Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:34 am

I believe that uninstall tuner and reset WMC give you a clean slate to work with.

timidhermit

Post by timidhermit » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:22 am

Please help...

This just happened a couple of days.

Have previously successfully switched over to Rovi EPG from Zap2It.

However, now I am unable to download guide. Message saying that Epglisting.enc server URL does not exist on server.

Currently using Rovi - Rogers Cablesystems Toronto Standard Cale ID: 309137022 TV Signal Set-Top Box (according to Guide info listed in Setting)

Is there another changeover of the EPG for Canada?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:09 pm

timidhermit wrote:Please help...

Are you running Vista?
What SP?
64 or 32 bit?

Sorry I wont be much help directly but I might be able to point you in the right direction. Ask the same question......

EPG Cutover Vista SP2

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 958#p94958

VISTA WMC Stuck on Zap2it

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =93&t=9031

What is WMC EPG file "prefs.xml"on Vista HP 32-bit/OTA?

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 288#p95288
Last edited by Crash2009 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:23 pm

One more....

VISTA WMC Stuck on Zap2it

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =93&t=9031

fyfchu

Post by fyfchu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:58 pm

fyfchu wrote:
fyfchu wrote:I suspect that everyone has heard that it is now possible to get WMC to run on Windows 10 64 bit edition:

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/09/ge ... asy-steps/

Since I presently have two Windows 7 installations running, I was excited to hear this and quickly followed the instructions on my "test" computer. It did work once I moved from 32 bit to 64 bit Windows 10 and installed k lite codecs. However, I still can't get the program guide to download.

I tried the usual tricks that were posted here in July. They didn't seem to work for me then and aren't working now. The only thing which did work in July was waiting until Microsoft did updates. (I verified that this was critical when I recently rebuilt a computer. The EPG wouldn't download until all the updates had loaded.) However, the W10 updates don't seem to help.

Has anyone gotten the EPG to work for WMC on W10? Any tricks?
After fighting with this for multiple days, multiple reformats and reloads of Windows 10, trying all the posted solutions, trying every zip code I could think of including for other cities around the US, the EPG loaded this morning. I hadn't changed anything from the ~5 times I tried to load it last night, so I have no explanation for why it worked this time. Perhaps the Rovi server finally gave me access? Could it be overloaded? Does it have something to do with Windows 10?

I am now trying to decide whether I should upgrade my two Windows 7 systems to Windows 10 given the uncertainty in getting the EPG. I would be curious to hear if anyone else has had success getting WMC up and running with EPG on Windows 10.

Thanks.
More on this issue. My Windows 10 test system got a virus so I had to reload everything. I did that about a week ago and I have had NO LUCK getting the epg to download. Has anyone found a simple way to get Media Center on Windows 10 to download the program guide from Rovi? I built another Windows 7 system and Media Center downloaded the epg on that system on the third try.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:52 am

This was my experience with it.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 370#p99370

Start reading around page 176

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1186170

Get 6.3.9600.16384_x64_v10 Make sure its v10

v2.1 works for non protected, but it's a tough install
v10 is easy as pie

fyfchu

Post by fyfchu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:40 am

Can you tell me where to find version 6.3.9600.16384_x64_v10? I was using v 10.0.10134.0.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:03 am

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =97&t=9484

Don't forget to run uninstall.bat from v2.1 before you install v10

Read the readme and the workaround before you get started

fyfchu

Post by fyfchu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:56 am

I followed Crash2009's instructions and was able to get WMC working with Windows 10 home and the program guide. The additional hints to move the "network service" to the administrator group enabled me to get the system to wake up from sleep mode and do recordings.

Thanks to Crash2009 and the others at mydigitallife who did the work to get this to go.

chupon

Post by chupon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Well it looks like I have bad timing. Just had to refresh my windows 8 machine and when I went to set up WMC again I realize I am now having problems.

OTA guide data seems ok, but my digital cable data is missing.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:36 pm

chupon wrote:Well it looks like I have bad timing. Just had to refresh my windows 8 machine and when I went to set up WMC again I realize I am now having problems.

OTA guide data seems ok, but my digital cable data is missing.
Run TV setup again and see if you can add the digital lineup (its just after the zip part) you might have to scroll down to see other lineups.

If the digital lineup is not there, you might need to figure out how to use the tool called Lineup Selector.

seijirou

Post by seijirou » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:44 pm

yabasoya wrote:I have 5 PC's, 10 tuners (Infinitv6 and Infinitv4). 4 out of 5 has the guide issue not turning from Zap2It to Rovi.
I've been looking at this for a couple of days and decided to try to focus on my firewall.

I found that WMC was trying to contact IP 191.232.80.197. That is in Brazil!! My firewall is set to block Brazil.
cblock.PNG
I allowed that country through my firewall and all PC's started updating.

Just my experience.

Thanks for this. I've been without a guide since june or july and I think this at least some of the problem I've got. I'm blocking all of south america.

jgagliano1363

Post by jgagliano1363 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:15 am

seijirou wrote:
yabasoya wrote:I have 5 PC's, 10 tuners (Infinitv6 and Infinitv4). 4 out of 5 has the guide issue not turning from Zap2It to Rovi.
I've been looking at this for a couple of days and decided to try to focus on my firewall.

I found that WMC was trying to contact IP 191.232.80.197. That is in Brazil!! My firewall is set to block Brazil.
cblock.PNG
I allowed that country through my firewall and all PC's started updating.

Just my experience.

Thanks for this. I've been without a guide since june or july and I think this at least some of the problem I've got. I'm blocking all of south america.
This post just saved me from 2 hours+ of troubleshooting... I even started with a WMC reset because my guide list wasn't updating.. I couldn't think of anything else to try.. Then I ran across this post and remembered that last week I enabled pfBlocker in pfSense and was blocking south america as well... I just disabled it and now can update and continue my WMC setup. Thanks for posting this!

cwienk

Post by cwienk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:11 pm

It sounds like issues with the Guide are common, and I'm having trouble getting it to work. One solution I found was to re-run the TV Signal Set Up. I had to do this several months ago, and it seemed to resolve the problem. Recently, the guide quit working again. I tried to run the Set Up this time, but it just hangs up at the 'Download TV Setup Data' screen (after I enter a zip code). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[Moderator note: topic merged; search before posting]

jackbonn@gmail.com

Post by jackbonn@gmail.com » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:10 pm

I had a similar issue and following these steps solved the problem. Thanks!

My issue was that some of the channels were missing the guide listings. Not all the channels, just some of them. The missing listings would display as "No data available.", yet the remaining listings were OK. Thought I would pass this along in case others have a similar issue.

Thanks again.

dukeynstewie wrote:Just wanted to share what worked for me step by step:

Make sure to close WMC

A-) Modify Host File

- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
-Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
-Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
-When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
-In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
-Click Open.
-Replace the IP address at the bottom of file with:
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
-Click File > Save to save your changes.

B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
-Open Task Scheduler - Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
-In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
-Close Task Scheduler

C-DNS FLUSH

-Click Start.
-Select Programs.
-Select Accessories and locate the Command Prompt shortcut.
-Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu.
-Type ipconfig /release in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been released.
-Type ipconfig /renew in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been re-established.
-Type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt.
-Close the command prompt and reboot computer

Last step is to run "Set Up TV Signal" from the WMC settings menu. After running the set up it should take 3-5 mins for the guide to update. Hope it helps.