.
Changed HOSTS file IP's.
Flush DNS
Manual Guide Update (get latest guide listings)
About Guide now shows Rovi for Comcast Stockton Digital.
Strangely shows Zap2it for Digital Terrestrial Lineup, but I don't have any OTA tuners so doesn't appear to matter.

Had to remove (uncheck) a bunch of SD channels and some high numbered HD channels from the guide.
Also noticed a select few of the MCLXL logos aren't showing, which I can fix.
Recording list looks normal and one recording has already fired normally.

Extra thoughts on this Rovi change:
1. This isn't going to resolve the frequent MS guide outages. Because when the guide outages happen, it's never been the fault of Zap2it. Changing the source of the guide info has nothing to do with MS servers mysteriously failing occasionally. I predict we will still have the same MS guide outages.
2. This isn't going to solve the MS DNS issues. Obviously some IP's work for some people and some just don't and never will. HOST file mod's are still going to be needed for some users (like me).
3. This is clearly just another move by MS to save money.
Last edited by tzr916 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glorp

Post by glorp » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:08 pm

You guys with fresh installs and CableCARDs have run the Digital Cable Advisor at some point right?

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:30 pm

tzr916 wrote:...This is clearly just another move by MS to save money.
They have to try and recoup at least a bit of Ballmers Nokia buyout somehow ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm in Cablevision, in Yonkers. One of my pcs was cut iver last night...wow, did they screw this up. Re ran tuner setup, and half of my HD channels are gone....wrong call sign. For example, ESPN was ESPNHD. New setup pulls ESPN-HD, and its still an SD channel. UGH...this is goign to be messy.

ANyone else with this issue?

JeremyFr79

Post by JeremyFr79 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:38 pm

glorp wrote:You guys with fresh installs and CableCARDs have run the Digital Cable Advisor at some point right?
Yes several times, the issue is with MS/Akamai and where the DNS server you use points you on Akamais end.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:30 pm

I have not changed my hosts file - yet. But Googled to find out more on the subject & now am confused.

Here they're putting in address so it will be blocked.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/be ... osts-file/

Here they're putting in address so your PC will "only to look directly at the IP address specified.".
http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_cent ... hosts-file

What determines if the address will be blocked or force the PC to look at it?
If the PC is forced to look at an address then won't that prevent the PC from looking at other websites?

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:46 pm

JeremyFr79 wrote:So I finally got it working, someone posted up tonight from my area on the Microsoft Feedback site with the following information for my hosts file

Excellent. I had also tried the HOSTS file method and it didn't work for me, but I believe my IP addresses were different than yours. I'm glad you found a solution.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:08 pm

Mike88 wrote: What determines if the address will be blocked or force the PC to look at it?
If the PC is forced to look at an address then won't that prevent the PC from looking at other websites?
If you put 0.0.0.0 the web address will be blocked.

If you put the correct IP then your pc will use it in stead of your local ISP's DNS Server.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:13 pm

My WMC was updated to the new guide. Channel arrangement has changed and now I can't get the HD channels. I am with Cablevision in NYC. The channel is labeled as HD but I get SD. This isn't looking good right now.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:16 pm

deihmos wrote:My WMC was updated to the new guide. Channel arrangement has changed and now I can't get the HD channels. I am with Cablevision in NYC. The channel is labeled as HD but I get SD. This isn't looking good right now.
There's a whole thread about it already with some workarounds.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =13&t=8909

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks but I don't see any workarounds. This isn't good.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:27 pm

deihmos wrote:Thanks but I don't see any workarounds. This isn't good.
Post 6, using Guide Tool.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:28 pm

That tool does not work on Windows 8. This is really ridiculous because now WMC detects SD channels as HD. Everything has worked fine for years.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:29 pm

Is anyone missing any channels now? BBC America is now MIA from my guide lineup in WMC - but it's in my HDHR app after doing a scan with the HDHR config app.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:32 pm

Ed  wrote:Is anyone missing any channels now? BBC America is now MIA from my guide lineup in WMC - but it's in my HDHR app after doing a scan with the HDHR config app.
Yes, I don't have HBO Family in the new lineup, but it appears to be the only channel I lost.